Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 07:41 PM

5 posts, read 15,675 times

Advertisements

Well, I am considering making the move to the big apple but there are a few concerns that I am mulling over before I give the green light for this. I was offered a job on wall st. making twice as much as I make in Miami (which is 6 figures, already) and my wife's family lives up there. I am concerned about my daughter though. The thought of raising her there is really what is bothering me, not that Miami is any better. I never lived in NYC and the references that I DO have are not too credible. If someone could offer some closure to my situation I would sincerely appreciate it.

Jon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 07:48 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,367,797 times
Whats do you fear about living up here, and what part of Miami are you living in?

Generally I would say that the quality of life in Miami is lower than here in NYC. Yes there are some rough spots in the city, however on the whole NYC is a nice place to live. Miami, at least in my opinion, has a lot more problems with crime, and the schools aren't as good as up here.

Plus with your salary if you don't like the quality of the local public school you could just send her to a local private school, which are invariably some of the best in the country.

I see no drawbacks in doing this move except for the winter weather and snow, but this is somewhat offset by the fact that you won't have to deal with hurricaines.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:58 PM

I live in North Miami. It is a nice area with a few nice schools. I HAVE heard about the good school system of NYC and I do agree with you. What areas should I keep from venturing into with my family? Oh and good call with the hurricanes.

Jon

Old 10-26-2007, 11:22 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,367,797 times
Yeah I know North Miami a little bit. Have you ever been to Captain Jim's Seafood on Dixie Highway? That place is really good and somewhat reasonably priced. It doesn't look like anything special on the outside, but when you get your food its amazing.

The nice areas of NYC are generally considered to be Southern Manhattan (clearly the best in the entire area, below 96th st on the east side and 110th st on the west side), Most of Queens (anywhere from Astoria, Forrest Hills, to Bayside), Southern Brookly and a few neighborhoods of Northern Brooklyn (such as Williamsburg and Park Slope), and most of Staten Island.

The worst parts of NYC are generally considered to be Northern Manhattan, most of the Bronx (but especially the South Bronx), and Northeastern Brooklyn (from Bed-Stuy down to Canarsie).

Old 10-27-2007, 12:59 AM

Captain Jim's, I've driven past but never eaten there. I'll check it out. Thank you for your response.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:56 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
I grew up in Manhattan and attended a private school, as did my sisters and we all still live here.

Growing up in NYC is actualy fun. There are many public primary schools that are very good and that would give you time to find an appropriate school for middle and high school. There are several sites that rate the various neighborhood schools. Try searching this board - I know that someone posted them.

Old 10-27-2007, 01:22 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,334,237 times
How old is your child?

That is the most important thing

Not the money because you already make six figures

If she is already in school I really would not move her.

Trust me I have heard this a thousand times from people all over that states. The people in the NYC metro are different. But then again that's the same for every place.

Do you want your daughter to suffer culture shock?

Old 10-27-2007, 04:10 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
I wouldn't worry about your daughter adjusting. Children are very malleable and flexible and adjust well. And she might even have fun. I managed growing up in NYC with long stretches in a small town in Switzerland and I made it to adulthood in one piece.

Old 10-27-2007, 06:55 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,334,237 times
Why risk it?

NYC is now different from what it was.

What does your daughter want? Is she old enough to understand?

Old 10-27-2007, 09:51 PM

274 posts, read 320,118 times
What exactly frightens you of raising your daughter in NYC?

To me, Miami is more sketchy than NYC. Your daughter will thank you for raising her in New York when she's old enough. I'll say it again : New York is the best place in the United States to raise children if you can afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City