Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2010, 10:28 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,978,934 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
Anybody know anything about the St. Marks Av and Classon Av section of "Prospect Heights" (I put that in quotes because it's hard to tell if brokers are ever honest about names of neighborhoods anymore!)

We're looking for a neighborhood with parks nearby and things to do for a young married couple, restaurants, etc. family/baby friendly too.

thanks so much,
Kris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 10:45 AM

650 posts, read 2,517,225 times
I am not familiar with those blocks although thats Crown Heights, PH cuts off after Washington Ave.
PH west of Underhill is very nice although would cost a bit more than anything east of Washington

Old 04-07-2010, 12:15 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,978,934 times
hm, yeah. I see it's a bit out of PH proper. but it's only East of Washington by about 1.5 blocks...anyone else have any insight?

Old 04-07-2010, 08:06 PM

34,074 posts, read 47,260,557 times
the ghetto.

and thats crown heights, depending on which side of the street you are referring to. west of classon is PH, east of classon is CH.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-08-2010, 04:14 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,593,950 times
Indeed, yet one more example of the real estate industry showing just how sleazy it can be! Prospect Heights is the district directly across Flatbush Avenue from Park Slope. By the time you get as far east as Classon, you're definitely not in Prospect Heights any more.

However, the area may not be as awful as some would have you believe. It's within the brownstone belt, and I believe there has been an influx of new, taxpaying brownstone owners in that area within the last few years. Still, I think I'd take a wait-and-see attitude towards that particular part of the borough. (It might be interesting if you confronted the real estate agent, and insisted he or she might try something new--like being ethical, for instance--and show you something that's actually in Prospect Heights!)

Old 04-08-2010, 07:31 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,983,626 times
Crown Heights has some VERY nice brownstones, and a lot of them have been renovated to have excellent interiors, if you started from inside a house, you would never be able to tell where you were, but it's obvious once you walk out into the street that you're in the hood. I don't know if there's any brownstones in that spot in particular, but I'm just mentioning this because of Fred's comment.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:51 PM

904 posts, read 2,872,430 times
Yeah, that's technically in Crown Heights, but it's close enough that I wouldn't get too worked about it (seriously, as far as real estate agent neighborhood stretching goes, this is nothing...try calling Knickerbocker Ave. Williamsburg, or 25th St. Park Slope...that's just ludicrous). I have a friend who lived around there, between Bedford and Franklin, and it wasn't bad. I'd live there - I wouldn't go too far past there, though.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:41 AM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,977,043 times
Classon @ St. Marks Aves. are noisy as hell. Unparalleled MTA transportation to anywhere. Best Mexican food joint in the city. Modest rents. Very good services, park, main library, BK Museum all within walking distance. Very popular with 20-30 somethings on budgets.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:32 PM

155 posts, read 445,490 times
I'm a dog walker in this area, both at St. Mark's at Franklin (block east of Classon) and Sterling at Franklin. It should tell you something that people in this area need dog walkers. It is Crown Heights. There is a distinct change once you're east of Washington Ave., bluntly, fewer white people. The streets are dirtier, buildings are dingier, you will see a lot of people hanging out on stoops, music blaring from windows. But I wouldn't call it the hood in the same sense as Brownsville or ENY. Granted I'm only there during the day, but I've never felt unsafe. You see a fair amount of 20-somethings walking toward Washington with guitars strapped to their shoulders, so it might be a good bet if you're on a budget.

That said, I wouldn't want to live there. I have a feeling it isn't as safe at night, and even though it's part of the "brownstone belt" the buildings on that stretch of St. Mark's are hideous, especially a long row of houses with bright blue doors and bars. You'll know what I'm talking about. There is also an elementary school nearby, so you'd have to deal with loud children hanging out near your apartment in the morning and afternoon. I just get a generally unpleasant feel from the block. I'm not a big fan of Prospect Heights proper, either, but it is far better than the block you're looking at...I'd look there even if it is a bit pricier.

The museum, library, Prospect Park, etc. are within walking distance, but I'd reckon you'd feel somewhat disconnected from them as they are a good 6 or 7 blocks away. If that matters to you, I would look at Lincoln Place or St. John's place off Underhill. Safer than Crown Heights, but roughly same price range, and literally two blocks from the museum, park, etc. Big apartment buildings so probably a fair amount of rentals available. Just my 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City