Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 05:50 PM

1 posts, read 9,675 times

Advertisements

I am coming to NYC in May for 5 days with my wife. We have rented an apt in Hamilton Hgts but friends are telling DO NOT stay in Hamilton Hgts it is dangerous. Is that true. Your input is much appreciated! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 10:26 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,240,149 times
Unfortunately a very ugly crime recently happened in the Hamilton Heights area, which brought quite a bit of negative attention to the neighborhood. I lived there for quite some time and I never had any problems and I never felt in danger.

There are some things to be aware of...

Hamilton Place/Hamilton Terrace can both be shady, especially at night and they are the worst parts of the area. I always avoided walking around Hamilton Place, even during the day. As much as this area has gotten better over the years, this particular portion still needs to improve quite a bit. The ugly crime I mentioned, which was a rape, occured in a building on Hamilton Terrace. Simply avoid this area. Hamilton Place is very easy to avoid unless you specifically live there. There are very few businesses on Hamilton Place, and the few that are around are not worthwhile. Again unless you live there, you can easily avoid walking on that particular street.

140th and Broadway is not dangerous but there is drug activity. Generally in Uptown Manhattan (Harlem/Washington Heights), Broadway is always relatively safe because there is usually a train line somewhere nearby, foot traffic, businesses, and there usually are cops patrolling.

Expect to see local pharmacists hanging around near your building, and the occasional police busts. There is also still the occasional crack head walking around. There are also homeless people on Broadway. None of these things are dangerous, they are just things to be aware of. If you are prepared to see these type of things you won't be in shock when you do see them.

It is a gritty neighborhood, but it is getting better all the time. A lot of nice parkland nearby. The rent is still a lot cheaper than the rest of manhattan. Easy access to some important train lines (A,D, and 1). Convent Avenue near city college is very nice, especially now in the spring.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 04-22-2007 at 10:43 PM..

Old 04-23-2007, 08:40 PM

8 posts, read 53,177 times
Definitely not an area you want to stay in when visiting the city. Not safe and far away from everything. Find somewhere else to stay.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanamarie33 View Post
Definitely not an area you want to stay in when visiting the city. Not safe and far away from everything. Find somewhere else to stay.
What someone thinks is safe is subjective, but this area being far away? How so? The 1 and the A and D trains are right nearby. Those three train lines can get you pretty much anywhere in Manhattan. The A train will get you to 34th street in about 20 minutes (sometimes more like 15 minutes) from 145th street during the week.

BTW the 145th street st nick station where you can catch the A and D, has a police station right inside of it. It is actually one of the safer subway stations in the city.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 04-23-2007 at 10:24 PM..

Old 07-27-2007, 08:26 AM

73 posts, read 322,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
What someone thinks is safe is subjective, but this area being far away? How so? The 1 and the A and D trains are right nearby. Those three train lines can get you pretty much anywhere in Manhattan. The A train will get you to 34th street in about 20 minutes (sometimes more like 15 minutes) from 145th street during the week.

BTW the 145th street st nick station where you can catch the A and D, has a police station right inside of it. It is actually one of the safer subway stations in the city.
I totally agree with you Nooyowkur this area is not far away!!!!!!! I stay at my aunts house all the time and she live at 147th st between amsterdam & convent at it only take 20 min to get to 34th street

Old 07-27-2007, 10:08 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,672,216 times
If you do stay, try to make last day reservations at Copeland's (145 and St. Nicholas), which is closing Sunday!

Old 07-27-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
If you do stay, try to make last day reservations at Copeland's (145 and St. Nicholas), which is closing Sunday!
Wow, do you know if they are moving somewhere else? The takeout place is gonna remain open though right?

Old 07-27-2007, 03:27 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,798,528 times
That ain't even Harlem any more. Dominican city.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:45 PM

842 posts, read 4,308,831 times
Default Oh man, lots of stories

My friend lives on 145th and St. Nick-
The area is ok in the day but at night, you can hear gunshots. Drug trade is out there but theres alot of scamming going on too. One time, this black guy bumped into an asian kid in front of the deli as he was coming out. The black guy dropped his glasses and yelled "WTF MAN? THOSE WERE THE ONLY PAIR I GOT! I CANT SEE WITHOUT THEM! THEM ****S COST ME $200!" The asian kid got so scared he literally pulled out his wallet and handed him everything he had. Sad.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:51 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,798,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubBR View Post
My friend lives on 145th and St. Nick-
The area is ok in the day but at night, you can hear gunshots. Drug trade is out there but theres alot of scamming going on too. One time, this black guy bumped into an asian kid in front of the deli as he was coming out. The black guy dropped his glasses and yelled "WTF MAN? THOSE WERE THE ONLY PAIR I GOT! I CANT SEE WITHOUT THEM! THEM ****S COST ME $200!" The asian kid got so scared he literally pulled out his wallet and handed him everything he had. Sad.
Haha!

Oh man that is great. Hilarious!

Yes the drug trade is alive and well up in Harlem/WH. Lots of gang activity as well. What do you expect people, the neighborhoods are poor!

That area (Broadway) is really Dominican city though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: