Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 06:04 PM

56 posts, read 75,395 times

Advertisements

So as you all probably know, guns in NYC aren't easy to get by any measure and it only seems to be getting harder by the day. If I myself wanted to get a concealed weapon to carry for my own personal safety, what are my chances of being rejected if I were to go through the whole legal process of carrying a concealed firearm? To be plain and simple, I want a gun for my own personal protection.. and honestly, it's my second amendment right. But hey, I guess it's not always that easy.

Anyone here been through the whole process? Would greatly appreciate any information that could help me get through this strenuous process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 06:06 PM

34,094 posts, read 47,309,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelcoreXD View Post
So as you all probably know, guns in NYC aren't easy to get by any measure and it only seems to be getting harder by the day. If I myself wanted to get a concealed weapon to carry for my own personal safety, what are my chances of being rejected if I were to go through the whole legal process of carrying a concealed firearm? To be plain and simple, I want a gun for my own personal protection.. and honestly, it's my second amendment right. But hey, I guess it's not always that easy.

Anyone here been through the whole process? Would greatly appreciate any information that could help me get through this strenuous process.
DM mathjak107

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-04-2015, 07:03 PM

274 posts, read 298,101 times
Quote:

You can thank the liberal democrats who believe good citizens should not be able to defend themselves and that only the criminals should have firearms.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:35 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,522,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xTiberiusx View Post
You can thank the liberal democrats who believe good citizens should not be able to defend themselves and that only the criminals should have firearms.
or dial 911 and pray that help will get there in time

Old 01-04-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
or dial 911 and pray that help will get there in time
LOL, read this

source:

New York, NY - 8.4 Minutes is Average NYPD Response Time

"New York, NY - Police response times have increased every year since 2007—and it now takes an average of 8.4 minutes for officers to respond to residents calling 911 to report crimes. That's 90 seconds longer than it took cops to get to a crime scene in 2007."

WHY!!??!?!?!

Old 01-04-2015, 08:32 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,970,265 times
Realistically your chances for a carry LIc. Are 0 percent. Don't waste the 500 bucks. You do have a chance at a home permit though it is a long meticulous expensive process. Good luck my friend, let us know how it goes.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikfleye3 View Post
Realistically your chances for a carry LIc. Are 0 percent. Don't waste the 500 bucks. You do have a chance at a home permit though it is a long meticulous expensive process. Good luck my friend, let us know how it goes.
Well, to be frankly honest, I'm not sure if it's even worth my time anymore. Just watched the video with John Stossel and am not particularly feeling to uplifted after watching this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24jRaxXT7JQ

Old 01-04-2015, 09:18 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,727,089 times
Quote:
LOL, read this

source:

New York, NY - 8.4 Minutes is Average NYPD Response Time

"New York, NY - Police response times have increased every year since 2007—and it now takes an average of 8.4 minutes for officers to respond to residents calling 911 to report crimes. That's 90 seconds longer than it took cops to get to a crime scene in 2007."

WHY!!??!?!?!
The answer was in the link you provided:

Quote:
But the NYPD has defended its fleet-footed team, saying response times have been bloated by slower responses to non-emergencies.
ALL response times are added up and averaged out, as opposed to breaking out response times for critical calls.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:36 PM

15,869 posts, read 14,487,406 times
In the local vernacular, fuggedaboudit.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:45 PM

243 posts, read 1,334,160 times
Quote:

I am 100% with you that it is your , mine , and all citizens constitutional right to bear arms. However , you have less than a snowballs chance in hell of getting a carry permit in NYC unless you have a job where you transport $5000 in cash or valuables daily (pawn shop owner , jeweler , etc.) - or you are some kind of "VIP" who can prove they have a far far geater chance than the "average" citizen for being targeted for violence (eg someone very rich or very famous). Even then with the latter it's iffy.

For armed security guards there are limited carry permits. They wouldn't apply in your case. Like another poster said , you could get a premise permit. You will still have to pay a lot of money , wait a long time , and jump through whatever hoops your investigator wants you to jump through when they want.

I'm born and raised and have lived my entire life here in NYC. The gun control laws here personally get under my skin more than any other one single thing about this city , but it is what it is. No politician left or right is going to change the laws because they have nothing to gain by doing so. Not even during the Giuliani years was there any effort made on the part of city officials to make firearm ownership easier.

To challenge the rules/laws you have to have standing before the court , which basically means you must first be arrested for illegally possessing a firearm in the city , then and only then could someone attempt to challenge the laws/rules.

Recently (within last two years) there have been several cases of good people (a woman who was a doctor , a guy who was a decorated military veteran both come to mind) who brought legally owned guns registered in other states where they lived both to ground zero , and the empire state building , where they attempted to "check" the weapons in with security during their visit , knowing full well they were going to be arrested and have standing to challenge the law. I don't know if the cases were dismissed outright by the city , or exactly the final dispositions , but in the long run cases that are obviously brought about by persons seeking to BE arrested solely to have standing to challenge the law/rules via appeals and with a mind toward eventually getting the case before the US Supreme Court are being vetted by the city and not pursued in order to block having anyone looking to do so to have standing to pursue the challenges.

Makes me sick , but it is what it is. Liberals and democrat voters in this city seem convinced if they go to the gym or karate school then they are golden when it comes to their defense and that anyone who wants to carry a gun *gasp* is an extremist. That's fine and nice until someone starts swinging a box cutter at one of them , and suddenly being fit or knowing how to throw a block doesn't mean squat. I took Krav Maga classes for a year. They were great. I'd still rather have a firearm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: