Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2008, 02:53 PM

3 posts, read 9,478 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm looking to learn a Pacific language and I'm finding it diffcult to find programs, classes (both physical and on-line), tutors, etc. in the NYC area. I'm interested in learning any Pacific langauge, like Samoan, Tongan, Maori, etc.
If you have any suggestions for where in NYC, New York, (online or not), please let me know. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 08:14 AM

26 posts, read 85,530 times
Pacific? What about Chinese, Japanese, Korean.... and West coast American English?

Old 11-11-2008, 10:25 AM

824 posts, read 2,792,865 times
I think you're going to have a tough time in your search as it is just not profitable for a language school or university to offer courses in languages where there aren't a whole lot of speakers.

I liked this language school, they may be able to steer you in the right direction, they are very friendly: ABC Language Exchange

You could try inquring at the Embassy or Consulate or U.N. Mission (which are right here in NYC) of the particular country where the language is spoken. They all usually have a website, and I imagine they'd be delighted to hear from someone interested in their culture and language.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:37 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,578,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan144 View Post
Hi,

I'm looking to learn a Pacific language and I'm finding it diffcult to find programs, classes (both physical and on-line), tutors, etc. in the NYC area. I'm interested in learning any Pacific langauge, like Samoan, Tongan, Maori, etc.
If you have any suggestions for where in NYC, New York, (online or not), please let me know. Thanks!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctc7 View Post
You could try inquring at the Embassy or Consulate or U.N. Mission (which are right here in NYC) of the particular country where the language is spoken.
Pardon my ignorance...but what would be the consulate to contact if I want to learn these languages....the consulate of Tonga for Tongan and the embassy of Maor for Maori ?

Old 11-11-2008, 02:11 PM

824 posts, read 2,792,865 times
If the consulate is not in NYC, maybe the UN Mission is a better bet, but one could still call or e-mail the other.

Permanent Mission of the Kingdom of Tonga to the United Nations - Home
(consulate is in San Francisco)

nzembassy.com - New Zealand Mission to the United Nations
(Embassy is in Washington, D.C.)

I'm thinking one of the purposes of these Embassies, Consulates, and Missions is to promote their countries, and that they would welcome inquiries into their language and culture. Whether they would actually know where to study the language other than actually going to the country itself, I don't know. Seems worth a shot.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:34 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,147,751 times
I would call the people who are already teaching these languages in the states. Academics always have colleagues in various places.

Home--Department of Indo-Pacific Languages and Literature, University of Hawai'i at Manoa

Languages
The Department provides instruction in the languages of the Indo-Pacific area to a broad spectrum of students at the University. The coverage of these languages is unique in the United States: this is the only department in the country to offer a BA degree in Philippine Language and Literature (Filipino or Ilokano) and the only one to offer every national language of Southeast Asia, as well as classical and modern Indian languages.

IPLL offers the following language courses on a regular basis: Arabic, Cambodian (Khmer), Chamorro, Filipino, Hindi, Ilokano, Indonesian, Maori, Samoan, Sanskrit, Tahitian, Thai, Tongan, and Vietnamese. Additional languages and topics may be offered on an as-needed basis.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:17 PM

14 posts, read 69,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
the embassy of Maor for Maori ?
lol

Old 11-14-2008, 02:28 PM

6 posts, read 29,024 times
I used to work for this company, which sells self-teaching language courses. They have Samoan and Maori. Some of the programs for bigger languages are comprehensive but lot of the smaller courses were not particularly easy. Anyway, check them out at Audio-Forum - The Audio and Language Source

Old 11-26-2008, 07:49 AM

3 posts, read 9,478 times
Thanks to all your replies. I'm specifically targeting languages other than CJK-Chinese, Japanese, or Korean, because if I wanted to learn those, I wouldn't have any problems finding a course here in NYC. I'm looking at "other" Pacific languages like Maori or Samoan because I plan to take up Pacific Island studies. That said, I've found most classes are offered in the West coast, with University of Hawaii being the best place to study these languages. But I will take a look at the various links you've all posted. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City