Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 09:00 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,570,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolen78 View Post
THATS WHAT I'm interested in... WHY IS THERE NO PLACE LIKE NYC? What makes it worth it? I'll give up the extra $30K if I am spending it for "something"
Wait till tomorrow for some good responses. See, here in NYC, there's so much going on that hardly anyone is online on a Saturday night. In fact, I was just heading out the door when I logged in and saw your post. I'm so busy doing stuff here in the city with all its entertainment options that I'm hardly online.

I'm sure tomorrow you'll get some more feedback - it being Sunday a few posters might log in.

Cheers weld....I mean Bolen!

Last edited by Moderate Guy; 01-24-2009 at 09:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 09:01 PM

46 posts, read 194,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
From my experience you have to live in a city for several months to form an honest answer. We know nothing about you...your likes/dislikes, do you hate traffic and long lines, crowds of people everywhere you go, noise and air pollution, hot humid summers and cold winters? Do you drive, if so prepare yourself for bad drivers, no parking, and very bad road conditions.

When people fantasize about life in NYC, they think...outdoor cafe's on a spring night, convenience of stores open at all hours just a short walk from home, culture, nightlife, great dining, diversity, and all of this wrapped up neatly like a "Friends" or "Seinfeld" episode. Similar to how people envision living in California...as though you're going to live on the beach surrounded by sunshine and beautiful woman in paradise. You really have to try it for yourself to see if the good outweighs the bad.
I actually think NYC is a pretty tough place, IE: cold and bad weather, tons of people, lines, etc...etc.. it can be really bad.
My company pays for my car, so that's whatever.
I dont mind driving and traffic ( since I work from home)
I do NEED space - since I do work from home.
I like the urban environment, the culture, and the ability to ust bounce around the city at night to party.
I love the people I meet from NYC as they are all much different than people from the suburbs.
I actually have the impression that living in the city actually makes things more difficult to do, and simple tasks done in the suburbs are made difficult because of the crowds, and congestion.
but it's so brutally expensive. - In just one year living someplace else, I could SAVE up $30K+ and just go to NYC whenever I want for fun I guess..

Old 01-24-2009, 09:02 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolen78 View Post
well I kind of do... I've spent some good time in NYC, and for the next 2 months, I am going to live in a sublet ( one of my friends is in europe ) so I'm going to test it out... but every time I leave NYC I do MISS/HATE it. It's a hard city. and sometimes when I log into my bank account, I really like having CASH. It's a really hard decision for me, there is nothing one thing that is making me want to live in ONE place.
Maybe you will just have to work harder to make more money to live here if that's what you decide.What good does the extra $$$ do if you will be pining for NY?
Sounds like you have good prospects to increase your income in the future,no?

Old 01-24-2009, 09:06 PM

I work at a start-up, so we could do AWESOME, or it could NOT. It's likely that my sales coudl go up this yea and I break 200K, or more, but again, with the increase in cash, taxes go up too. so while it's good, I won't make that much more...
I totally cannot make a decision, this is the issue with just working/traveling 100% I'm just totally confused and am not satisfied with any one location.
What would be good is if I fall in love some place and just move and not think about any of the logistics/ money...
Maybe I'll find a giri in NYC.
I'm 30 years old and single...

Old 01-24-2009, 09:07 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
I would think that a lower tax rate would be a good thing to find, combined with a better rental price. If you want to stay in the general area of New York, you might consider Stamford, CT. The taxes and housing cost are lower than the city, and you're a train ride away from Manhattan. It's about 40 miles, but close enough that you're in the metro area and Stamford is a small city.

The other direction to go would be south to Wilmington, DE, but you're 125 miles from Manhattan and as opposed to a commuter train, it's an Amtrak to Manhattan.

From Florida, however, you would have the benefit of lower cost airlines to commute a few times a year, but it's not the same as being in the area, although you do save on taxes. If you want NYC, check into CT, since it might work for your situation.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:11 PM

I hear ya, I think it's either NYC or some other place like ( florida, texas or no-tax state) It's gonna be one extreme or the other.
WHY?
Just because If I'm going to live in NY, I'll be right in the middle of it with my friends in SOHO, or LES, etc.. if I'm not, I feel like I should have a reason like: " I'm living in florida and banking ALL my money"
Decisions.......

Old 01-24-2009, 09:18 PM

Well, Lower Manhattan is pricey, and on $150k, you're looking at a rental in the sub $3750 range. That doesn't go far when you need a home office, however, and parking can be an absolute chore. So, that does give one pause, as to whether or not Manhattan is worth it, since you would not have a lifestyle comparable to other parts of the country.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:20 PM

I wouldn't need parking, I would sell my car before I move. I have found plenty of places around $2500 that are "OK" but it is for sure a HUGE change in lifestyle...

Old 01-24-2009, 09:23 PM

$2500 in SoHo?? Well, it's either a misleading advertisement or a parking spot. If it's other areas of Lower Manhattan, that sounds about right for a 1BR or a studio, but if it's claimed to be a 2BR, it's more than likely 1BR with a closet that has a window.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:25 PM

Oh for sure, the $2500 got me an OK 1 Bedroom or open loft in East village, OR a shoebox 1 BDRM in soho, basically an office, and a bedroom, with crappy closets... Life in NYC is totally different that other parts of the country... We have much more space..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City