Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 07:33 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,248,856 times

Advertisements

I wasn't recommending mediabistro for a job, but to ask locals about their salaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 08:15 PM

6 posts, read 136,046 times
Thanks so much for your insight...greatly appreciated!

Old 06-23-2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
Do you have a mentor in your college program? Have you asked this question on mediabistro.com?

Unfortunately, it is very hard to get any guidance/assistance at the university I am at..believe me, I have tried!!!

Old 06-23-2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamza View Post
I was a reporter and an editor for five years in various NYC papers... mostly freelance. Please don't take my terible spelleng on tis forem as evidence of my lack of skill... I'm here for fun and definitely NOT in any professional capacity!

Anyway, I can tell you that in my experience, it is extremely tough to work in journalism anymore, but especially in NYC where you have lots of extremely talented journalists from some of the best, and local, journalism schools around (Columbia School of Journalism, anyone?) If you're coming here to GET experience, you're making a mistake... people only come to NYC to work in journalism if they've already been hired somewhere.

I can also tell you that it's extremely, extremely hard to get an actual staff position. The problem is that there are hundreds of freelancers who will work for next-to-nothing just for the headline. This depresses wages in the industry across the entire region.

If you're looking for work with the Big 3 (NYTimes, Post or Daily News/Sun), you'll have a really hard time of it. The Post and Sun may take your freelance stuff, but don't expect to make alot of money... or any.

Honestly, I may be painting too rosey a picture for you. Let me reiterate: it's next to impossible to make a living in journalism alone in this city if you're new at it... and even if you're highly experienced AND manage to get a staff position, they'll pay beans. I thought I had hit the jackpot when I was making $36,000 a year and was getting health insurance.

Furthermore, if you want to go freelance, its gotten increasingly more difficult to get a press pass. And if you don't get a press pass, you are dead. You will have no sway.

However if you insist on coming here, do what many people do and take a second job as a waiter or -- if you're really an excellent writer -- make ends meet by doing blog writing or press releases or something. That's what I did. And press release work can pay really well if you're a good haggler.

You're coming in during the death of the industry. I'm sorry to tell you but you're in for a struggle ahead. Maybe you should consider entering a market with fewer highly experienced and highly desperate writers?

Finally, explore the ethnic papers. They often pay when others don't. Jewish newspapers are especially big in NYC, as are Latino (are you Spanish-speaking?) and West Indies. Try the ethinc rags, then with 10 years under your belt, apply to the Times. Good luck!

Edit: And ignore mediabistro.com --- they're useless. I never once got a job off that site. Craigslist is the way to go, as are personal connections. Most of my jobs came from people I met in person.

Edit full disclosure: I quit journalism after 5 years. I now earn three times as much as I did at my journalistic heights working in a corporate editorial position. I couldn't hack it, but that doesn't mean you can't.

Thank you so much for the thoughtful response. I appreciate all your insight....I didn't realize NYC was not a good place to come to get formal experience, I thought there would be a good number of entry-level jou. jobs, where you could prove yourself and move from there...I guess I have much to think about...such as being in competition with the Columbia grads. Thanks again!

Old 06-24-2008, 08:39 AM

274 posts, read 1,108,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjam View Post
Will be moving to NYC early next year with an English & journalism degree--does anyone know what a starting salary may be?

I know it may greatly depend on where you work, but every job I look at NEVER indicates salary, so I have no idea (though I'm sure it's not much-haha) I'm thinking just an average reporter-type job, or editorial assistant at a large magazine...any approximation would be appreciated!

P.S. Are jobs in this field easy to find?

Most editorial assistants I know are female 20-somethings in flip flops who make peanuts, but live in $3000+ apartments subsidized by dad.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:44 PM

757 posts, read 3,362,152 times
Ace Rock, it's becoming ever more apparent that you run with heirs and heiresses. Are you a gold digger? How does one break into that biz?

Old 04-09-2011, 05:13 PM

1 posts, read 3,723 times
Please anyone can help me and guide me about the salary of fresh journalist! my question is
Q.1 What is the minimum and maximum salary of fresh journalist?
Q.2 Is the press card of Pakistan is for all countries?
Q.3 Is it right to be a journalist in USA and what are the other fields of Mass communication?
Please guide me because in 2 years i am going to do mass communication from Pakistan and is it right to choose this field ?
AND PLEASE I WILL BE GRATEFUL TO YOU IF A EXPERIENCED PERSON CONTACT ME ON MY MAIL
[mod]Not a good idea to post your own email. People can send you a DM on this site, and you can choose to disclose email to them if you want[/mod]

Last edited by bmwguydc; 04-10-2011 at 06:40 PM..

Old 09-02-2012, 07:40 PM

475 posts, read 852,664 times
You would have been better off being a plumber.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:58 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
Yeah, but then he be surrounded each day by coworkers too dimwitted to realize this thread is THREE years old!

Life is a choice.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:36 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,236,702 times
I moved to New York with an English degree....and ended up being a union construction worker, which pays about 6 times more.

I still read lots of books though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City