Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 02:57 PM

32 posts, read 171,840 times

Advertisements

Hi all -

They say now is the time to buy, but I'm just curious about down payments for coops. The areas i'm looking into are: gerritsen beach, marine park, madison, sheepshead bay... and even howard beach (queens). Prices in theses areas for 2 brs are great but I hear that most want 20% down payments, thats insane! Anyone know if they go lower or if there is anyway around paying that much for a down payment?

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 03:03 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
For Manhattan, that would be a LOW down payment. It's pretty standard for co-ops to have minimal required down-payment that are around 20%, but realize that some buildings require 50% and some buildings (usually on Fifth and Park Avenues and on Central Park West) don't allow ANY mortgage and require 100% cash.

So, putting this into perspective, 20% isn't that bad.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:07 PM

I know it isn't bad and I know how ridiculous Manhattan is, but in today's economy I would think that they would lower the down payments. I know that 2 years ago my sister in law bought a two family house on SI and didnt put a penny down. I also know that down payments for houses are really low right now. I just don't know how I can come up with 20%.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsP614 View Post
I know it isn't bad and I know how ridiculous Manhattan is, but in today's economy I would think that they would lower the down payments. I know that 2 years ago my sister in law bought a two family house on SI and didnt put a penny down. I also know that down payments for houses are really low right now. I just don't know how I can come up with 20%.
That's precisely WHY they don't lower the down payment: they need to know that the proposed member CAN afford it in this economy. They would NOT be happy to see shareholder become unable to hold up his/her side of the financial agreement.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:26 PM

So even if we have excellent credit and city jobs theres no way around it? btw - thank you for responding so quickly.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:31 PM

Nope, it's part of the downside of co-ops. On the upside, they're among the most secure kind of housing in NYC, with respect to soundness of financials. Condos are hurting now, precisely because of the economy: people are walking away from their down payments and, when a condo owner goes bankrupt, when the assets are divided, the condo is low-man on the totem pole. In a co-op, should a shareholder go bankrupt, the co-op gets the money FIRST.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:42 PM

922 posts, read 3,861,784 times
The co-ops in Gerritsen Beach are very well-kept and reasonably priced. We live in the neighborhood and have friends who live in a co-op on Knapp St. In fact, they they are selling their 1BR because they are upgrading to a 3BR in another co-op building around the corner. They are very happy with their current building, but just want more space.

20% down, however, is the norm. Each building is different, so you might find a rare exception, but it is doubtful. Likely, if there is an exception, the RE agent will be pitching it to you. The good news is that unlike Manhattan, the co-op boards out here are generally less uptight about whether you are personally worthy of the privilege of living amongst them. This is more of a working class area. Basically if your finances are good and you don't seem like a jerk, you're in. But again.... every building is different.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:14 PM

Upstater - We currently live in the neighborhood as well and my husband has lived here his whole life so that sort of makes us neighbors, I like it here and would love to stay. We are also lucky to know a RE agent who works for Fillmore and we're hoping that will help us find the good deals but I'm not sure that will help us much. If 20% is the norm, are there coops for around 10-15% or is that very rare?

Old 04-22-2009, 04:19 PM

922 posts, read 3,861,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsP614 View Post
Upstater - We currently live in the neighborhood as well and my husband has lived here his whole life so that sort of makes us neighbors, I like it here and would love to stay. We are also lucky to know a RE agent who works for Fillmore and we're hoping that will help us find the good deals but I'm not sure that will help us much. If 20% is the norm, are there coops for around 10-15% or is that very rare?
I think your agent friend at Fillmore would be much more of an expert on the subject than me. I'm only talking from general knowledge.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:59 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Your best bet for buying a coop with less than 20% down is if you find a sponsor owned apartment.Typically,sponsor owned apartments are not subject to board rules and approvals so they can sell their apartments with 10% or less down even if the coop has a 20% or less rule.Banks have really tightened qualifications a lot however and will only give 90 or 95 % financing if your credit score is above 720 or 750 and you have a very secure job like a tenured teaching position or government employment.

And your agent is not likely to tell you about sponsor owned apartments because they are frequently sold directly by the sponsor without brokers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City