Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 05:28 PM

620 posts, read 1,073,805 times

Advertisements

I am a 31 year old male and wanted to start learning a trade ( H VAC or plumbing, etc.) I work a boring job which would allow me the money and the time to go to trade school and learn. I understand it takes years and practice offers most return on investment ?

I am bilingual , an avid reader and very detail oriented. I am willing to work hard but please nothing that takes over 10 years lol.

Anybody with experience or words of wisdom for this young savage ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 07:35 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,725,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfizz View Post
I am a 31 year old male and wanted to start learning a trade ( H VAC or plumbing, etc.) I work a boring job which would allow me the money and the time to go to trade school and learn. I understand it takes years and practice offers most return on investment ?

I am bilingual , an avid reader and very detail oriented. I am willing to work hard but please nothing that takes over 10 years lol.

Anybody with experience or words of wisdom for this young savage ??
Become an electrician. Yes it will take you 10 years to become a master, but when you get there you'll be pulling $300,000+ in the NYC tri-state. Along the way you have to apprentice and be a journeyman, but you'll be making $20-25+/hr along the way

Old 09-13-2017, 07:40 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,137,919 times
I don't know, but maybe this website might give you some ideas for apprenticeships in NY State (not all are in NYC). https://www.labor.ny.gov/pressreleas...iparchive.shtm

Old 09-13-2017, 08:04 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,089,626 times
I would assume that solar electrical generation would be a good field. But as long as people shower and sh*t there will always be a need for plumbers.
HVAC and electrician will always be in demand and well paid.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:08 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,725,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I would assume that solar electrical generation would be a good field. But as long as people shower and sh*t there will always be a need for plumbers.
HVAC and electrician will always be in demand and well paid.
You can earn an ok living installing panels or maintaining solar systems, but all the money is in the electrical work. There are not enough electricians to go around, if you get your masters license you can do commercial/residential jobs on top of all the solar projects out there. There are not enough electricians to go around and NY is very strict on licensing. You can easily make more than say a dentist or even general practitioner doctors. It's f***ed up. Trust me, go into electrical and work on doing it for the long run when you're in your 40ies you will be set for life (assuming you don't electrocute yourself or burn somebody's strip mall down)

Old 09-13-2017, 08:15 AM

106,703 posts, read 108,880,922 times
i was in hvac / factory automation for 40 years

Old 09-13-2017, 08:32 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,089,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
You can earn an ok living installing panels or maintaining solar systems, but all the money is in the electrical work. There are not enough electricians to go around, if you get your masters license you can do commercial/residential jobs on top of all the solar projects out there. There are not enough electricians to go around and NY is very strict on licensing. You can easily make more than say a dentist or even general practitioner doctors. It's f***ed up. Trust me, go into electrical and work on doing it for the long run when you're in your 40ies you will be set for life (assuming you don't electrocute yourself or burn somebody's strip mall down)

If I could do it all over again, I think I would forgo my BS in Chem engineering and my MBA in Finance and Economics and spend the time learning a good trade. (But then would I be haunted by "If only I had gone to college?"

Unfortunately, had I skipped college I likely would have been drafted and killed in Vietnam. But then there's always the easier way out: "Who do I have to suck to get out of here?"

Old 09-13-2017, 08:39 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,239,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Not enough electricians? Where did you hear that from? My H is in Local 3 and there's tons of guys sitting on the bench. Getting the master's license takes a long time and yes, once you get that and a shop uses your license, you're set for life. Most electricians, journeymen, make a decent salary. The downside is furlough.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:17 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,238,724 times
Hobart Institute of Welding Program One (Structural and Pipe). Would be the best 16k you ever spent.

Old 09-14-2017, 04:24 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,581,436 times
Hvac
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City