Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 12:29 PM

536 posts, read 2,349,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bama! View Post
I like humanity on the train. I really can't stand the new automated train announcements. The computer voice really bothers me. I have a hard time falling a sleep on those trains. The lighting stinks too.
Agreed. The automated voice is gratingly vanilla. They also have it announcing stops on the Nassau County buses and it makes the ride an awful annoyance since bus stops are every 2 blocks haha.

One weird conductor was on the LIRR on the Babylon line. He would pronounce it "Babbilyn", intoned like "Maryland" instead of the regular way with the stress on the "lon" part, and it would visibly irk other passengers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 12:56 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,610,917 times
I consider myself personally fortunate that I got called for the promotion to tower operator just as these trains were beginning to come out. I can't stand them, and I'm happy that I don't have to work on them; the computerized announcements are just one more awful thing in the mix!

Old 11-18-2008, 02:46 PM

133 posts, read 419,405 times
Once on the R to Union SQ. The conductor woman was yelling at tourists to move into the train more because the door wouldn't close, it was one heavy set guy and he wasn't moving, so finally she said something like "To the huge man in black you betta move in now, (5 seconds pass), Don't make me come back there and move you myself. LOL. finally someone tapped him on the shoulder and pulled him in more. Sometimes on the A train early the conductor sings.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:58 PM

63 posts, read 274,271 times
Best one ever was when the conductor on the S yelled "Let go of the doors on my choo-choo!!!" after about 20 people kept prying them open.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:55 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,635,194 times
I love it when the conductor announce ALL the transfers on a particular station and say it at least 100 mph and not get tounge tied. For example a conductor will say something to the likes of ' 42nd Times Sq. This is a Downtown-Brooklyn bound A train. Tranfers are avaliable to the C, and E trains. Also, to the 1,2,3,N,Q,R,W, via 8th ave walkway. Also to the 7, and S to Grand Central for the 4,5, and 6 trains. Next stop, 34th-Penn Station. Stand clear of the closing doors!' Bing-Bong! If some one can spit that out in one breath and less than 5 seconds, I tip my hat to 'em.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:04 PM

493 posts, read 665,675 times
Yeah it's fun when they call out the stops and connections. I was visiting last week and can't recall what line I was on was but this one guy...thick Brooklyn accent: "uh, blah-blah st, connection with-the-blah-blah-blah-whatever-train-I'm-closing-doors." Half the time he was talking so fast he'd cut himself off before he got the "I'm closing doors" part, which I though was hilarious.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:16 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,610,917 times
I always announced all the connections. One time, I think I was on an N train at Times Square, a passenger stopped by my position and marveled at the fact that I'd been able to get all those other lines in, without having to take any extra breaths. (Doesn't matter what line you work, Times Square is always a challenge!)

Old 10-01-2009, 07:57 AM

7 posts, read 66,907 times
I was on the A train and when we pulled into 42nd street, the conductor made an announcement about a transfer that needed to happen so half of the train emptied out. Once the doors closed he said, "Ha! I was just kidding. Now you all have more leg room. 34th is next! Holy cow! Hilarious!

Old 10-01-2009, 09:27 AM

43,675 posts, read 44,416,401 times
I remember there a conductor on the R train in the morning (during rush hours) in Queens that used to give very nice announcements like he cared about the individual passengers.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:04 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,737,233 times
r.i.p. to PEOPLE actually doing the announcements. smh @ the "robotization" of ny.
everything will be a shell of its former self, soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
I love it when the conductor announce ALL the transfers on a particular station and say it at least 100 mph and not get tounge tied. For example a conductor will say something to the likes of ' 42nd Times Sq. This is a Downtown-Brooklyn bound A train. Tranfers are avaliable to the C, and E trains. Also, to the 1,2,3,N,Q,R,W, via 8th ave walkway. Also to the 7, and S to Grand Central for the 4,5, and 6 trains. Next stop, 34th-Penn Station. Stand clear of the closing doors!' Bing-Bong! If some one can spit that out in one breath and less than 5 seconds, I tip my hat to 'em.
this.

damn that will be missed. also the OG ding dong sound instead of this new one as well as the sound the train makes when it pulls off (r-46 trains, i mean).

oh well.

also, LOL @ the conductor that was "just kidding!!" haha. lol i woulda got off the train and took the other one, tho. smh but lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City