Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 03:26 PM

10 posts, read 40,788 times

Advertisements

I have always wondered what's the stigma for a guy to go to a bar alone, I just moved to the city and I've met a few friends but they don't do the bar scene and I really would like to meet more people and talk to girls, back home it wasn't a problem because I had my friends but here I'm solo, am I doomed until I find my wingman or is it not as 'creepy' to go out by yourself as it is in other cities?

I'd like to hear feedback on this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 03:55 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,866,480 times
Do this. Go to a bar alone and try to reserve a bar stool next to your for awhile. Order a drink and check your watch and cell phone as if you're waiting for someone. Finally place a "fake" outbound call to your friend who for whatever reason, is canceling on you. Give your extra stool up and hang out at the bar. Then go go the same bar again and again until you become a regular. Once you're a regular, you can go alone because you'll know other regulars. Here in Chicago, people go to bars alone all of the time; even women. Don't not go out because you have no one to go out with. Life is too short to sit home alone on your computer! :-)

Old 08-23-2008, 05:26 PM

541 posts, read 1,902,676 times
I don't think anyone would find it odd. Go to a few happy hours and strike up a conversation with the bartender.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:25 PM

205 posts, read 507,785 times
i did it. i thought it sucked. lol. Maybe in manhattan its better but in the bronx u stick out. get weird looks sometimes.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:38 PM

824 posts, read 2,791,528 times
I'm a single guy who lives around the corner from a strip of very popular bars (3rd Ave. in the 30's). It's nothing to go it alone for lunch and a beer, or on a Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday-Sunday night. But Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night, I don't think I'd feel very comfortable flying solo in these joints. But that's me. Perhaps it is largely up to the individual. Maybe instead of the bars you could go the internet dating route. I know quite a few guys who have plenty of friends to go to bars with but met their girlfriends with match.com or whatever.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:24 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,334,779 times
a lot of people in NYC like to go out with their entourage

Especially the Yupps and Hipsta's

Anyways some people look better when the go to places alone

Like loners, it suits their style better

Some women go crazy for this

So yes you should do it, if you want to

And plus you are an adult

So you should not really care

You are your own man now

Ok Son

Old 08-23-2008, 09:30 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,572,777 times
Absolutely nothing wrong with having a drink or two at a bar in NYC. Just be sure not to drink and drive. But hey, one of the perks of living in NYC is that you generally don't need a car. It's also a city catered for the individual or groups alike. You can pretty much hang by yourself if you so choose - dinner alone, movie alone, walk in the park alone, museum alone, and bar alone.

Sometimes one needs to go it alone just to have a change of pace from all the friends and associates - genuine and phony alike. One needs a breather, to collect one's thoughts and evaluate which direction one is heading in.

Going to a bar alone has its advantages if you just want to have a quiet drink and not get drunk, there's no pressure from friends. If you are a guy and want to meet someone, that beautiful lady might open up to you on a one on one basis if you're alone. If you're a lady alone, the fella over there won't be trying to decide between you and your girlfriend and you won't have to convince her on the way home that you're more suitable for him.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:44 PM

93 posts, read 309,350 times
I don't go out alone very often in NYC but I travel a lot for work and find that going out alone is a lot less weird if the place has a pool table as you tend to get to know the people who are playing or hanging out around the table. I've definitely met a lot of girls doing that and if you play pool at all in the city you definitely notice that it is a magnet for people who are out alone but feel like drinking and being social.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:17 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
It just depends on the kind of bar. There are plenty of bars that are "quieter," and are just meant for people to come in and have some drinks, maybe get some food, and watch a game. You won't be looked at as creepy in a bar like that.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:54 PM

35 posts, read 135,223 times
I'm married, but have gone to the bar area of restaurants (in Seattle) alone. I eat, I stay for a couple of drinks, I love it.
I sit on a stool right at the bar so I can watch all of the action and eavesdrop on lots of conversations. I find it very entertaining. I don't feel creepy, but who knows if others are looking at me and judging me as a little weird.
Meh, who cares?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City