Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 10:02 AM

195 posts, read 304,848 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! So I started a thread a while ago about my upcoming trip to NYC, well I'm back from the trip and all I can say is the city is ELECTRIC! (Aside from the fact that the stark decrease in humidity stimulated post-nasal drip). My reason for visiting was two-fold: to visit FIT's open house and get what sliver of a feeling for the city I could manage while there for four days.

I stayed on Park Slope (7th ave and 11th st) with someone I met through airbnb. While I initially had this area as a secondary choice because I'm a 25 yo single male and children everywhere wasn't something I was too keen on, but park slope has a very community feel to it and I never once felt unsafe even walking around at 1 am looking for somewhere to eat. Not to mention the BROWNSTONES they are all so beautiful, I think I've been tainted because I only want to rent a place in one. I also explored BH, Cobble Hill, and Carroll Gardens...all of which I like more than PS, but I'm unsure I could afford a 1 bdrm there. Of course, I looked around Chelsea, because it would be super convenient to school and not far from clothing stores I could work in. Unfortunately there were a few places I wanted to check out, but didn't have time: Prospect Lefferts Gardens, Fort Greene, and UWS. Anyone can tell me some info on these places regarding safety, rent, QOL...

The trains were easy enough to figure out thanks to the MTA trip planner web page and google maps. Actually I got lost once, when I was trying to find the E train on 32nd street I think it was, but the station was actually on 34th or 35th, thankfully a kind local was nice enough to walk me to corner of the street where the station was. Speaking of kindness, maybe it was because I was on,y there for a few days or because I lived in Atlanta for a while, but it didn't really seem like people were rude. I mean, not more than I would expect from a city. One thing that I did notice was that people in the city walk faster than in bk, which is fine by me because I have a naturally fast gate.

The only concerns I have is how do people manage to keep their phone batteries charged during the day, a problem I constantly ran into was having to take breaks to head home and charge my phone. Taking breaks wasn't so bad because it allowed me to go back and 'reset' if you will, but when I move clearly that won't really be an option unless I lived in the city (honestly the only reasons I want to live in the city is for the conveniences, short commute, and ability to see fashions just outside my door).

Oh, I may have a lead on a job at Barney's thanks to a super kind SA on Madison that gave me her card and email and told me to use her as a reference. And maybe an apartment as well if the person hasn't found a roommate by the time I move up there in May...

Also I had a few questions about subway etiquette: ok, so there was a time three women (one of which was large) entered the cart and there were no free seats...should I have given up my seat? In Atlanta, people generally do things like that although it's not mandated only for the elderly and handicapped.

I'm super excited about finally making my goals a reality!

NOTE: Please excuse the repulsively elated tone of this post...I'm still floating on cloud 9 that things will in fact work out for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 10:56 AM

1,557 posts, read 3,306,781 times
Your effusive tone in this post is refreshing. If you will be working in sales it is best to sit and rest on the train after work, your feet will be tired, get up and give your seat if the person is elderly or disabled, thats NYC train etiquette. Work hard, dont get involved in workplace gossip or hood drama and things will be great. Def walk up Broadway on the UWS and get a feel of that neighborhood, it is fascinating.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
Your effusive tone in this post is refreshing. If you will be working in sales it is best to sit and rest on the train after work, your feet will be tired, get up and give your seat if the person is elderly or disabled, thats NYC train etiquette. Work hard, dont get involved in workplace gossip or hood drama and things will be great. Def walk up Broadway on the UWS and get a feel of that neighborhood, it is fascinating.
Thank you! I know there are some cynics that may have felt uncomfortable reading something that was not dark or negative. My feet were tired just from the walking I did around the city, which was a good bit, I think the farthest I walked without stopping was from the garment district to soho. I'll definitely have to check that out when I make the move. I noticed there were a good number of trains (1, A, C) in that area for a quick commute to Chelsea and over the east side for work as well. Are rents in that area affordable (I'm talking <2k for a 1bdrm or large studio)?

Old 10-26-2013, 11:25 AM

900 posts, read 2,372,931 times
Welcome!

NYC is adventurous, especially Manhattan. You'll feel just like a real NY'er after your first mugging. Ha. J/k

I still get that feeling going to Manhattan like I did when I first moved here and experienced the same with everything falling in place almost effortlessly. Manhattan is still magical (although I haven't been duped into believing I should live in lower Manhattan).

So many things to do, people to meet, places to go. Enjoy! Only boring people stay in other parts of the country..

Old 10-26-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
Welcome!

NYC is adventurous, especially Manhattan. You'll feel just like a real NY'er after your first mugging. Ha. J/k

I still get that feeling going to Manhattan like I did when I first moved here and experienced the same with everything falling in place almost effortlessly. Manhattan is still magical (although I haven't been duped into believing I should live in lower Manhattan).

So many things to do, people to meet, places to go. Enjoy! Only boring people stay in other parts of the country..
Manhattan is indeed very adventurous, there was so much going on and I loved it! Everyone says it takes a mugging lol, I hope I don't get mugged though. I was sure to keep my wallet at the bottom of my tote under a bunch of other things and I held it close to me especially around crowds. Why do you feel people are duped into staying in lower manhattan lol?

Thank you for the kind words.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:53 AM

900 posts, read 2,372,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laryenhilllvr View Post
Manhattan is indeed very adventurous, there was so much going on and I loved it! Everyone says it takes a mugging lol, I hope I don't get mugged though. I was sure to keep my wallet at the bottom of my tote under a bunch of other things and I held it close to me especially around crowds. Why do you feel people are duped into staying in lower manhattan lol?

Thank you for the kind words.

It's just that Manhattan is so expensive to live. Yes it's convenient, it's location location and on and on but I think it's for the rich folks. I don't want to live with with five other people in one apartment, God bless you if you don't have to. Once people venture to other Borroughs they'll find other communities that are also inviting and quick to and from Manhattan.

Old 10-26-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
It's just that Manhattan is so expensive to live. Yes it's convenient, it's location location and on and on but I think it's for the rich folks. I don't want to live with with five other people in one apartment, God bless you if you don't have to. Once people venture to other Borroughs they'll find other communities that are also inviting and quick to and from Manhattan.
I find that to be very true as I look around nakedapartments.com that's why I feel bk is better, but if I find a 1 bdrm/ good studio in my budget I'll have such a hard time deciding. I even read somewhere around here that groceries are more expensive depending on the borough or even the neighborhood.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:46 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
Glad that your trip was so great. I'll just add that there's something scary about a person being so dependent on their phone - and add that we all managed to navigate the city just fine with paper maps before the internet even existed.

Of course, give up your seat. Why would you even ask? The worst that can happen is that the person will say "No, thanks."

Old 10-26-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Glad that your trip was so great. I'll just add that there's something scary about a person being so dependent on their phone - and add that we all managed to navigate the city just fine with paper maps before the internet even existed.

Of course, give up your seat. Why would you even ask? The worst that can happen is that the person will say "No, thanks."
I'm an inconsiderate b*stard! Next time I will though, I really actually felt bad, but my feet felt oooooohhhhhh so good as they rested.

I had to rely on my phone to get to the train stations and figure out which trains to take, but I know after moving there I'll have a better understanding of which trains go where. For example, I knew the F was the closest train to where I stayed, but only little more than that lol.

Old 10-26-2013, 03:22 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laryenhilllvr View Post
I'm an inconsiderate b*stard! Next time I will though, I really actually felt bad, but my feet felt oooooohhhhhh so good as they rested.

I had to rely on my phone to get to the train stations and figure out which trains to take, but I know after moving there I'll have a better understanding of which trains go where. For example, I knew the F was the closest train to where I stayed, but only little more than that lol.

No, you weren't an inconsiderate bastard. You just missed a chance to set a good example. The people who are really inconsiderate are the ones who let their children sit.

I'll give you a hint for future reference: You can do pretty well with a subway map, without a phone. As a matter of fact, the tourism office puts out a miniature verson that folds up into about 3"x2" which is easy to keep in your pocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City