Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 11:55 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
My mom grew up in Ravenswood Houses in Astoria (35th ave and 21st). How are they?

what about other Queens houses?:

-Queensbridge
-Woodside
-Fresh Meadows
-Rochdale Village
-Lefrak City
-Astoria
-The ones out by Rockaway: (Hammels, Averne, etc...)

i've been to queensbridge before...it looks more intimidating than it really is. i know the buildings on the vernon blvd side have a serious rat problem tho, maybe cause of the proximity to the river. dont know if NYCHA rectified that situation.

Never been to woodside, but i've heard its one of the better NYCHA in queens.

Never been to Astoria Houses, so i cant say....never heard anything about it either....

Fresh Meadows, Lefrak and Rochdale are not NYCHA.

Forget about any NYCHA in rockaway they're the worst NYCHA in queens....all of them! some buildings are worse than others, and some are ok, but sorry to say they suck overall....and i'm from rockaway, i spent more than enough time hanging out in hammels. not to mention the fear of getting shot while going to the store....

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 02:07 PM

149 posts, read 615,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
williamsburg also has a large jewish population in the projects.

Yeah, Taylor Wythe was the name of one of them. If I recall correctly, only one elevator runs on Sunday, and during the summer, you couldn't play ball in the courts past sundown. This was over 10 years ago.

I'm not sure what neighborhood you would call the area where Williamsburg Houses are, since it's not really in the same area over by Marcy Avenue where the Hasidim reside and live in the projects. I grew up in the Bushwick Houses, which I always thought was pretty tame. Borinquen Plaza was pretty mild, too. In my opinion, the quietest of them all was Cooper Houses, mainly because it was tucked off in the middle of nowhere. I worked there for a summer as part of the Housing Youth Training Program, and it was easily the quietest housing project I had ever seen. Again, this was over 10 years ago. For all I know, it could be a war zone now.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:39 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,985,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Never been to woodside, but i've heard its one of the better NYCHA in queens.

Never been to Astoria Houses, so i cant say....never heard anything about it either....
Woodside isn't so bad. It's next to Bryant High School, so you have to deal with high school kids, but it's really not that scary or dangerous. Astoria Houses have the occasional fights, but they're not particularly all that dangerous either.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelMan View Post
Yeah, Taylor Wythe was the name of one of them. If I recall correctly, only one elevator runs on Sunday, and during the summer, you couldn't play ball in the courts past sundown. This was over 10 years ago.

I'm not sure what neighborhood you would call the area where Williamsburg Houses are, since it's not really in the same area over by Marcy Avenue where the Hasidim reside and live in the projects. I grew up in the Bushwick Houses, which I always thought was pretty tame. Borinquen Plaza was pretty mild, too. In my opinion, the quietest of them all was Cooper Houses, mainly because it was tucked off in the middle of nowhere. I worked there for a summer as part of the Housing Youth Training Program, and it was easily the quietest housing project I had ever seen. Again, this was over 10 years ago. For all I know, it could be a war zone now.
well williamsburg houses is still in williamsburg. i've never been to cooper park. but i've never heard of anything happening over there, or it being particulary dangerous. i think aonther 1 of the jewish projects is called jonathan williams plaza, the one near broadway and havemeyer....i think those are also the same ones that are on division avenue.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:57 AM

197 posts, read 895,294 times
As far as wort as being run down and dirty. I say Tompkins is the dirtiest NYCHA development I have seen in Brooklyn or Queens, there might be dirtier ones in the Bronx or Manhattan. Trash all over the hallways plus too strong a stench of urine. Bushwick PJs and Breukelen are definitely cleaner IMO. Now as far as crime goes I can't call it there are so many rough PJs. But Tompkins definitely needs to be cleaned up. Alot of Senior Citizen only developments are safe and clean. The Conlon LIFHE Towers in Queens look like a nice apartment building.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKTony View Post
As far as wort as being run down and dirty. I say Tompkins is the dirtiest NYCHA development I have seen in Brooklyn or Queens, there might be dirtier ones in the Bronx or Manhattan. Trash all over the hallways plus too strong a stench of urine. Bushwick PJs and Breukelen are definitely cleaner IMO. Now as far as crime goes I can't call it there are so many rough PJs. But Tompkins definitely needs to be cleaned up. Alot of Senior Citizen only developments are safe and clean. The Conlon LIFHE Towers in Queens look like a nice apartment building.

dirtiest in brooklyn? lol too many to name....surfside plaza in coney island was definitely one of the filthiest projects in brooklyn i've ever been too, inside and out. howard houses in brownsville, the outside was filthy, but the building itself was clean.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:44 AM

149 posts, read 615,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKTony View Post
I grew up in Bushwick. If that can be considered clean, I'd hate to see what dirty is. Tompkins I can agree with, that place was filthy. In fact, all the projects in that area (Sumner, Tompkins, Roosevelt Houses) are filthy.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:39 AM

197 posts, read 895,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelMan View Post
I grew up in Bushwick. If that can be considered clean, I'd hate to see what dirty is. Tompkins I can agree with, that place was filthy. In fact, all the projects in that area (Sumner, Tompkins, Roosevelt Houses) are filthy.
I don't mean that Bushwick is clean by any means. I meant cleaner then Tompkins. I guess a better description would be Bushwick PJs are not as filthy as Tompkins. It has stairwells that smell like port o pottys you know that ammonia smell.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:19 AM

1 posts, read 25,077 times
what are the worst projects in brooklyn ny

Old 07-07-2009, 11:19 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,929,858 times
I cant say for other places. I have an apartment in Rutgers (Lower East Side) and wouldn't give it up for the world! Although the area is not like it used to be. Its the younger generation making it the pits. But like all PJs some buildings in the complex are better than others. So it makes u single out the whole complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery