Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2011, 09:18 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,589,334 times

Advertisements

There is also the issue of people (both young and older) who wish to network (a/k/a "rub elbows") for business, politics, similar lifestyles, etc. However, these days, that element might be taking a backseat to Facebook etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 08:53 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,178,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaReSe67 View Post
I've seen a couple of threads on here with people who are from out of town who want to live in NYC so much. Let me tell you Manhattan is full of people who are not really in fact New Yorkers. Tourists, Transplants, and stupid people with money. And once you've been in New York for a decent amount of time its just like anywhere else its what your used to. I mean it'll always be my home and I wouldn't live anywhere else but its not exactly like the streets are paved with gold.
Ok......maybe some of us, don't care about the other folks in NYC but we just like the vibe and energy of NYC.

I'll be moving there very soon and it has nothing to do with anyone specific thing, I just like city living. Always have, always will.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:54 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,178,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
This isn't necessarily true for the other four boroughs. Of course, people who aren't natives usually don't know about anything outside Manhattan.
Naaaah................. not true.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:15 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
This is why hipsters and transplants are drawn to this city. Watch the video link below.

Vimeo, Video Sharing For You

Old 01-24-2011, 06:38 AM

110 posts, read 219,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesbarkley View Post
I love New York City, but I decided when I was young not to limit myself to NYC in the world, as it really is not everything, and no matter how large/diverse/globally significant a city is, theres nothing more closed minded than staying in one place your whole life. So I've branched out.

To be very BLUNT, and crude. "Native" New Yorkers of the current 18-25 year old generation are the most useless human beings on the planet, and excuse my extreme generalizations.
Basically, they're fake, and I mean the transplants (who are the majority in Manhattan, and north BK neighborhoods) who after a year in the city, lie through their teeth that they are natives (these are the types that still think there really is such thing as East Williamsburg) TYPICALLY the same types that come to NYC to attend art schools, on their parents dime.
And as we all know they've began to refill the stereotype of rude new yorkers, full of the same type of ignorant pride that you can compare to racists. I'm talking about the pride that "natives" have about being raised somewhere completely by random chance in birth, and taking this as superiority to out of towners, I used to see it daily, made my stomach turn.

I am also safely assuming that K.O.N.Y is of the aforementioned generation.

I totally understand what you are saying, I grew up here, as did my parents and grandparents and I also left to travel and see the world for some years. And recently I have come back and noticed a dramatic increase in these transplant types.

I think the real native new yorkers are not rude so much as they are very direct, a bit too honest for some people, I noticed that living outside NY many people thought of me as rude simply for that, but not because I was trying to be rude.

In the case of these god knows where they come from "New Yorkers" in Manhattan and parts of brooklyn, It is like they are consciously trying to be rude and elitist, I am not sure why they develop this, maybe to actually look like they have a personality of some kind?

Old 01-24-2011, 06:50 AM

956 posts, read 1,207,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeSI View Post
I totally understand what you are saying, I grew up here, as did my parents and grandparents and I also left to travel and see the world for some years. And recently I have come back and noticed a dramatic increase in these transplant types.

I think the real native new yorkers are not rude so much as they are very direct, a bit too honest for some people, I noticed that living outside NY many people thought of me as rude simply for that, but not because I was trying to be rude.

In the case of these god knows where they come from "New Yorkers" in Manhattan and parts of brooklyn, It is like they are consciously trying to be rude and elitist, I am not sure why they develop this, maybe to actually look like they have a personality of some kind?
I think it's more of the lines showing off and thinking they're better than the rest of the country because I live in New York City and not some "hick" small town USA or another average city. We have so many great cities in this country, but NYC is basically the center stage.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:53 AM

110 posts, read 219,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeHudson View Post
I think it's more of the lines showing off and thinking they're better than the rest of the country because I live in New York City and not some "hick" small town USA or another average city. We have so many great cities in this country, but NYC is basically the center stage.
Moving to New York does not make you magically develop the characteristics of a New Yorker. Just as me moving to Memphis Tennessee does not make me a southerner. I like other cities alot and other places in the country, I only live here because my family is here, my roots, my ethnic enclaves and work opportunity, not some kind of "pluralistic" "open minded" "cosmopolitan" "diversity" bull**** fantasy I want to live out.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:10 AM

468 posts, read 1,337,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeSI View Post

Those transplant types have also infested my DC
They are everywhere down here
They call themselves "Washingtonians" after just 6 months of living here
PATHETIC

Old 01-25-2011, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeHudson View Post
Unfortunately the DC area is rapidly becoming their center stage as well.
Trendiness in it's purest form.
DISGUSTING.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
Give me 45 minutes with one of them and I can spot their lie. I've lived here since 1975 and, contrary to what the transplant noobs presume, real New Yorkers tend to be nice. The transplants think "rude" is "the 'real' NY" but nothing could be further from the truth, IMO. By the time they learn this, their parents get fed up supporting them and then they have no choice but to return to where ever. Good riddance.
Give me just 5 minutes with them and I will have them looking like a deer in headlights.

Thats how we roll down here.

DC/MD/VA 4 LIFE!!!!!

Last edited by WASHINGTON BULLET; 01-25-2011 at 03:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City