Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 02:38 PM

567 posts, read 1,446,458 times

Advertisements

this doesn't happen across the board, it almost always happens in cities with compstat. if im correct nyc was the first to have compstat, right? so they basically laid the foundation for making it easier to fudge stats. so its not moot. furthermore, its almost too easy to fudge murders if the captain is in on it. if the city is in on this then the nypd can fudge 100 murders (which is just an example) and go completely undetected by the citizens. i mean really, would anyone even notice if nyc had 100 extra murders this year? probably not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 03:09 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
It happens in EVERY city and town across the country (and world for that matter). It is in EVERY city/town's best interest to fudge the stats and appear safer than it is. If you believe NYC, or a few cities are the only ones doing it, then you are only deluding yourself. If you want to believe that NYC is fudging 100 murders (for example)...you are welcome to. I believe the murder stats are generally accurate, and far more accurate than the other stats. My experience as a long time resident of Woodstock supports these stats and long term trends of decreasing crime....so although I recognize the stats are not 100% accurate (and we don't expect them to be) they are a good gauge as to what is happening in the city.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:46 PM

ok, 1. please show me where i said it doesn't happen in other cities or only in a select few. you can't. what i said is that it MOSTLY happens in cities (in the usa) who use compstat. 2. i never said i believe the nypd are fudging 100 murders. i used that as an example, hence "just an example" in parenthesis. 3. i also believe murders are a better indicator for crime than other stats. 4. lol, here we go with the "long time resident" crap. that doesn't work on me because im an an even LONGER time resident than you from what i understand. when were you born? 5. i don't think anyone expects stats to be 100% correct, but im sure everyone expects them to be true. the only reason the city is even safer is because the end of the crack epidemic in the early 90's anyway.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:45 PM

283 posts, read 1,072,429 times
Who can afford guns anymore?

Old 04-03-2009, 07:14 AM

So basically we are in agreement then GDK...and I "throw out" the longtime resident thing becuase I am not a newbie who lives in a $3,000 month studio apt in Soho. I am a decades long resident of Mott Haven...so I have been in the trenches and know first hand what is REALLY happening in NYC. And as a result, my experiences and the changes that have been occuring for years now jive with what the stats are showing, a continuing decrease in crime, year in and year out. Do I believe they are 100% accurate..heck no..but they are a good gauge into what is happening in the city. And with the murder rate down significantly, I can also support this as well..as there has been a HEAVY police presence over the last few months here, and that is no doubt a PROACTIVE response to any increase that may happen due to the economy. And as a result, crime is down further...and people here know it as well. Yes the end of the crack epidemic was ONE of the reasons why crime declined, but it was also the grass roots community organizations that stepped up and brought people together to make a change, as well as proactive policing, and the fact that we are generally becoming a less violent society. Nevertheless, sounds like we are in agreeement.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:32 AM

479 posts, read 1,443,054 times
Thanks for keeping it real SobroGuy!

Old 04-03-2009, 07:45 AM

19 posts, read 94,375 times
Your right SobroGuy about murder being murder. I was just feel at times people are naive in the way they promote these numbers, and I went off track talking about the other crime categories. This isnt the crack era which explains a lot. But what most concerns me is crimes that people commit against strangers usually like robbery, although the busy precincts stats have shown stats of going down, how much of it is real?

Old 04-03-2009, 09:24 AM

Hopster..who knows how much of it is real....I think the stats are a guage but nothing more...with the murder rate the closest thing to accurate you will get. I do believe that people promote the numbers naively, especially those that don't really understand the city, and different neighborhoods. However I would say that the numbers are accurate in so far as the TREND of decreasing crime is correct, inlcuding the murder rate.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:06 AM

Sobroguy, lets just agree to disagree.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:41 AM

Hehe...I can live with that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City