Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 12:27 AM

7 posts, read 51,708 times

Advertisements

Hi ...

I am new to NY.I have to move from CA to NY.I just wanted to know if I have a car and have no parking at the place I have an plan to live.Can anyone tell me a idea or plan for my car.

How expensive could it be?
Can I find parking land at all?

If you have any idea or suggestion I shall greatly appreciate that.

Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2007, 07:23 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times
Owning a car in NYC is hell. When I moved from Pittsburgh to Park Slope in Brooklyn, I couldn't understand why I got a parking ticket every day. Then I read the fine print on the signs more carefully. NYC has alternate-side-of-the-street-parking. If, and that's a big if, you are able to find a parking spot, usually blocks from where you live, you have to move your car to the other side of the street the next day. Usually around 10 AM when you're at work. NYC claims it's for the street cleaners, but parking tickets are really a very lucrative source of income for NYC.

There are parking garages you might be able to lease or rent a spot. $$$$!

And once you start driving around in Brooklyn you're probably going to do what I did and get rid of your car. It's not worth it, and the public transportation is great, the traffic jams are constant and unbearable. Good luck.

Old 01-25-2007, 12:10 PM

Thanks for your reply..
I really appreciate that...

Old 01-25-2007, 01:44 PM

517 posts, read 2,485,433 times
Parking really depends on what part of Brooklyn you move to. Some areas are better than others. Most neighborhoods have alternate side of the street parking two days a week. My block, unfortunately, has it on four days a week.

More than that, car insurance prices for Brooklyn are extremely high so if its possible to keep your car registered to another address I would do so. At least until you decide if you're going to stay in Brooklyn.

Do you know what area of Brooklyn you are considering?

Old 01-25-2007, 02:28 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times
Parking can be an enormous hassle, but I kept one anyway (in Brooklyn, Park Slope--alternative side of the street 2x per week).

I calculated it cost about $3,500 for insurance, upkeep and parking tickets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBo View Post
Parking really depends on what part of Brooklyn you move to. Some areas are better than others. Most neighborhoods have alternate side of the street parking two days a week. My block, unfortunately, has it on four days a week.

More than that, car insurance prices for Brooklyn are extremely high so if its possible to keep your car registered to another address I would do so. At least until you decide if you're going to stay in Brooklyn.

Do you know what area of Brooklyn you are considering?

Old 01-25-2007, 03:19 PM

491 posts, read 829,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneptune View Post
Hi ...

I am new to NY.I have to move from CA to NY.I just wanted to know if I have a car and have no parking at the place I have an plan to live.Can anyone tell me a idea or plan for my car.

How expensive could it be?
Can I find parking land at all?

If you have any idea or suggestion I shall greatly appreciate that.

Thanks...
It depends what part of Brooklyn, in general you dont need a car in NYC its nothing but a hassle. You cant own anything nice unless you ar every lucky to find a garage and if so it will cost you $500-$900 a month.
You could drive around the neighborhood 45 minutes to find a parking space 4 blocks away....Better have glass insurence if your going to have a radio in the car.
I had a 82 Chevey with 286,000 miles I used when I HAD to drive to the city. Nobody parked or went near it.
Sadly the hinges rusted and one of the door's fell of on Stienway street and the cops impounded it I'm still pissed !
I had to take the 7 train to get back toward long island I thaught I was in a 3rd workd hell ! Aisens, Koreans, Mexicans, Muzlims, bums, punks not one person in a car was speaking English
It was nothing like when my parents would take us to the 1965 New York Worlds Fair as a kid. I remember those the blue trains NYWF with the the big bay windas (Bluebirds then painted red and called Redbirds in the 70's)

NYC Is very different then California where everthings based and built around the automobile. When you move here move to an area NOT serviced by the 7 train (Flushing line) You dont need a car in NYC Unless you out in Breezy Point you can get anything you need walking a couple blocks. This is why women from California have fat butts, to much time sitting in the car stuck on the 405 4+ hours a day.
If your going to work in Manhatten also check the new Williamsburg and Queens areas like Astoria, Woodside Aubendale,

-Joe

Last edited by Joe L; 01-25-2007 at 03:27 PM..

Old 01-25-2007, 05:13 PM

First I would like to Thank you all guys...for ur very nice replies...

KarenBo-I am planning to move to Parkslope....near Prospectpark...Do you have any idea...about this place...Is it safe..

ontheroad-Thanks for the reply,It really surprises me...The insurance cost is too high and As you said parking hassle...

JoeL-Thanks for the reply...It is really very expensive to have acar..
But always surprises me ...how do you guy do the groceries and travelling in the NY...atleast in weekends...

If you can reply..
Please..

Old 01-25-2007, 07:54 PM

491 posts, read 829,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneptune View Post
JoeL-Thanks for the reply...It is really very expensive to have acar..
But always surprises me ...how do you guy do the groceries and travelling in the NY...atleast in weekends...
If you can reply..
Please..
...Fold up 2 wheel push cart $20, back pack
You dont need to stock 2 fridgerators and freezer like in California or upstate.
You stock, coffie, milk, muffins, tea, cerial, pasta, tomato puree, spices some soup cans. If you in the mood for something special you take a 1-5 minute walk on foot.
NYC has the best tap water in the world BTW !

New York is a heathy lifestyle we dont sit on our butts...no time for it as you will soon find out
If your a single person and need more then that your spoiled or doing something wrong.

Car needed to go grocery shopping in NYC I never heard of such a thing

Old 01-25-2007, 08:04 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,089,265 times
Okay, I don't live in nyc but I have friends who live in brooklyn, and none of them have a car. I've visited them there and we simply rode the subway and bus everywhere.

My experiences though living in another city without a car and visiting new york and knowing sort of how it works leads me to give you this advice. This is what I do here and you can do the same in nyc.

1. Ditch the car. seriously get rid of it.
2. Take the money you would spend on car insurance and take a few extra taxis here and there (if you live in brooklyn they call them 'car services and you have to call 'em up, you'll get a collection of their numbers in your wallet)
3. Get your groceries delivered (at least the heavy stuff) (this is where i'm fuzzy, I imagine booklyn has some sort of online grocery delivery service)
4. Rent a car when you want to get out of town on the weekend, spending $100 a weekend to rent a car once a month or less costs less than renting a parking spot for the car.

...oh, and park slope is nice.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:09 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times
You made me laugh and I gave you another rep point

All of what you say makes perfect sense and what I did for the year I didn't have a car--except you are off on the price of the rentals. If you live in PS there's on good car rental service on Union and I believe it cost me about $250 or so to rent for a long weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Okay, I don't live in nyc but I have friends who live in brooklyn, and none of them have a car. I've visited them there and we simply rode the subway and bus everywhere.

My experiences though living in another city without a car and visiting new york and knowing sort of how it works leads me to give you this advice. This is what I do here and you can do the same in nyc.

1. Ditch the car. seriously get rid of it.
2. Take the money you would spend on car insurance and take a few extra taxis here and there.
3. Get your groceries delivered (at least the heavy stuff).
4. Rent a car when you want to get out of town on the weekend, spending $100 a weekend to rent a car once a month or less costs less than renting a parking spot for the car.

...oh, and park slope is nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: