Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2007, 06:58 AM

4 posts, read 23,048 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am planning to move to NYC from India with my husband and 5 years old kid.

We need input for best places to stay close to NYC where we will get good Indian community and good preschool for my kid.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Bhavna
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2007, 08:52 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,370,322 times
In the NYC area there are 3 large South Asian communities. They are Jackson Heights in Queens, Newark Ave in Jersey City (which is probably the smallest of the three), and Edison, New Jersey. Jackson Heights has a more urban feel to it and is right on the 7 subway line. Edison, NJ is definitely more suburban with little houses instead of the apartment buildings you will find in a place like Queens. With Edison you will have to take a commuter train, it is run by NJ Transit, instead of a subway train. Newark Ave in Jersey City, NJ has a much smaller Indian community than the other 2 areas, but it is still fairly significant. This area is located next to the Journal Square PATH station in Jersey City, NJ. The PATH is a subway line that runs from NYC to New Jersey.

If you need any more help or info, let us know.

Old 01-12-2007, 07:23 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,395,579 times
How long of a commute is an acceptable commute? Edison and the surrounding areas of Woodbridge and Iselin are around a 45-55 minute commute via train to New York's Penn Station and have a very large Indian population and good schools, although I'm not sure if that's too far out for you.

Old 01-13-2007, 12:27 AM

Yeah thats true, but its all a trade off. You have a longer commute from Edison, NJ (45 minutes compared to 20 minutes on the 7 from Jackson Heights-Grand Central), but the public schools are much better in Edison than they are in Queens, plus there isn't as much congestion and other crazyness that you will have to deal with while living in Queens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
How long of a commute is an acceptable commute? Edison and the surrounding areas of Woodbridge and Iselin are around a 45-55 minute commute via train to New York's Penn Station and have a very large Indian population and good schools, although I'm not sure if that's too far out for you.

Old 01-13-2007, 03:11 AM

Question Thanks and how much is the rent

Hi All,

Thanks for the inputs and really its helpfull.

Pls tell me the approx. rental in these area or good value rent in / around NYC.

Regards,

Bhavna

Old 01-13-2007, 09:40 AM

You are going to want to consult a webpage such as Craigslist: http://newyork.craigslist.org/ .

I see 1br for $1,200 in Jackson Heights. I'm guessing you will want 2br because of your child. For 2br I see some as cheap as around $1,500 but then many that are higher and closer to $2,000 per month. So it all depends.

Now you might be able, I'm not sure how this will work with you being in India though, to find an apartment owned by an Indian guy who rents mainly to South Asian people. A lot of these types of apartments exist in ethnic enclave neighborhoods and the rents are generally cheaper, sometimes substantially chaper than normally priced apartments.

The only problem with such apartments is that they might not be of the same quality as regular apartments on the market. They might have problems with bugs or something like that or it may not be in as a desireable location.

Old 01-14-2007, 12:18 AM

I don't know why I didn't think of this previously...

You should also check out the town of Parsippany, NJ, especially along Rt. 46. There are lots of South Asians living in this area. This is probably the farthest Indian area from the city though. I think it takes about 1hr on the bus from Parsippany to The Port Authority Bus terminal in the city. Thats definitely a drawback. On the plus side though the schools in Parsippany are really good and the town is quite nice.

Old 01-14-2007, 10:28 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
You are going to want to consult a webpage such as Craigslist: http://newyork.craigslist.org/ .

I see 1br for $1,200 in Jackson Heights. I'm guessing you will want 2br because of your child. For 2br I see some as cheap as around $1,500 but then many that are higher and closer to $2,000 per month. So it all depends.

Now you might be able, I'm not sure how this will work with you being in India though, to find an apartment owned by an Indian guy who rents mainly to South Asian people. A lot of these types of apartments exist in ethnic enclave neighborhoods and the rents are generally cheaper, sometimes substantially chaper than normally priced apartments.

The only problem with such apartments is that they might not be of the same quality as regular apartments on the market. They might have problems with bugs or something like that or it may not be in as a desireable location.
That $1,200 one bedroom in Jackson Heights is now most likely $1,500 - $1,700 or closer to $2,000 due to the reflation of the housing bubble and skyrocketing rents all across the 5 boros and suburbs.

$1,200 will get you a studio in Southeastern Queens near the Belt Parkway -- not ANYWHERE in the Uber Trendy parts of northwest Queens.

Old 01-15-2007, 04:31 AM

Exclamation is it compulsory to take 2 BHK

Hi,

As I mentioned that we need a 1BHK and going to be there with Husband & kid...

Is it compulsory to take 2 BHK or we can take it up only 1BHK and manage it?

REgards,

Bhavna

Old 01-15-2007, 10:26 AM

What do you mean by bhk? Bedroom?

If so, yes you can probably get away with only having a 1br for 3 people. I have seen a lot of people, especially recent immigrants renta a 1br if there are 3 people staying in the apartment. Of course you want to make sure that this is ok with the landlord before you sign the lease. Some landlords may restrict a 1br to only 2 people, so just check before you sign any papers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: