Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 04:15 PM

396 posts, read 1,008,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bama! View Post
Its true, its the uninclusive colonialist attitude. I hope that next time they will try to include the people that have been there for decades.
Gentrification can be done the "right way." In a way where the natives feel a part of the change instead of threatend by the change.
More community involvement!
Agreed. Too be honest with you, I don't think they have any real interest in partying or socializing with native NYers.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCwoman View Post
Let's try to keep this thread positive, if that is at all positive. There are plenty of other threads that degenerate into fear-mongering and hostile get-you-nowhere nothingness...

PLEASE DON'T FEED THE ANGER!
Why shouldn't some of us be angry? This what lead to the destruction of the Bronx in the first place and will only perpetuate segregation. We're not supposed to be angry when people move into our neighborhoods, discriminate against us, and and take the "The only thing bad about the Bronx is the Bronxites" type attitude? Thiss the type of response people in the South Bronx are so used to and it's got to stop. Happiness because of spoiled Midwesterner kids taking over our neighborhoods, raising the rents, and treating antives with contempt? No thanks.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:26 PM

718 posts, read 2,325,522 times
I just bought a hipster radar and these pictures caused it to redline and explode.

Finally someone that hit the nail on the head.

Quote:
Its true, its the uninclusive colonialist attitude. I hope that next time they will try to include the people that have been there for decades.
Gentrification can be done the "right way." In a way where the natives feel a part of the change instead of threatend by the change.
More community involvement!

Old 11-12-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Ok, I'm sorry, Its just some photgraphic evidence that I've never seen before. It has ignited some issues that I felt necessary to discuss at the moment.
But anyway, Rock on!
Nothing to apologize about. It's just something that people who aren't working-class/poor and may not be Black or Hispanic wouldn't understand very well.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCwoman View Post
Joe, I wasn't directing that at you but at the poster before you. These photos were ones that I chose from tons from Bronx Revolution's website to use on my own photoblog. So, when I posted here, these were the ones that I had already downloaded. I chose the best photographs, period, regardless of what skin color the subjects were. There were several black guests, but the photos were not at all flattering or the best of the bunch photographically speaking (no offense to the two very talented photographers). And by my count, there are several Latinos pictured above.

And quite frankly, one of the reasons I posted this thread in the first place was the absurd racist accusations on another thread by a few posters that the only reason a white person would enter a neighborhood like the South Bronx was to teach, provide social services or to score drugs. This was my photographic evidence that just the opposite can, and is, the case.

Anyway, that's where I'm coming from. But I guess, with some, you are damned if you do and damned if you don't.
Nobody I knows or have ever met knows about or attends these parties. Don't you get it? These parties, the tour trolley, etc.- they aren't aimed at us, they are aimed at more affluent White folks. These people aren't at all representative of most Bronxites and you know it. Furthermore, how is a photo gallery like this supposed to "prove" the point that Whites are not just social workers, teachers, and drug users in the South Bronx? Where is this supposed "proof"? And anyway, who cares? Is it that important to you?

Old 11-12-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Umm...who says none of those people are Hispanic or of color? because they don't fit your stereotype of what people of color look like? Your posts are more nonsense, and if you actually came to the South Bronx, and events like these, you would in fact note the customer base is 1/2 locals, have "other.".
Sweetheart, I think I know what a Latino looks like. Very few of these people in the pictures are representative of the typical South Bronxite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
But hey...why actually LEARN what is happening when you can just continue ASSUMING...seems to be working okay for you so far huh? As I stated before, if anyone actually wants to SEE and LEARN what is happening in the South Bronx they can PM for a tour, as well as attend some of the events to actually SEE that the only way ANY of these bars, clubs, restuarants, etc are thriving is because LOCALS are ALSO supporting the businesses....locals like me, my friends, my family, and others. The locals in the South Bronx are in fact ON BOARD and are HAPPY to have the new retail, bars, restaurants, businesses, services, amenities, housing, and other investments coming to the area. There is always a small but vocal group of complainers...they complain when the area was abandoned.."racism" they shouted...and they complain when investment comes to the area...guess what they shout..."racism!" See a trend here? Come see for yourself..what is happening is a great thing in the South Bronx...it is moving forward BECAUSE of the local support and patronage.
Finding a bit of a contradictory message in your posts? I am supposed to want to hang out with arrogant, closet-racist folks such as yourself who think they have the authority to tell me what I should or shouldn't want in my neighborhood? Instead of another bar or club for affluent White transplants and hipsters, how about we get REAL services like new schools, supermarkets, more police presence (who actually care about the neighborhood they work in), more park space (not at the cost of destroying a landmark like Yankee Stadium), and things such as that?

Old 11-12-2008, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Making a mountain out of a molehill aren't we? Do you think they racially screen people at the door or something?

A lot of Black and Hispanic people just aren't into that scene or that kind of music. Just like you wouldn't expect to see a ton of White people at a Latin club downtown.
You are totally missing the point. Here is my point: y'all are going on about how we should be elated about all these trendy bars, clubs, and restaurants in our neighborhoods. Now, however, you admit that this scene is not geared towards us, but rather, middle-class White kids. See the contradiction in your statements?

The point is that rather than INclusion, which we should aim for, it's just another EXclusive bar/club scene that is geared towards people other than native Bronxites, who disproportionately are Black and Latino. Why are all the new services aimed towards White people who aren't from here? Before we work on luring people from everywhere else and claiming they are all essential to "rebuilding" the Bronx, why don't we get people on boards who DO live here and ARE from here? I don't get it. It makes it seem as if the Bronx will never move forwards without the help of affluent people and Whites, which is totally not true.

P.S.- For the record, I am White myself.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I see some light skinned mixed kids who look like they could easily be Puerto Rican or Dominican... however I must say that some people are so quick to get upset when "white" people (for some reason many people give an exception to white Puerto Ricans though ) live in a neighborhood "of color," but the truth is that these parties about which this thread was started are open to anyone. If the black and Puerto Rican/ Dominican kids "of color" don't show up, that's their problem. Maybe it's them who are less willing to mix with everyone else...
Pa' que lo sepas: I AM White. I just don't see how any of this is aimed towards people who live here. Getting people to move in from elsewhere seems to be the only solution to the South Bronx's problems, so think many people on this board (I could be totally wrong, but this is what their actiosn are stating). Why not talk about non-profits and what they are doing to rebuild the Bronx? Why not talk about working-class folks who are chipping in to upgrade this area?

Old 11-12-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
I just bought a hipster radar and these pictures caused it to redline and explode.

Finally someone that hit the nail on the head.
ESO! What Joe Bama said. The problem is not that the majority of the kids were White/light-skinned Hispanics. The issue is that the pictures of the kids in the party is not at all a proper representation of what the South Bronx residents look like. Same with Williamsburg. Tell me, how many Black or PR or Dominican hipsters do you see in the mix? It's 95% White and some light-skinned Hispanics, the quintessential Asians, and a token Black or two. Now, if we were talking about Throgg's Neck or Riverdale or Pelham Parkway, they'd have a point, BUT THIS IS THE SOUTH BRONX. Same thing with Williamsburg: a very mixed, very Puerto Rican, Hasidic, mixed neighborhood but at those little cafes, bars, and clubs, all you really see is Midwestern White kids.

You want to be inclusive? Ever heard of Fashion Moda? That's South Bronx inclusion at it's best. That was backs in the 1980s when the South BRonx was truly no-man's land and you had more inclusion than you do now. C'mon, White kids, Black kids, Puerto Rican kids hanging out and making art together? See what is different about now versus then? I thought we were supposed to be progressing as time went on.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:21 PM

348 posts, read 1,248,653 times
Same place. Same Party. Same two nights. NUFF SAID!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City