Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2024, 12:00 PM

2 posts, read 395 times

Advertisements

Hello.

We will be driving through NY and our goal is to see Central Park, Empire State Building and any other attractions if time is allowed.

Is there a somewhat affordable place to stay for one night within 20 minutes or so of Manhattan? I know the closer we get, the $$ it will be so we don't mind staying a little outside the city then just drive in for the day.

Speaking of which, although I'm from Chicago, I think your traffic will be worse. I hate sitting in traffic so I'd rather drive 20 minutes out of my way to get to Manhattan if it meant coming in a "back door" or some other route or side road with less congestion. I know once I get there I'll have to deal with it, but I want to avoid sitting in traffic as long as possible Lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2024, 01:59 PM

5,743 posts, read 2,645,424 times
What's considered affordable to you?

No back way, Manhattan is an island. You gotta either go in via a bridge or tunnel.

Old 05-09-2024, 02:04 PM

2 posts, read 395 times
$100 or so. Might have to go a little further out, (Pennsylvania? Lol) but again, I don't mind driving a little...

Old 05-09-2024, 02:22 PM

1,492 posts, read 773,181 times
The hotels you’ll get for 100 dollars you will not want. Probably 200 or so will get you a decent hotel for the night.

Old 05-09-2024, 02:52 PM

24 posts, read 16,516 times
In the city within the last six months I stayed at pods time square which was ok and pods e 39th which wasn't so great. Idk how many are with u, I was just solo to see concerts. They are very no frills.

U could go to rte 17 Ramsey mahwah NJ area and get a place and take train from Ramsey. That wouldn't be too bad.

There are also 2 hotels in East Brunswick NJ adjacent to a bus station, that would be an option as well.

Old 05-09-2024, 03:26 PM

1,080 posts, read 557,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moviefan411 View Post
Hello.

We will be driving through NY and our goal is to see Central Park, Empire State Building and any other attractions if time is allowed.

Is there a somewhat affordable place to stay for one night within 20 minutes or so of Manhattan? I know the closer we get, the $$ it will be so we don't mind staying a little outside the city then just drive in for the day.

Speaking of which, although I'm from Chicago, I think your traffic will be worse. I hate sitting in traffic so I'd rather drive 20 minutes out of my way to get to Manhattan if it meant coming in a "back door" or some other route or side road with less congestion. I know once I get there I'll have to deal with it, but I want to avoid sitting in traffic as long as possible Lol.
Hotel prices depend when you're coming. If it's high tourist season, prices will be at their highest. I suggest looking at basic sites like expedia and hotels.com and searching for hotels in Long Island City, Queens (this is not Long Island - it's Queens right next to Manhattan). Then if you find something that looks ok, do another search for RECENT reviews and make sure the hotel is not being used as a shelter.

Where are you going to park? Maybe a hotel in NJ would be better, one that has cheap or free parking and then you can just get public transportation into nyc for the day. Sorry I am not familaier enough with NJ to suggest a place

There was someone on here a while ago who used to visit NYC and stay in a hotel in Staten Island (one of the 5 borough of NYC). That might actaully work for you as well because the parking should be free or cheap, the hotels are cheaper and the STaten Island ferry is free. If it were me I wouldn't want to deal with a ferry it looks like for you budget is a big issue

Last edited by Metromoxo; 05-09-2024 at 04:28 PM..

Old 05-09-2024, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviefan411 View Post
$100 or so. Might have to go a little further out, (Pennsylvania? Lol) but again, I don't mind driving a little...
You will have to stay far for $100 a night.
Make sure you factor in bus/train tickets from where ever you stay and time. Because time is money especially if you aren't here long.

One poster suggested East Brunswick. I looked that up out of curiosity. Takes and hour and a half to get into Manhattan/2 buses and costs $15 per person each way.

If you look into LIC or SI, like another poster suggested, depending upon the day you can probably get something for $150+, a night if its a random weekday.

Old 05-09-2024, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
The hotels you’ll get for 100 dollars you will not want. Probably 200 or so will get you a decent hotel for the night.
Yah no way in h3ll would I stay at some of the affordable hotels. I stay at high end ones for work and even those can make you question certain things.
I'm guessing the OP is young though, you know before you ponder things too much

Old 05-09-2024, 07:04 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,888,744 times
There's a handful of affordable decent hotels in Long Island City, Queens with no homeless presence. Just make sure you concentrate your search south of the Queensborough Bridge.

Old 05-09-2024, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyDaze View Post
There's a handful of affordable decent hotels in Long Island City, Queens with no homeless presence. Just make sure you concentrate your search south of the Queensborough Bridge.
That's not true, there are a couple in LIC uses to house Migrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City