Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2009, 04:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,220 times

Advertisements

I will be visiting Manhattan this weekend and I'm hoping to visit Williamsburg as well as I've heard it's an artist town. Can anyone tell me which train to take and where to get off so that I can get the best appreciation of Williamsburg. Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 04:21 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,975,370 times
A town???? It's a neighborhood in Brooklyn.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:53 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,172,221 times
Take the L train from Union Square in the Brooklyn/Cararsie direction and get off at Bedford Ave. - it's one stop after 1st Ave in Manhattan and is the first stop in Brooklyn. You will be getting out at Bedford Ave and N. 7th St.

I would suggest walking south on Bedford if you just want to have a look around. I'm sure you could find a gallery guide online before you go, if you're interested in galleries.

And I would say at this point it's more a hipster-town rather than an artist-town.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:40 AM

749 posts, read 2,458,444 times
This painter lives in Williamsburg and he does paintings on clear fiber glass canvases using water. You should try to check him out if you can. Here's a clip:

YouTube - Painter of the Nothing - Brooklyn by Night

Old 01-18-2009, 01:30 PM

14 posts, read 99,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskit View Post
This painter lives in Williamsburg and he does paintings on clear fiber glass canvases using water. You should try to check him out if you can. Here's a clip:

YouTube - Painter of the Nothing - Brooklyn by Night

LOL this is so stupid it's almost amazing!
yes, you'll find ten thousand hipsters and self proclaimed artists in Williamsburg like that guy
and if you can't dance, just say you're dancing while standing still, cause it's a new hip thing to do

Old 01-18-2009, 02:45 PM

6 posts, read 22,539 times
Hi, I'm reading that Williamsburg is a good area to live (I'm moving to NYC in 4 weeks-ish). Can anyone advise me on the best spots within Williamsburg to look at? Thanks a lot.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:04 AM

10,181 posts, read 20,816,710 times
Williamsburg is NOT the new East Village of the 60's/70's. Lot's of trendy people (hipsters) and business'. Rents are going up because of the influx of Manhattanites. Williamsburg is primarily a bunch of overpriced dumpy railroad flats that most of it's previous residents couldn't wait to leave. No one who grew up in railroad rooms wanted to stay there if they had a choice. Most people moving there now just want to text their friends/family back home in Ohio and brag about life in the big bad city. It's a very transient neighborhood, because eventually you grow tired of living like an immigrant off the boat which is why those homes were built in the first place, as temporary housing to handle the surge of immigration at the turn of the century 100 years ago. However, it is a better place to live than it was 15 years ago when Kent Ave. was a stroll for prostitutes and junkies.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:40 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,172,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishJon View Post
Hi, I'm reading that Williamsburg is a good area to live (I'm moving to NYC in 4 weeks-ish). Can anyone advise me on the best spots within Williamsburg to look at? Thanks a lot.
I read your other posts in another thread and I think for someone coming to NYC from overseas with you budget and your plans to bike to work that if you are going to look at Williamsburg you are best off looking anywhere within walking distance (10 minutes) of the first three stops of the L train in Brooklyn (Bedford, Lorimer and Graham).

These areas are a bit overwhelmingly trendy, though there are still some property owners and renters who have been there for years and do not fit that description.

With regards to the housing stock, there are alot of cheaply made frame houses, unlike some of the stately areas of Brooklyn like Brooklyn Heights and Park Slope. However, in the past 8 years or so there's been a housing boom and many many "luxury" condos have been built. You might check out these articles about Williamsburg in the NY Times
Condos Flood In and
Old Europe and New Brooklyn in Williamsburg

If you are into hipness and a young crowd, then the area might be right for you. If you are not, then try a different part of Brooklyn.

btw, I have a few friends who have lived near there since the late '80s who are constantly on their bikes and often ride into Manhattan via the Williamsburg bridge.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:48 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,584,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Most people moving there now just want to text their friends/family back home in Ohio and brag about life in the big bad city.
Hipsters strike again. Rents go up as Mom and Pop remit funds from trust funds. Longtime residents pack bags and move on in search of frontiers yet not discovered by newcomers.

One can now understand the sentiments of the original natives when they looked at that European vessel on the horizon and cried out, "Not another one again!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City