Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2009, 12:08 AM

1 posts, read 5,290 times

Advertisements

I am moving to NYC for 6 months for an internship, and am coming with a sweet-tempered, surprisingly mellow 1 year old 40-pound dog. I'm not asking for much- I can walk her just fine and am willing to walk far to get her to a dog park- I just need a little place for her to do her business outside. Where might one find a place like that- in other words, in what neighborhood would a place like that most likely be? I am willing to have a longer commute to Manhattan, and my only requirements are that it is safe and reasonably priced (studio or 1 bd for 1500/mo or less). Please let me know what you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 08:38 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
I see people with dogs everywere. And I mean EVERYWERE. Usually I just see them do their thing on the side walk and then the owner picks up after it. I can't think of a place were you don't have to clean up for your dog. That might be kinda gross for you with a big dog.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:39 AM

922 posts, read 3,861,494 times
If you are asking about finding a place with a patch of grass in the backyard, aside from living in the suburbs, you will generally need to live way out on the edges of the boroughs in a 2-3 family home. Residential open space is precious everywhere in NYC, and when it exists, it is often set up for human recreation with a patio or garden anyway. Having a traditional "backyard" is very rare in the city, even more so for a renter. Therefore, if you are going to live in the city, expect to take your dog on 3-5 walks per day.

That being said, your dog will quickly get used to going on the pavement. Of course you will always pick it up, wont you? As for the "liquid" issues, it's polite to try to get the dog to go as close to the curb as possible, or for a male dog to stay away from private property like bikes or building walls.

As for dog runs, almost every major city park in Manhattan has one and there are lots more of them in the outer boroughs. These are great places to take your dog for some running and playing, especially if the dog enjoys playing with other dogs. They are generally clean and well-maintained by groups of volunteers. Side benefit - it's also a great way for you to meet people.

Here is a list of all of the dog rules and runs in the city parks (look for the word "run" within each park listing to indicate if there is a run)
Dog Runs : New York City Department of Parks & Recreation

Last edited by UpstaterInBklyn; 08-15-2009 at 12:33 PM..

Old 08-16-2009, 07:52 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,883 times
The only problem would likely be if the landlord won't allow you to have a dog. Other than that, NYC is filled with parks, and as others here said, you just have to pick up the poop and steer clear of anyone with a mean looking pit bull or Rottweiller (this probably only applies to the "rougher" areas of the city, like some sections of Brooklyn/the Bronx).

Old 08-18-2009, 01:42 AM

197 posts, read 895,245 times
Staten Island is a great place for a dog. Lots of homes with front and backyards, Lots of park land so there are plenty of places to walk your dog. Now it can take awhile to get to Manhattan but you said that is not an issue. Also parts of Queens especially eastern Queens also has yards and parks so it would be easier to have a large dog there. I know in a lot of apartments landlords will not allow dogs. In Staten Island you can find some single family homes with backyards for rent in the 1500-2500 a month range.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:38 AM

295 posts, read 1,505,465 times
You can walk your dog anywhere as previously said. You have to pick up dog poop everywhere.

The problem, IMO, will be finding a place to rent for only 6 months with a huge dog.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:45 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
40 pounds is NOT a huge dog. It's a medium sized dog. You'll pay more for rent with a dog, however!

Old 08-23-2009, 08:16 AM

56 posts, read 155,756 times
Landlords in NYC never allowed dogs before when my daugther was 1-6 years 1998-2004 now they allow it you just have to pay rent with the dog as previously said but if it an agressive dog they will not allow it. Though there is lots of dogs walking with their owners. If your thinking of living in Manhattan, near the George Washgton (cnt spell) there is a nice big park I have seen lots of people walk their dogs in that park the only thing you have to do is pick up the poop but other than that there is lots of parks for dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City