Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 08:05 PM

988 posts, read 3,254,594 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone for replying, I will consider your recommendations. My wife is really set on moving, that's been her goal since 2002. I'm more logical but she goes off of more emotion. Wish me luck, I think we'll go ahead with my original plan but sign a 6 month lease and if I don't find anything by then, move back. I'll just have my wife delay her move until I find a job or she finds one. If neither does in 6 months, then i'll just delay the permanent move for 2 years or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I'd take Hoboken over Jersey City any day. Nice views of the city and safer. In summer they have nice street festivals and if you happen to land a job in Jersey as opposed to Manhattan, you're already there. Either that or you can look at Long Island City or Astoria as nice options. Plenty of on street shopping in Astoria, it's a good walking neighborhood with lot's of conveniences.
which is lower priced?
Hoboken, Long Island City, JC, or Astoria? I know that Hoboken is probably the most expensive.

Also, a friend told me that the Upper East Side toward 1st ave is a little cheaper than the rest of Manhattan below 96th st because its a distance from the Lexington 4/5/6 subway and one must take a hike or a bus to get there, is that true?

Old 01-19-2009, 08:44 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,845,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
Thanks. I understand what you are saying. The reason why I wanted to come in February is because i'm looking at apartment complexes in Jersey City and Hoboken that are nationally managed(Gables, Equity,etc) and require their tenants to submit 60-day notices to vacate therefore, I would have to sign a lease 60 days before I move to the area to secure an apt. I don't plan on moving to Manhattan right off the bat. Where would one find a 4-month sublet anyways? Fill me in on that one, that may be a good idea. However, our lease is up in April and my wife will be moving in with friends so we need to bring our furniture here (my friend works for a moving company and it'll cost me $300, less than storage but more of a hassle). This leads to another issue, my wife will only pay for food and utilties at her friend's place so she will supplement me here with her income. That way, where ever I lease, we will have income coming in from both of us(i'll work remotely for 3 months). I just worry that my wife is soooo picky and have high expectations that she may want to lease an expensive apt, she needs a reality check. Anyways, thanks for the reply, if we can't find a job within 6 months(god forbid), then we will simply move to another city. Luckily, we have the cash reserves for at least a year but don't want to dip into that.
This is a HUGE RISK at this time but we've really thought about it and are aware of the huge obstacles. This is our goal, friends/family think we are stupid, but we are not happy here and need to do this.
I agree that you should delay your move! If you must move now you might want to consider looking for your job in Jersey, it is probably a bit better than NY right now! You should post on Jersey Forum they might be of more help there! Good Luck!

Old 01-21-2009, 08:52 AM

172 posts, read 475,976 times
Hey, don't be discouraged! Yes, rents are inching downward, finally. You might check out this site, if you haven't already ... nybits.com. No-fee apartments, though I wouldn't call em bargains exactly. But these are legit management companies, at least. And it includes apartments in and around Jersey City, if you're interested in that, though I'd say you're missing out a lot on the city experience if you camped out there.

Better to go for Astoria or Sunnyside in Queens, or maybe even the South Slope or Windsor Terrace (or even Bay Ridge) in Brooklyn. Or squeeze into an upper East Side place for a while. The size (which truly will shock you) won't matter till the euphoria of being here wears off after a year or so!

Can't say anything intelligent about your job search ... I'm in the media biz and we're getting hammered too! Good luck. It's tough all over so live where you want to, I'd say!

Old 01-21-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith talent View Post
Hey, don't be discouraged! Yes, rents are inching downward, finally. You might check out this site, if you haven't already ... nybits.com. No-fee apartments, though I wouldn't call em bargains exactly. But these are legit management companies, at least. And it includes apartments in and around Jersey City, if you're interested in that, though I'd say you're missing out a lot on the city experience if you camped out there.

Better to go for Astoria or Sunnyside in Queens, or maybe even the South Slope or Windsor Terrace (or even Bay Ridge) in Brooklyn. Or squeeze into an upper East Side place for a while. The size (which truly will shock you) won't matter till the euphoria of being here wears off after a year or so!

Can't say anything intelligent about your job search ... I'm in the media biz and we're getting hammered too! Good luck. It's tough all over so live where you want to, I'd say!
Thanks,
No way, we are not discouraged, trust me, whatever people have recommended on this site is what we've been hearing all along from friends and family so we are making the move. You only live once so its worth the risk. We are inching toward 30 and if we don't move now then we won't ever. I'll check out those areas, thanks.
Someone said that the economy was better in Texas...hmmm, not neccesarily in Austin. Housing prices didn't drop like the rest of the country because we never were on the bubble in the first place. Austin has never been a really good place to work if you are not in high tech. So many people want to live here and I personally know people with Master's Degrees flipping burgers. The percentage of professional jobs in Austin is much lower than NYC. High demand place, too many educated people living here and willing to work anywhere to live here. Austin is premarily a college town with government jobs and high tech, nothing much else.
Anyways, we won't delay our move, in a year, we'll know if it were a mistake or not.
thanks

Old 02-20-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
Hello,
My wife is originally from about an hour and a half from the city so we've been planning to move to NYC for 3 years now. We both have stable emmployment but are not happy here in Austin, TX because we are truly big city people(I'm from Chicago). Enough ranting, ok here is our situation.

-i'm moving alone at the end of April to try to find a job. My company will let me work remotely in NYC until I find a job there.
-my wife is completing her CPA and will join me in July.
-we both will have income, she'll still be working in Austin, and i'll be working remotely for a couple of months until I find something in NYC.
-i'm going in late Feb for 4 days to sign a lease, hopefully find an apartment. We will look for a one-bd unit, our income now is about 105 K which isn't much by NYC standards.
-both have great credit, and over 25K in savings and no car payments.
-We are looking at Jersey City or Hoboken but are shocked at how Manhattan's prices are declining(ex: 1 BD unit, hells kitchen $1,600, 700 sq ft, nice place)

what do u think about this plan? We are DEFINITELY moving even the economy sucks but we'd rather be happy in NYC. My wife will be a CPA so I take that being an accountant should be too hard to find a job. I work with housing and compliance but am really specialized. Everyone says that finding a job will be tough but do you expect us to find a job in 3 months or less? Any suggestions or pointers?

Sorry about the long post, thanks.
Well, to update my plans, I was seriously reconsidering not moving but i've had a few interviews and a friend of a friend had a bedroom in JC become available for $600 per month on a 3 month lease. Now, i'm going to take a dive because the risk is completely diminished and if I can't get a job in 3 months then i'll move back. My point is that if you don't know anyone in NYC and have less than $10,000 in the bank, delay the move until the econ improves...when, no one knows. thx for all the replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: