Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 05:03 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times

Advertisements

My bike tire just went flat. I don't feel comfortable about taking it to the shop in my car as i have a 16 year old subcompact Toyota, I like to rest it on weekends and it's hard to get a spot on weekends coming back. The bus will only allow folding bikes so i have to take it on the subway. MTA says bikes are allowed on the trains

I live on B'way and 252 street, the shop is on Dyckman St off Broadway in Inwood.

Will i be able to get the bike up that series of steps at the 242 street station? i went up there today to buy a metrocard and it seemed do-able but it may be awkward. I always lift the bike with one hand maneuvering it in and out of the elevator but i wonder if it will be this easy. Any ideas? Should i one hand it up the steps or lift it by the rear (the flat is on the back) and roll it up on the good front tire?

Would i use the gate or turnstile?

the other thing is that I have developed a problem with vertigo and panic attack if leaving the train on an elevated platform that is too far away from the overhang and the train pulls out. if the train is sitting there I'm Ok but when it pulls out i can see the ground and i have that vertigo problem.

how can i know what car to get on at 242 street so that when i get to Dyckman Street i will be at the overhang?

i would not normally put myself through this but i love the bike ride, i'm getting muscle where fat was so i want to fix this really quick

thanks in advance

rl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 05:31 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,836,462 times
Just take the bike through the security gate (as long as there's a person on duty) -- I don't think you'd be able to get it through the turnstile. And when I've had to tote a bike, I always just put the bar over my shoulder and carried it. This doesn't apply, obviously, if you have a "woman's" bike.

I assume you're talking about the #1 train? The overhang on the downtown side is, I believe, near the rear of the train. (I know on the uptown side, the stairs are right off the second car, so I'd guess the opposite would be true for the downtown side.)

Best of luck!

Old 07-05-2008, 05:09 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Assuming anyone might be interested in the rules and regulations: it's legal to take a bike on the subway any time except rush hours. And if you do bring a bike onto the trains, you're supposed to go to the last car. (You're hearing this from an MTA employee, but in case you think I'm making it up, check with the agency!)

Old 07-05-2008, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
And if you do bring a bike onto the trains, you're supposed to go to the last car.
Again -- really? Fortunately, I haven't seen too many bikes during rush hour, but I have seen them throughout the train. Also shopping carts, extra-large unfolded strollers, idiots banging on drums and/or using the poles to help them "dance," etc., etc., etc.

I imagine that most people aren't aware of the rules and until/unless MTA puts personnel on all the trains (which isn't financially feasible) I think that they'll continue to be broken left and right.

Thanks for the info!

Old 07-05-2008, 06:44 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
It's true; the last car, because that makes for the least interference on the train. As regards the large objects you've mentioned, this is the official standard: if it is big enough to cause other passengers any inconvenience or interference, then it's not allowed.

Starting this month, MTA will be implementing a whole new set of 'quality of life' rules for subways and buses. They won't mean much if they're not enforced, but I think there's going to be an effort to see that they are. This will lead to some pretty loud complaints from people who have been violating MTA policy all along...but it'll make things a lot better for everyone else.

Incidentally, from a legal perspective, it isn't necessary to put people on the trains in the effort to enforce rules. As long as they're posted somewhere, that's actually the only requirement. As the old expression goes, ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Old 07-05-2008, 06:58 PM

Default Worked out very well...

I hoisted the bike with one hand up/down the stairs and i believe i rode in the last car. As the first poster squeezeboxgal said, the overhang info at Dyckman St was good. it's good that station doesn't give you a view of the street below so I had no problems with vertigo

And speaking of Inwood, I had a great breakfast at this cozy unpretentious little diner on the corner of Dyckman and B'way while waiting for the tire to be fixed. So good that i want to go there for dinner.

When i rode the bike home I took Seaman Ave instead of Broadway and at the corner of Beak Street was a private house, Seaman all the way up was very well maintained and there was a park that overlooked the river. When i made the right on 218th i saw several more private houses. This was the first time I saw Inwood W of B'way and i was impressed

I had a panic attack wheeling the bike over the B'way bridge but I survived. These see thru gratings that look all the way down to the water. Good God!!

Old 07-05-2008, 07:02 PM

Default I forgot to mention

I came across a farmer's market on Isham Street near Seaman.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:01 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,371,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
It's true; the last car, because that makes for the least interference on the train. As regards the large objects you've mentioned, this is the official standard: if it is big enough to cause other passengers any inconvenience or interference, then it's not allowed.

Starting this month, MTA will be implementing a whole new set of 'quality of life' rules for subways and buses. They won't mean much if they're not enforced, but I think there's going to be an effort to see that they are. This will lead to some pretty loud complaints from people who have been violating MTA policy all along...but it'll make things a lot better for everyone else.

Incidentally, from a legal perspective, it isn't necessary to put people on the trains in the effort to enforce rules. As long as they're posted somewhere, that's actually the only requirement. As the old expression goes, ignorance of the law is no excuse.
I think you're confusing issues here. How can you enforce the law without some type of law enforcement officer writing citations? The laws just don't enforce themselves. Posters put up by the MTA don't stop people from breaking the law, cops do. The posters give notice to people, which is a good thing, but they don't stop people from breaking the rules.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
I came across a farmer's market on Isham Street near Seaman.
I believe that's there every weekend during the summer.

It's pretty nice up around there, eh? I'm glad your trip went well!

Old 07-05-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
I think you're confusing issues here. How can you enforce the law without some type of law enforcement officer writing citations? The laws just don't enforce themselves. Posters put up by the MTA don't stop people from breaking the law, cops do. The posters give notice to people, which is a good thing, but they don't stop people from breaking the rules.
I *think* that maybe Fred meant to say that the RULES didn't have to be posted on the trains ... ???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City