Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 11:00 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times

Advertisements

Of course when you are starting from the bottom its not that surprising, nonetheless it was thanks to the community that the neighborhood has enjoyed such great improvement. They are providing new parks, spearheading the green initiatives in NYC, planting trees across the borough, cleaned up the Bronx River, and have major plans to tear down the Sheridan Expresway and make it a huge greenway (coming soon). The area continues to improve, with new life and blood making the area far more dynamic than it has ever been..I am glad to hear it! Hunt's Point: How South Bronx’s most-improved neighborhood stays that way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 11:11 AM

169 posts, read 419,046 times
I've thought about that sheridan expressway before. Its such a redundant stretch of highway. But id rather see it tied to the bronx river parkway on the south end of bronx park and have the bottom stretch of the bronx river parkway removed instead. i suggest that because the bronx river parkway runs right through a neighborhood, where as the sheridan runs along factories and less of a central location in the community. If they were to remove the bottom stretch of the bx river parkway, it would add a huge amount of space right in the middle of the neighborhood. yes, it would require infrastructure inprovements in terms of linking the sheridan with the bx river pkway, but they could easily recoup those costs by selling some of the land for badly needed residential development where the bronx river parkway currently runs through the neighborhood. At the same time, it would do a lot more to strengthen the neighborhood than eliminating the sheridan, which doesn't necessarily run through the neighborhood and removing it wouldn't have nearly the same impact.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:31 AM

Removing the sheridan would have a huge impact on the community...it is a huge parcel of land that divides Hunts Point into 2....it is an easy way to provide green space to a community that severely lacks it, it will EASE the congestion and monumental air pollution that afflicts the area as much of the traffic will be rerouted much more efficiently, and it will drastically improve the area for pedestrians and bikes. As you do not live in the area, you grossly underestimate just how profound the changes would be not just for the community, but for the borough as a whole...that whole area is on the brink of major changes to flourish like never before.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:26 AM

730 posts, read 2,054,271 times
As much as the Bronx River Parkway runs through a residential area, the Sheridan being torn down would be much better. People living in Eastern Morrisania, Hunts Point, and Longwood would have parkspace and would be much more connected to the Bronx River.

Currently, people in Crotona would have to walk up a hill or catch the Bx11 bus to Crotona Park. Plus, the new greenspace would be near Fanie Lou Hamer High School and other schools, resulting in a new hangout for teenagers. They wouldn't have to go to Southern Blvd to hang out anymore.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:31 AM

730 posts, read 2,054,271 times
I congratulate Hunts Point for turning around and leading the way in the Bronx's resurgence and green movement. As an alum of PS 48 (Spofford Av and Faile St), I used to hate Hunts Point when I attended the school in the late 1990s. Now, I have noticed Hunts Point has grown many trees and added two beautiful waterfront parks. Another thing that I admire is the coexistence between longtime residents and the new artists.

The thing that I hope to see is that surrounding areas (such as Longwood, Morrisania, Soundview, and Mott Haven) can follow Hunts Point in turning themselves around.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:12 AM

556 posts, read 1,446,094 times
The part about tearing down the expressway..waht about the railroad tracks? They will still be there. Also, that park they are "building" with the paint red silos right btwn the bruckner and the where the 6 comes out of hunts point, when is that going to be finished? It looks the same from a year ago yet i see 3 or 4 vechiles parked there as if there is work going on. Looks like someone is making out nice, huh?

The entrance is right up next to the bruckner service road, and looks really crappy. all that walk does. What is the point of having that "green" park if its still next to the railroad tracks, and the way in is a glass and trash service road?

I think its supposed to hook up to some bikepath but i dunno how? the only other part of the path i saw was on accident, 3 am in the morning that is right outside the soundview houses. Reminded me of one of the state parks on LI, built but never known about now just overgrown.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:15 PM

The railroad tracks are necessary and are below grade so it would be irrelevant to the green space created by tearing down the Sheridan. Regharding the new park, it is called Concrete Plant Park, it is on the Bronx River and part of the huge waterfront greenway they are creating in and around Hunts Point. It was supposed to be completed this fall, but as with most things, it is delayed. It will probably be ready in Spring...it actually looks very nice, wait until it is finished..its going to be pretty cool. A little further up the Bronx river (as in 3 blocks from there) the new Best Western Hotel just opened, and they are completing another huge park adjacent to the hotel along the Bronx river..that one is gonna be awesome too.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:37 PM

They are below-grade? I will double check tonight because they seemed to be right up to the park.

Do you have anymore info on the bike path thru the bronx? I know its supposed to start in soundview, but the only part i saw was right into the PJ's.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:45 PM

ahh..you are referring to the 6 train..I was referring to the Metro-North. The 6 train goes above ground after Hunts Point...so the back of the park has the train tracks behind it..it has nothing to do with the park or the tearing down of the Sheridan though. This is a good start...you can also search for Bronx Greenway, South Bronx Greenway, Tearing down the Sheridan, etc. South Bronx Greenway (http://www.nycedc.com/Web/AboutUs/OurProjects/CurrentProjects/SouthBronxGreenway.htm - broken link)

Old 12-16-2008, 02:48 PM

No i was referring to the Metro-north/Amtrack. They should really do something with that old control tower or watever it is. Thanks for the info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City