Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 09:10 PM

15 posts, read 33,748 times

Advertisements

Is this a decent section of Queens for a white guy in his late 20's? Not looking for anything high class...sometimes I'll be getting home late at night. Is this area moderately safe late at night?

The apartment is on Van Horn St.

Also, I'll be commuting to 208 W.37th in Manhattan every day. What will the commute be like?

Any feedback is appreciated as always.

Keith
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 10:27 PM

75 posts, read 562,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodActorKeith View Post
Is this a decent section of Queens for a white guy in his late 20's? Not looking for anything high class...sometimes I'll be getting home late at night. Is this area moderately safe late at night?

Also, I'll be commuting to 208 W.37th in Manhattan every day. What will the commute be like?

Keith
That street's not bad. Is it closer to 59th or Grand? You'll be fine at night just be smart. Idk about the commute though.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:32 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
Elmhurst isn't a bad neighborhood, and the commute should be easy seeing as how Queens Boulevard is right there. Elmhurst is mostly Asian and Latino, but there's still a small white population near Maspeth.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:36 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,059,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodActorKeith View Post

Keith
Elmhurst is far from a high class neighborhood,but that street is fine. South Elmhurst is the nicest and safest part. You have Grand Ave right there,which runs into Queens Blvd. There is a firehouse just a couple of blocks away from Van Horn St.

I live on the north side of Queens Blvd and a little bit further west. I couldn't tell you about the commute since I haven't been on a bus or subway in ages.

Your nearest subway stops would be either on Grand Ave or on Woodhaven Blvd. On Queens Blvd you have the Q60 bus which goes into the city. The Q32 bus which originates from Jackson Heights stops near from where you work. Q32 runs south on 5th ave. The last stop is on W 32st/7th ave. But the subway is the fastest way to go.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:37 PM

75 posts, read 562,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Elmhurst isn't a bad neighborhood, and the commute should be easy seeing as how Queens Boulevard is right there. Elmhurst is mostly Asian and Latino, but there's still a small white population near Maspeth.
Yes. There are white people though mixed-in. Just stay away from Corona.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:39 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
I forgot to mention that Van Horn is in the better section of Elmhurst. The only sections of Elmhurst I wouldn't recemmend to you would be Roosevelt Avenue or near the Corona border [Junction Boulevard].

Old 05-03-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnyy View Post
Yes. There are white people though mixed-in. Just stay away from Corona.
Agreed,stay away from LeFrak City which borders the Long Island Expressway. The area on the other side of Woodhaven Blvd is Rego Park,which is a nice area.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:58 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
I forgot to mention that Van Horn is in the better section of Elmhurst. The only sections of Elmhurst I wouldn't recemmend to you would be Roosevelt Avenue or near the Corona border [Junction Boulevard].
Even if you were to live on either of those spots, you'd still be perfectly fine. Roosevelt Ave. is just pretty noisy at night, and I guess Junction looks a little more 'hood', but it's fine as well. Van Horn Street is a fine place to live, so you can just live there. Trust me, I'm white, and I've lived in the bordering neighborhood all my life, and have spend a lot of time in Elmhurst growing up.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
Even if you were to live on either of those spots, you'd still be perfectly fine. Roosevelt Ave. is just pretty noisy at night, and I guess Junction looks a little more 'hood', but it's fine as well. Van Horn Street is a fine place to live, so you can just live there. Trust me, I'm white, and I've lived in the bordering neighborhood all my life, and have spend a lot of time in Elmhurst growing up.

Yes,but the difference is he comes from a less densely populated area so there is more of an adjustment for him then for us long time residents. Where he comes from in Ohio there is like 0.01% asians living there. Which is the majority of what his neighbors will be.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:45 PM

295 posts, read 1,505,002 times
Default it's good

I grew up VERY close by. I still go there. The neighborhood is good. You can walk home at night. No problems.

The commute to your work will be under an hour with walking time, train waiting time, ect included...longer at night due to the train schedule & shorter if you are a fest walker or get lucky. (I'm assuming you live a bit up Van Horn).

Yes... it's a mixed neighborhood...prob a good mix of white, asian & hispanic. It's near lots of shops & restaurants. Should be a fun & easy place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City