Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2024, 08:06 AM

208 posts, read 129,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I don't know anything particular about the Bronx or this movie theater...and this has been happening pretty much everywhere

Staten Island lost a big theater on Forest Ave after Covid, and it was probably the biggest one on the North Shore and I don't hear anyone complaining about it.

With the comfort and speed in which new releases make it to streaming I'm not really surprised people aren't going like they used to. No matter how much they try to hype of up a new release they're still pretty mild in quality.

Prices are ridiculous and have been so for a long time now, years even and although I can afford it, I still don't want to spend $12 for a large popcorn...so there's that. Besides, I have a 75 inch screen in my office that has access to just about anything and I have a pause button on my remote. Times have changed

impo theaters will become like drive in theaters...a few will stick around, but only as a novelty
You are correct... Movie theaters have been closing all over. Yeah people don't like to admit it - but it is a demographic issue. The Bronx is the most heavily minority part of NYC (and if it's own city would be the highest of any major city)... So one side of the political divide despises it because that... The other side uses it as a way to score political points with "we want to help you" (which they don't because they more create dependency). I've had relatives come from out of town and just after a week ask "why do they always talk so negatively about The Bronx all the time?". LOL. Yeah it's a real thing. But just read even this site. You would think The Bronx was still stuck in 1991. Or like Detroit. Fact is Orlando and Miami are booming places that have both higher violent crime and property crime rates than The Bronx. But they don't get such negative talk. I mean even San Antonio, Texas has a close violent crime rate and has a higher property crime. I bring up Austin because I know a guy who moved to NY from San Antonio but is scared of The Bronx - when he had a higher chance of property crime and in some years has a higher homicide rate than The Bronx. Numbers tell a story - but then people's perceptions are another. Race has a lot to do with it.

Last edited by Yac; 05-08-2024 at 02:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2024, 05:02 PM

5,756 posts, read 2,660,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allthatsfit View Post
"the majority"??? so you honestly believe all those new buildings charging $3k rent are filled with people on housing vouchers? Guess what - they pay for some in Manhattan too. But to say the "majority" means you aren't living in reality. There isn't enough largesse to sustain that.
As to the area - believe me I know that neighborhood longer than you. Back in 1995 - nobody would ever think anything would ever get built there like that. Are you sure your concern is new people who move in??? They can move to 100 "up and coming neighborhoods" across the country that are more dangerous than Longwood is now per capita.

In all seriousness if the South Bronx is still so horrible and everything is a scam - then why on earth do you live there?? Go live up in Newburgh or Poughkeepsie. Plenty "rough" - but you will pay much less. I never understand people who live somewhere and complain about it.
I'm good where I am at. I speak the truth. I know my area.

Old 05-06-2024, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
I'm good where I am at. I speak the truth. I know my area.
No offense but you are speaking conjecture - not truth. For example - even as regards the affordable housing built along the 2 train areas... I never lived in the South Bronx - though growing many friends and some girlfriends did (and I have business in the area). I believe I know the pulse. The politicians complain that not enough housing is low income. The people who go to the community boards also complain "affordable for who? we can't afford these". All one has to do is look at the statistics. 60 and 80% of AMI is higher than incomes in those neighborhoods (and you even see 90 and 100 and 130% in the South Bronx). Which means even the affordable housing is bringing in higher income people into those areas. Might not be yuppies and hipsters everyone covets - but gainfully employed people.

As to the housing vouchers - they are simply not that abundant to make up the majority of renters in those market rate buildings. I just chose a random small boutique building near Crotona Park and another larger one near The Zoo. You really believe these will be filled with majority voucher tenants?

https://www.apartments.com/1323-chis...t-7-a/gb068hx/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...52977033_zpid/

Old 05-06-2024, 08:18 PM

Quote:
No offense but you are speaking conjecture - not truth. For example - even as regards the affordable housing built along the 2 train areas... I never lived in the South Bronx - though growing many friends and some girlfriends did (and I have business in the area). I believe I know the pulse. The politicians complain that not enough housing is low income. The people who go to the community boards also complain "affordable for who? we can't afford these". All one has to do is look at the statistics. 60 and 80% of AMI is higher than incomes in those neighborhoods (and you even see 90 and 100 and 130% in the South Bronx). Which means even the affordable housing is bringing in higher income people into those areas. Might not be yuppies and hipsters everyone covets - but gainfully employed people.

As to the housing vouchers - they are simply not that abundant to make up the majority of renters in those market rate buildings. I just chose a random small boutique building near Crotona Park and another larger one near The Zoo. You really believe these will be filled with majority voucher tenants?

https://www.apartments.com/1323-chis...t-7-a/gb068hx/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...52977033_zpid/
Difference is I live here and am involved in my community. So ya I know. But you want to pretend you know it all. Have at it my friend. I know people like you need to be right and have the last say. So yup sure whatever u say.

Old 05-07-2024, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Difference is I live here and am involved in my community. So ya I know. But you want to pretend you know it all. Have at it my friend. I know people like you need to be right and have the last say. So yup sure whatever u say.
In other words - you have no actual facts... Just opinion. "I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy".
Come on... I can take you to Orange County in Monroe and find those shady type of deals. We are talkign actual stats and facts though... And if I was a gambler I would bet I have a longer relationship with the area than you do even though I don't live there. I knew those streets when it was really bombed out. When the old courthouse on 3rd ave. was surrounded by vacant lots like it was on a movie set. Now a block over there are the Aurora Condominiums very nearby for middle and working class buyers (which is really what the area needs as opposed to such a high percentage of rentals). Not the million dollar ones you would see in Brooklyn and Manhattan - but for you or Eyewitness news to pretend there has been no improvement in the area is plain ridiculous... No offense.

Old 05-07-2024, 09:00 PM

Quote:
In other words - you have no actual facts... Just opinion. "I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy".
Come on... I can take you to Orange County in Monroe and find those shady type of deals. We are talkign actual stats and facts though... And if I was a gambler I would bet I have a longer relationship with the area than you do even though I don't live there. I knew those streets when it was really bombed out. When the old courthouse on 3rd ave. was surrounded by vacant lots like it was on a movie set. Now a block over there are the Aurora Condominiums very nearby for middle and working class buyers (which is really what the area needs as opposed to such a high percentage of rentals). Not the million dollar ones you would see in Brooklyn and Manhattan - but for you or Eyewitness news to pretend there has been no improvement in the area is plain ridiculous... No offense.
Yes sir.

Old 05-07-2024, 10:21 PM

2,666 posts, read 1,258,761 times
I got banned from all local movie theaters.

Can't detail why (this is a family site) but for a hint watch the movie "Diner" by Barry Levinson...

Old 05-14-2024, 06:31 AM

25,411 posts, read 37,185,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
I remember seeing Twister at a small theater in Riverdale with my grandmother but it closed at least 20 years ago.
john, You can watch TWISTER again on AMC this Sunday (5/19), 7PM I believe, with your own microwaved popcorn and a cold beer sitting comfortably in a recliner. Your feet won't stick to the floor either.

Old Today, 08:56 AM

52 posts, read 104,498 times
Before 2020 I'd go to the first or second show at that theater pretty much every other Sunday. It was super chill because it would just be 5 - 6 people in there with me. Past few years I just been going to Bay Plaza, Ridge Hill and Lincoln Sq.

As someone that watches a lot of movies, I'd love an option to view IMAX and Dolby Digital formats in the BX.

If I remember correctly, a movie theater WAS planned in or around that building with the Hip Hop museum by Bronx Terminal Market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City