Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 05:33 PM

96 posts, read 407,356 times

Advertisements

My roomate is going to be away for 2 months and I'm being tasked with the duty of finding an apartment in Manhattan, Columbia area. I'm wondering if it's a pain to do this. Together we make like 60x the rent or so, but can me showing his pay stubs and bank statements be enough for a Realtor? We both have family nearby if a guarantor was really needed.

So the question boils down to can I, alone, go out and take care of this? I can sign the lease myself if necessary. Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 05:36 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,934,251 times
If you, alone, make 40x the rent, yes, you can sign. But I wouldn't do that! You would be the SOLE responsible party in the eyes of the law regarding rent and other lease obligations. And you don't want that - no matter HOW good a friend this is!

Old 09-23-2008, 05:40 PM

Thanks I appreciate it, maybe I'll have him come up just to sign the lease. Then again I've been friends with the guy for like...jeez..since I was a 3? I can see 99% of people screwing me but not him.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:41 PM

also could his guarantor sign the lease?

Old 09-23-2008, 06:22 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,934,251 times
I believe his guarantor could sign, but then he's STILL not the one they'd go after if anything happened....they'd go after you and the guarantor. He really needs to sign the lease. You also need to make crystal clear IN THE LEASE that two people will be occupying the apartment.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:28 PM

90 posts, read 423,113 times
Yeah, even though he's a good friend, I agree with Viral on this one. Having clear and written contracts between friends actually protects a friendship, in my opinion. The contract avoids any misunderstandings that could ruin a friendship. I think this is even true for small loans.

That said, I'm no lawyer, but there's probably some way to give someone the ability to sign on his behalf. It probably involves a notary etc. but I'd be surprised if everyone who's ever entered a contract was there in person to sign.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:43 PM

Thanks guys, Im going to make sure he signs.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:44 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,388,802 times
And, having him on the lease also protects him. It's not just about him doing something to do in the event of a breach, but if you are out of town and something happens in an emergency, locked out, lost keys, etc., he is protected by being a named party to the lease such that he can establish the legal right to enter and occupy the premises if something like that were to happen. Again, the probability of such an occurrence may be low, but a perfect storm can happen at the most inopportune times.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:01 PM

467 posts, read 1,684,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowloris View Post
My roomate is going to be away for 2 months and I'm being tasked with the duty of finding an apartment in Manhattan, Columbia area. I'm wondering if it's a pain to do this. Together we make like 60x the rent or so, but can me showing his pay stubs and bank statements be enough for a Realtor? We both have family nearby if a guarantor was really needed.

So the question boils down to can I, alone, go out and take care of this? I can sign the lease myself if necessary. Thanks guys.

Most likely yes, but it may depend on the landlord. I did this before. I signed a lease while my roomie was out of town. It should be ok; you'll have to ask the landlord.

Edit: My roommate signed it when she got back in town (if I remember correctly- this was a few years back). I agree with the people above that it's safe to have you BOTH on the lease.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:57 PM

45 posts, read 114,049 times
Legally you're allowed to have a roommate, no landlord can stop you and they don't neccessarily have to be on the lease. However they do prefer to know ahead of time if you'll have someone moving in right away. Otherwise they tend to be very suspicious of you afterwards and might not renew your lease. It's a different story if you're living there alone for a few months and decide to get a roommate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: