Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 03:20 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times

Advertisements

I haven't taken the A train from Far Rock in a very long time. It's not for me any more. I would imagine it is fine for young guy like yourself during rush hour if you keep your wits about you. I had a family member who had been mugged there several times, car broken into dozens of times, until they finally stole it out of the parking lot near the station. It was not unexpected. It was an old car used for the station and not a great loss but this was quite a while ago.

The beach area for swimming in Far Rockaway is the 17th Street area. I used to go there years ago, but now I prefer going to the other side of the peninsula. That particular beach area has had quite few drownings because it looks deceptively calm. If you go in the water when the life guards are on duty and you follow the posted rules about when and where to go into the water, you will be perfectly safe. Do not however, leave any personal items on the sand other than your towel while you are in the water. Some Bayswater residents prefer joining one of the Beach Clubs in Atlantic Beach rather than go to a Far Rockaway Beach. With all the new housing in Arverne and Edgemere these days, there may be some people using the beach in the 30s. I don't know if they have lifeguards there. Before the new housing, no one used that beach and they were often closed off from the boardwalk; there were no lifeguards there for years. Maybe it has changed because of the new houses.

Living in Rockaway is not like living in any other part of the city. You have to experience it yourself and see it for yourself, to understand it. There are so many New York City residents who never heard of it, don't know really where it is, don't understand its unique lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 06:14 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanR87 View Post
Hey this is a good post...about the Mott Avenue train station and the surrounding area being safe at night, what can you say about the train station at Beach 25th?

Also...whats it like to spend a day at the beach either on beach 2nd street or all the way through where it is no longer considered Far Rockaway..Beach 32nd or something?
the train station at beach 25th is mostly safe. there are people that hang out in front of the stores by the train station but they dont bother anybody, during the week. friday and saturday nights its a little more rowdy around there, the guys that hang out there drink and make noise. so once again, if you're not used to living in the hood, these types of things will make you feel uncomfortable. and its very easy to get robbed walking home from beach 25th street train station because the only people in the street are concentrated by the train station and stores. but walk a block in either direction and nobody is outside, and some of the street lights are out. so its easy to get robbed. very lonely blocks surrounding beach 25th street train station. and they are all 1 and 2 family houses in this area, just that the streets arent heavily walked so hardly anybody's outside.

i dont get your question about the beach....if you've been to a beach before its the same like anything else....maybe can you be a little more specific about what u want to know about the beach?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-15-2009, 09:56 PM

30 posts, read 96,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post

The beach area for swimming in Far Rockaway is the 17th Street area.

Living in Rockaway is not like living in any other part of the city. You have to experience it yourself and see it for yourself, to understand it. There are so many New York City residents who never heard of it, don't know really where it is, don't understand its unique lifestyle.

By the area for swimming what do you mean? People drown everywhere else?

Yeah...I plan a trip in December...I'll be taking the A train and walking around too. The only part I ever went to was Beach 116 street when I was a kid.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
i dont get your question about the beach....if you've been to a beach before its the same like anything else....maybe can you be a little more specific about what u want to know about the beach?

I was just inquiring on the safety of the beach.cleanliness of that beach since many posters on this forum have implied that most of Far Rockaway is unsafe, and I imagine this neighborhoods beach ends at around beach 32nd but I dont know.
So I was just curious if the whole stretch is undesirable to lounge around for the day, or if its just in sections, like the whole Bayswater thing.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:06 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanR87 View Post
I was just inquiring on the safety of the beach.cleanliness of that beach since many posters on this forum have implied that most of Far Rockaway is unsafe, and I imagine this neighborhoods beach ends at around beach 32nd but I dont know.
So I was just curious if the whole stretch is undesirable to lounge around for the day, or if its just in sections, like the whole Bayswater thing.
no the beach is pretty safe in terms of crime, from beach 9th to beach 121st street....the only part of the beach i really find "unsafe" is at 110th street because there is a group home on the boardwalk, and the young guys hang out on the boardwalk, but otherwise, pretty safe.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-16-2009, 04:13 PM

I brought up the drowning incidents because every summer, there is at least one drowning in this area that makes the news. I thought you may have heard about it. It is not something to worry about. It usually happens because kids were fooling around and were in an area they shouldn't be or someone left their kids unattended.

I, personally, do not find the beach in Far Rockaway safe at all. As Seventh Floor suggested, if you feel comfortable in the hood, then you'll be fine. If not, this place is not for you. That's not to say that there are no families going to the beach at 17th Street, but it is a mix of different types. The beaches in terms of safety are better above 100th Street but even there, in the summer, you get day trippers who can be rowdy. Same problem at Riis Park. Between 100th-108th streets, you get mostly the locals. Then you get the day trippers at 116th Street. Then, the quieter locals at 120th Street and up. I would rather deal with the residents of the group home on 110th Street hanging out on the boardwalk than walking around on Mott Ave. or even Seagirt, but that's me. Of course, you could live in Far Rockaway and take the bus up. This is actually my favorite time of the year to visit the beach when I have it practically to myself. 116th is still the main shopping drag for Rockaway Park, Belle Harbor, Neponsit, etc. Enjoy your visit.

If you are really dead set on living in a beach front community. Check out Long Beach in Nassau County. Long Beach is what Rockaway should have become during the past 40 years. It is more expensive, of course. Tranportation via the LIRR is actually faster to Manhattan and much more comfortable than the A train. Of course, it does cost more, but you would have a lot less problems coming home late at night. When you visit Rockaway next month, drive over the Atlantic Beach bridge from Far Rockaway and check that part of Nassau County out. Parts of it are pricey and parts of it more moderate.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:18 PM

Thanks guys Happy Thanksgiving.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:26 PM

Default Update

I started this thread awhile ago inquiring about the Rockaway Peninsula as a whole in terms of my desire to live there.
Recently I took a trip, and came across some properties around Beach 87th street...a few blocks from the A-train (Beach 90th street) and a similar distance to a C-town on what looks like the main Avenue, or whatever.
One property in particular was right by the bay side, the corner being the Rockaway Freeway. I felt the area within a five block radius in any direction was mixed ethnicity wise but this does not bother me and I did venture into the area a few times, day and night. I did not feel uncomfortable.
Anyone care to advise one considering inhabiting this area? Maybe my experience was just one of those "off" days, maybe not

Thanks.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:17 PM

This is a better area than the areas you were posting about previously. The beach there is more usable than the areas in your previous posts as well. The main "avenue" is Rockaway Beach Blvd. That C-Town is so-so. You can also walk over to the other supermarket on Rockaway Beach Blvd. and 105th Street when you are in the mood. The train there is not the A train, but the Rockaway Park Shuttle (S) and you will need to transfer at Broad Channel. If you felt comfortable during your visits, you should be fine.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:35 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,876,121 times
Use caution walking through the Hammells Projects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City