Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 03:59 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,059,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mir_ny View Post
Thanks again for the info BMW!!!

update...I called the repair service. He said it was $45 to check it out. That sounded okay but then I called sears to see what they said. They charge $75 flat rate for labor. But you have to pay 30 upfront to have it checked (non refundable of course). And then the cost for parts.

Is the price for parts expensive?? I know it depends on what the problem is but generally speaking.
If it is the picture tube,that is going to be expensive. Since it is 5 yrs old it may be hard to find the parts for your TV. I know for a fact the days of TV's lasting 10-15 years are long gone.

Personally when it comes to TV'S I buy a well known brand such as Panasonic,Sony,JVC.

Anyway,you can go here to check on prices of parts for your TV.

Philips TV parts at PartStore.com

Keep in mind that they buy the parts a lot cheaper then you and I would be able to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 09:47 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Yes, that's good information on the parts vantastic10. If it's simple, it might end up costing less than $100 with labor, but if it's complex, it's probably not worth fixing it when you can get a new set with a warranty for a little bit more. It's a toss-up, and I know what you're saying about not wanting to be wasteful in throwing it out when it might be a small repair. Hmm...$30 is not outrageous to see if they can fix it, and then you'd know if you need a new set.

For new sets at Sears, I do believe I saw a set not long ago for around $179 for a 20 inch tube television, and I want to say a 27 inch was a little over $200. That's when I was shopping for a Disney TV as a gift for a young family member, not the last one I bought for myself. LOL...I must sound like I do nothing but buy televisions.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:52 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,994,339 times
Default same thing happened to me

My TV died last year. My money destroying wife was going to get one of those flat screens but I thought that for $2000 I would rather read a book.

Later that day I went out to get a loaf a bread and some milk at Pathmark. Couldn't believe it they had a TV there for sale for $119 with a DVD player. What a deal. You should go to Pathmark in Morris Park and see if they have some TV's fro $119. It is a great deal. Fixing your old TV is going to cost $119 easy or more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir_ny View Post
My TV died. I came home after work and tried to turn it on. Nothing. Weird cause it turned on that morning. Anyways I was thinking of taking it to sears to get it repaired. But before I do that...

Does anyone know of a reputable TV repair service in the BX?? I would like it fixed by someone trustworthy and at a decent price. I think sears is going to cost an arm and a leg.

Don't want to buy another TV since this one is only five years old.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:55 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,570,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
LOL...I must sound like I do nothing but buy televisions.
Well there's nothing wrong if one has several rooms to furnish with all the wonderful accoutrements to make one comfortable. I supposed that either you are a man of fine living or an idle, out of work TV salesman now hanging and posting while soliciting business from those who would repair instead of purchase.

I daresay, however, that I concluded it's the former - you are a man who has attained or has been accustomed to the finer elements in life and who graciously shares his knowledge and experience with others.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
I supposed that either you are a man of fine living or an idle, out of work TV salesman now hanging and posting while soliciting business from those who would repair instead of purchase.
LOL...you've found me out! I cannot understand why my pushcart idea for repairing/selling televisions has not caught on, since I have never seen another television pushcart in the city. I mean if you paint your name on the side of it and offer to give a receipt that's ecologically sound (written on the back of old dry cleaning receipts), what more can people want??? And just because said receipt disclaims damage due to theft, fire (from the coals in the pushcart oven), act of bus, falling from pushcart, and pothole damage, people think it's too restrictive. It's probably more dangerous to have a telvision in one's living room, after all, since a bus could crash through the wall and smash it. Goodness, now I'll have to come up with another money making idea.

Thanks for the laugh, Miles!

Old 11-13-2008, 07:11 AM

335 posts, read 1,112,952 times
Thanks you guys for your help!!! I really appreciate it. You guys are funny too! what a way to start the day off.

So who is the better brand for TVs??

Old 11-13-2008, 09:55 AM

Some good brands for televisions include: Sony, Panasonic, Sharp, Samsung, Toshiba, LG, and even Sanyo get some good ratings. With many, however, it depends upon the individual model, since some are better in smaller sets and others are good in larger sets. Arguably the least problematic brands in terms of performance, with my experience has been Sony and Panasonic. Sharps are great televisions, too, but if you are not hooked up to external speakers, the internal speakers are weak. Toshibas are good, but sometimes the color replication is a bit off in particular models, and the speakers can be a little weak on some as well. Samsung and LG are good overall televisions as well, though I have not owned an LG (just by their specs and reliability). Sanyo gets good marks for reliability, though it may be limited on features when compared to higher-end sets. I would also say that Sylvania can be good, depending upon features and model, but the sets sold under that name are generally reliable (evidenced by a sibling who has one in a playroom with three children for a couple of years with zero problems).

Old 11-13-2008, 10:17 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,570,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
LOL...you've found me out! I cannot understand why my pushcart idea for repairing/selling televisions has not caught on, since I have never seen another television pushcart in the city. I mean if you paint your name on the side of it and offer to give a receipt that's ecologically sound (written on the back of old dry cleaning receipts), what more can people want??? And just because said receipt disclaims damage due to theft, fire (from the coals in the pushcart oven), act of bus, falling from pushcart, and pothole damage, people think it's too restrictive. It's probably more dangerous to have a telvision in one's living room, after all, since a bus could crash through the wall and smash it. Goodness, now I'll have to come up with another money making idea.

Thanks for the laugh, Miles!
Hey BMW, I'd like to buy a few shares in that TV pushcart business. Once you register with the relevant authorities (and I'm sure yours, unlike the securities touted by WC Fields, would meet SEC requirements) I'd like to become a shareholder.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:21 AM

335 posts, read 1,112,952 times
Thanks again!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City