Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 10:30 AM

26 posts, read 126,709 times

Advertisements

I recently visited the upper west side. Hadn't been there in about 3 yrs and for some reason, I really liked it this time. Now I've been a die hard downtown fan (Tribeca/West Village/Union Sq.) as far as I can remember, but the other day really made me consider the UWS.

What I want to know is basically how the West Village (or the village in general) compares to the UWS concerning:

1) crime & safety
2) condo/co-op prices (and space, quality)
3) rents
4) things to do
5) any other useful information about the UWS

ps. the 'long' commute is not really a concern. I've lived in NJ all my life, and am used to a 35 min-1 hr commute into the city/riding 2 different path trains/driving through the tunnel etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 12:04 PM

359 posts, read 2,593,413 times
I would say that they would be similiar in crime specs. However, when you say the upper west side do you include Harlem? Or does your upper westside stop at 110 St? If you include Harlem the Upper Westside would have more crime than The West Village or the Village as a whole. And ofcourse Co-Op prices are going to be higher and nicer in UWS. Rents as well. But the rents in the village are quickly creeping up there. When talking about things to do, The Village is alot more lively with younger people. Naturally there is more things to do.

You might want to check out parts of Alphabet City that have not been consumed by The East Village. Rents are low compared to other parts around that area and there is still alot to do.

Old 03-01-2007, 12:47 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,946,770 times
I think it's all in one's perspective. There is lots to do on the UWS: museums, Lincoln Center, Central Park. Frankly, in the Village there are restaurants and nice looking neighborhoods, but not that much else.

Right now the Village is hot real estate, but only slightly hotter than the UWS. So you'll pay top dollar, regardless of where you choose. And condos are, as usual, pricier than co-ops.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:29 PM

26 posts, read 126,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJerzyKidUNO View Post
I would say that they would be similiar in crime specs. However, when you say the upper west side do you include Harlem? Or does your upper westside stop at 110 St? If you include Harlem the Upper Westside would have more crime than The West Village or the Village as a whole.

No, I definitely would not move to Harlem, I'd top out at 90th, don't even wanna get close.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:15 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,635,194 times
What's wrong with Harlem? Harlem doesn't truely begins untill you reach at least 110th.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:57 PM

359 posts, read 2,593,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
What's wrong with Harlem? Harlem doesn't truely begins untill you reach at least 110th.
Thruthfully not much is wrong with Harlem. Alot of it is all talk. But I wont say its ALL talk. Harlem has made alot of strides but it hasnt completley renewed itself. But I would have no problem living in Harlem if not for the high prices.

Old 03-16-2007, 09:01 AM

52 posts, read 229,947 times
Default 90th?

You'd really stop at 90th Street? I'm considering an apt. at 93rd/Amsterdam. Should I reconsider?

Old 03-16-2007, 09:10 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by im2005 View Post
You'd really stop at 90th Street? I'm considering an apt. at 93rd/Amsterdam. Should I reconsider?
No way! Go 4 it! That is a very nice area. Well stocked area, there are some very nice buildings around there, and there are also some nice restaurants and bars on Broadway. That is still considered the Upper West Side BTW.

110th on the west side is not considered Harlem depending on who you talk to. It is considered Morningside Heights. That neighborhood has a noticeably different feel than the rest of Harlem and East Harlem, due to Columbia U. It is sort of a combo of Harlem and the Upper West Side. But hey we can argue about this all day.

People are so scared for no reason. These days I feel pretty safe in about 97% percent of Manhattan. Some parts on the east in Harlem are still not the greatest. Some parts of Wash. Heights are still sort of bad as well, but outside of that I feel very safe.

Old 03-16-2007, 11:45 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,838 times
The traditional border for Harlem on the west side has long been 125th street. I don't think that has changed.

I am shocked that someone from NJ has no idea of that or what the entertainment options up there would be. Also using the word commute in terms of living on the UWS? Where on earth do you work?

Rents are very high all the way up to 118th street in my opinion. I always really liked the area around Columbia. But that area does NOT have big cheap apartments available as someone had stated on a recent thread. You would have to go further north for that and at that point you would have to be willing to make more trade offs.

Last edited by cyntmac; 03-16-2007 at 12:01 PM..

Old 03-16-2007, 08:40 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,124,664 times
I would go for the West Village without a doubt, and for one reason: soul vs. sterile.

I've always found the UWS more 'burb than City especially in some of the major cross-street areas (i.e. 72nd, 79th, 86th), while I've always found GW alive no matter which street.

And depending on what you like and who you are: what to do varies. You might have lots of restaurants and brand-name shops up on the UWS, but you will find some long-standing charming eateries in the Village.

Crime, cost, and space may be similar. If you found a condo/apt in one of the pre-war UWS buildings you'd get more space. The newer apartment buildings in the Village are average sized, and some on the UWS are oversized--think: full-sized bed vs. king size bed.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR86 View Post
I recently visited the upper west side. Hadn't been there in about 3 yrs and for some reason, I really liked it this time. Now I've been a die hard downtown fan (Tribeca/West Village/Union Sq.) as far as I can remember, but the other day really made me consider the UWS.

What I want to know is basically how the West Village (or the village in general) compares to the UWS concerning:

1) crime & safety
2) condo/co-op prices (and space, quality)
3) rents
4) things to do
5) any other useful information about the UWS

ps. the 'long' commute is not really a concern. I've lived in NJ all my life, and am used to a 35 min-1 hr commute into the city/riding 2 different path trains/driving through the tunnel etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City