Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 09:31 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,669,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
So the three largest groups are:

African American : 33%

Puerto Rican : 25%

Dominican: 16%

Is this right?

And where are the Italians? I dont see them at all.
"

I think I read a while back that Italians/Italian-Americans make up only 5-7% of the Bronx's population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 05:28 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Despite it's overall growing diversity, most of The Bronx is still fairly segregated so you only see the breadth of the diversity in certain neighborhoods.The Italian population is concentrated in a small area around Pelham Parkway( North and South of the Parkway),the Irish population is concentrated in Woodlawn,Jamaicans in Wakefield,Jews in Riverdale, Dominicans here,Puerto Ricans there,etc.

One of the few truly diverse areas is the Pelham Parkway neighborhood.It is probably a majority( but not 50%) Hispanic area but has a large (for The Bronx) white population of about 30 % made up of the remnants of the old Italian,Jewish and Irish populations with a lot of Albanians and some transplants from Manhattan and Brooklyn thrown in.The black population seems to be around 25% and evenly divided between African Americans and African immigrants.The balance is filled out by Pakistani's,Indians and Asians.If I had to guess ,I would say that the area is about 35% hispanic,30% white,25% black and 10% " other." Also , unlike most of The Bronx,the neighborhood appears to be very economically diverse as well.
Check out the variety of shops and shoppers around Lydig avenue and White Plains Road some Saturday for a real taste of diversity.
Everyone seems to get along pretty well and the crime rate is low. In many ways it should be an example to the rest of The Bronx - and the rest of the country for that matter- of how we can all live together.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:34 AM

479 posts, read 1,442,775 times
Thanks for the info bluedog2. I honestly did not know the Bronx was so diverse. I though it was either White Americans, Black Americans and Puerto Ricans. Then a few Dominicans and recently some Mexicans somewhere. Sorry I need to be updated.

Do you think the Bronx will ever get its Chinatown? Seems like the other boroughs have one already. If it does happen, what neighborhood do you think it will take hold?

Old 02-04-2009, 07:35 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
There are a lot of African immigrants around Jerome. Their businesses are a welcome change from the usual chop shops on Jerome.

I think African and Mexican numbers will continue to increase and probably see the biggest increases. Also Dominicans will continue to trickle from DR and from Manhattan. West Indians will stay steady. PR's and Black Americans will decrease. Whites will increase steadily, but in small increments. Some Asian communities might see some small increases too.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekitor View Post
Thanks for the info bluedog2. I honestly did not know the Bronx was so diverse. I though it was either White Americans, Black Americans and Puerto Ricans. Then a few Dominicans and recently some Mexicans somewhere. Sorry I need to be updated.

Do you think the Bronx will ever get its Chinatown? Seems like the other boroughs have one already. If it does happen, what neighborhood do you think it will take hold?
Not sure if there is a "chinatown " in the Bronx's future. There seem to be a lot of asians moving in but they are not all Chinese or all any one variety.My neighborhood has Cambodians,Koreans,Vietnamese,Indian and Chinese.
Similarly,although the largest % of the neighborhood is "Hispanic",they are not all one variety either. There are Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, Guatemalans,Colombians, Salvadorians and Nicaraguans. And there are Brazilians... not sure if they are considered Hispanic since they speak Portugese,not Spanish.

So,I don't know.Maybe there will develop an "Asia Town" if enough congregate in one area but don't know if there will be enough for a "chinatown." Also,I think the immigration of Chinese has slowed because of the improved economy in China in recent years while the immigration of the other asian groups has increased.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:22 PM

894 posts, read 2,381,165 times
it said there are eastern europeans moving into the bronx, do you guys know where?

Old 02-04-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMack View Post
it said there are eastern europeans moving into the bronx, do you guys know where?
Albanians.

Probably if I had to guess. They are in a lot of Bronx neighborhoods. But probably their biggest concentration is in Pelham.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Not sure if there is a "chinatown " in the Bronx's future. There seem to be a lot of asians moving in but they are not all Chinese or all any one variety.My neighborhood has Cambodians,Koreans,Vietnamese,Indian and Chinese.
Similarly,although the largest % of the neighborhood is "Hispanic",they are not all one variety either. There are Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, Guatemalans,Colombians, Salvadorians and Nicaraguans. And there are Brazilians... not sure if they are considered Hispanic since they speak Portugese,not Spanish.

So,I don't know.Maybe there will develop an "Asia Town" if enough congregate in one area but don't know if there will be enough for a "chinatown." Also,I think the immigration of Chinese has slowed because of the improved economy in China in recent years while the immigration of the other asian groups has increased.
To add I think there will also be small increases in groups from other Latino countries besides the traditional PR and DR communities and the surging Mexican community.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMack View Post
Mostly Albanians.There are large numbers in Pelham Parkway and Belmont.They look like Italians and have moved into formerly heavy italian neighborhoods. In many cases they have bought out the Italian restaurants and pizza shops and run them under the old names like there has been no change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: