Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 10:29 AM

4 posts, read 22,460 times

Advertisements

i am thinking of moving to Flatbush gardens and commuting to midtown Manhattan. Main reason for moving there is the low rent. I expect to be working late on most nights returning at around 10:30-11pm on the 2 line. How unsafe it it exactly at these hours? Anyone have experience with this sort of commute?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 11:11 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,293,896 times
its not the safest area late at night. are you comfortable with walking in the hood at late hours at night? if you're not then you wont feel comfortable coming home that late simple as that.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-21-2008, 01:02 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
It's true; you'll probably be safer on the train than walking through the streets. Flatbush Gardens is on New York Avenue, isn't it? From the Flatbush Avenue station, you could get the B6 bus, which will take you on Glenwood Road to the corner of New York. Then you won't have as much of a walk.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:36 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
How cheap is it? If you're commuting to midtown you should probably check out some neighborhoods in Queens such as Sunnyside, Woodside, Astoria, Jackson Heights, Rego Park, Kew Gardens.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
It's true; you'll probably be safer on the train than walking through the streets. Flatbush Gardens is on New York Avenue, isn't it? From the Flatbush Avenue station, you could get the B6 bus, which will take you on Glenwood Road to the corner of New York. Then you won't have as much of a walk.

Yes, its at 1403 New York Ave. From the Kirkland station its around 3-4 blocks walking.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
How cheap is it? If you're commuting to midtown you should probably check out some neighborhoods in Queens such as Sunnyside, Woodside, Astoria, Jackson Heights, Rego Park, Kew Gardens.
It's cheap around 1k.

I am going to look at a place in Jackson heights but the price, around 1.4K for a 1 bed is not nearly as low as the one in Brooklyn. But then, perhaps its not worth the risk either...

I am going to see if there is anything cheaper in Astoria. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:28 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skknyuc View Post
Yes, its at 1403 New York Ave. From the Kirkland station its around 3-4 blocks walking.
I take it you mean the Newkirk Avenue station. For three or four blocks, I personally wouldn't wait for a bus. I'd walk from the station. And having to walk it at 11PM isn't the worst thing in the world.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:43 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
You might also try Elmhurst Queens. It borders Jackson Heights. It's heavily Asian (Chinese, I believe), some hispanic, some white. It should be a bit cheaper than Jackson Heights, partly because it's not as nice. But it's still a fine place to live and it may also be cheap because it's under the radar and not considered a hip place to be. If you can find a place near the R/G/V train the commute into Manhattan is very fast.

I have a friend who lives right near one of the R/G/V train stops. She is only 30 minutes door to door to her job in midtown and she thinks the neighborhood is totally fine.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:17 PM

877 posts, read 2,768,425 times
I don't know much about Flatbush Gardens but the walk at that time of night should be fairly safe (by Brooklyn standards). I pass by the complex a lot at night and have never seen anything out of the ordinary. It looks like it is on Foster and New York Avenue and that is not too far from the Junction so it probably is fairly crowded on Nostrand. You should visit sometime in the evening to find out if you feel comfortable in the area.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post

hi Henna

I saw a place yesterday in Elmhurst but its on Denman (two blocks below Roosevelt and supposedly a less desirable area). The area seemed a little shady but could just be my perception. i saw kids playing outside and most people looked like recent immigrants. The apartment itself was completely renovated and quite pleasant (despite the building being a little shabby). Do you, or anyone else, know this street by any chance?

Thanks again, your tips as well as everybody elses on this board have been very helpful.

Tims
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City