Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2014, 11:03 PM

17 posts, read 23,780 times

Advertisements

Would like to know what phone carrier everyone uses in nyc.

I bought an iphone 4s unlocked. I currently use it only for wifi at the moment. Im from the usa and in canada at the moment. I had to go back to the usa and also got this phone when ordered on ebay. I did not buy a sim card and dont have one. I would want one once i get back to the usa and thus have a carrier plan while in the usa.

I know virgin mobile is the cheapest usa monthly carrier plan but i didnt buy that iphone b/c if i wanted to use the iphone in canada on a plan, i wouldnt be able to buy a sim card in canada and use it just like that.

From what i read, theres basically if i want monthly plan, its tmobile, straight talk or metropcs right? Tmobile is 50 plus tax a month, straight talk is 45 plus tax per month and metropcs is around the same?

How much does a sim card cost for each carrier? I see that ebay has tmobile sim card for the iphone4s for like 5 dollars or so. But why does sim card cost lot more for the other 2 carriers? Would i be able to use a tmobile sim card for the iphone4s with straight talk? Again this is for my iphone 4s that is unlocked.

Obviously tmobile would be the best choice out of all of them? Curious about the service of straight talk. The thing that confuses me is tmobile is 50/month plus tax for 1gb of data then it slows down a lot. But straight talk on the other hand is 45/month unlimited everything and gives up to 3gb of data fast speed. If thats the case, isn't straight talk hands down the better deal?

I previously used an android phone in the usa and paid 35+tax for the 300 minute plan with unlimited internet and text. I know virgin mobile had 2.5gb data of 3g and then it slows down. On average, i say i would use max 2gb a month of data but majority of the time its less i would say data i use 1gb to 1.5gb a month. As for talking time, 300 minutes is more than enough for me so thats why i got the 35 dollar plan back with virgin mobile.

So which sim card/plan should i go with? Does it make a big difference since my iphone 4s is unlocked? I was going to go with tmobile but then when i saw its 1gb data fast speed only but straight talk is 3gb data fast speed and is 5 dollars less, then i thought straight talk might be better? Also i hear complaints that ppl say if u use too much data, straight talk will suspend your service? With virgin mobile, there was only one month where i went over 2.5gb of data and then internet went slow but i would say i use max 3gb data a month. So with tmobile 50 dollar plan of 1gb fast internet... you could use as much data as you want but its slow speed whereas straight talk would close your account?

Im in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City