Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 09:30 PM

922 posts, read 3,862,036 times

Advertisements

There was an off-topic conversation about subway conductors in another thread.

I thought it would be fun to hear stories of some of the funnier or more unusual things you've heard conductors say or do.

Unfortunately, I don't really have a story to begin with. I guess I've had only boring conductors. But I'll bet some of you have some stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 09:38 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,986,001 times
I remember once, I swear the train was hijacked, I got on the N at Broadway and a bunch of teenager kids were talking in the loudspeaker.. "Next stop... 82nd street!!".. I was like yes, now i don't have to transfer at queensboro

Old 06-26-2008, 10:27 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,554,522 times
My conductor on the 2 train when I had to go to the city early Saturday morning. He would announce the stops with real enthusiasm for such time in the morning and would start to laugh or announce a stop or a scheduled detour in slang. Other than that, one conductor announcing the transfers by phonetic alphabet("transfer for the Q as in Quincy") or a motormen announcing the stop(always occurred when I had a female conductor and a male train operator). Plus the occasion kicked in cab and someone playing music over the PA, blasting their headphone and placing it near speaker(always on the B during school). Otherwise, nothing too memorable.

Allegedly Transit has undercover hounds who the ride the subways and buses checking out guys like the conductor on the 2, willing to fire them on the spot if they don't follow the guidelines. Word is they roll like that.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:36 AM

34,093 posts, read 47,309,800 times
i once had a conductor sing from high street-brooklyn bridge to broadway nassau.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-27-2008, 06:55 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,837,831 times
Some of the A train conductors tend to be pretty animated, but the most memorable conductor was actually on, I believe, the 1 train. Because of construction, the train was going to run express from 72nd to 42nd. For the couple of stops before 72nd Street, the conductor jovially announced (several times) the change. He also made comments like, "If you see someone wearing earphones, do your good deed for the day and tell them about the change."

It doesn't sound so funny "on paper," but everyone in the car was laughing by the time we got to 72nd .....

Old 06-27-2008, 01:45 PM

64 posts, read 143,431 times
Oh my Goodness.. I think I was on the same train.. He was YELLING to glory and kept translating No stops after this in every language..from Spanish French to everything else.

So dramatic..everyone was laughing and a few were genuinely annoyed.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:14 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,120,324 times
I used to take the train uptown from Bowling Green in the morning and it was an absolute madhouse. A packed train would pull in and when the doors would open it was a slugfest with people pushing to try get in before letting people off. The doors opened one morning and the conductor was screaming "LET THEM OFF PEOPLE, LET THEM OFF. STAND BACK FROM THE DOORS AND LET THE PEOPLE OFF BEFORE YOU GET ON". But the train was originally a Brooklyn bound train that went out of service on the other side and changed tracks - it was completely empty. We all stood there looking at him unitl he burst out laughing.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:19 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,610,917 times
I myself was working on an N train that had problems with the PA system. Transit sent someone to check it out, and while we were crossing into Manhattan over the bridge, I was asked to test the PA. So I gave everyone on the train an impromptu guided tour of the views available from the train. (MTA does not like its conductors to improvise with announcements, but this was an official request and so I could comply).

Old 06-27-2008, 03:55 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,293,243 times
I'm almost a little saddened that they're reorganizing the Fulton/Broadway station. I have to admit I get a bit of a kick watching people do Olympic sprints to catch an already crowded train.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:25 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,251,035 times
There is a conductor on the A train who always adds little embellishments to the station announcements like, "125th St, home of the world famous Apollo Theater!" I rarely find myself on his train, but when I do it makes me happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City