Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 07:24 PM

218 posts, read 741,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
My friend did that... just up and moved to LA. She happened to be really uber sociable, and crazy, and outgoing, and she ended up on couches until she squeezed her way into an apartment and some free school. Then again, she was from the northeast, a blackbelt, fluent in English Korean and Spanish, and very street smart.

New York is much less welcoming and much less friendly. I think she has a frame of mind that people are gonna be just as friendly as back home. Then again, I'm a pessimist, but she'll learn her lesson. Poor girl... I mean woman.
I don't know what your experiences have been with NY'ers, but I can tell you from MY actual experience... NY'ers were WAY more friendly and helpful to me, than ANYONE in Los Angeles ever has been.

I find it funny that a lot of people putting down NYC as a potential place to live, don't have their location listed. So either they've never actually lived there, or they do live there, and are for whatever reason, frustrated, or don't like where they live.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:16 PM

82 posts, read 305,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceAdama View Post
My family does not support me because my entire family followed my father here to Los Angeles, when he himself moved here. For some twisted reason, they love California, and don't want to leave. My father hates NYC, and does not ever want to go there, so he doesn't agree with my choice to move there. That is why he does not support me.

NYC is so different from LA, job-market-wise, because of the type of place it is. There are more opportunities there, than in LA. LA is for people like lawyers, doctors, businessmen, and rich people. There are NO opportunities to work on your own here. Everything here is far away, so you have to commute by car everywhere. But NYC because of its nature and turnover, has more choices. If you think someone from NYC will find anything in LA in regards to work, LOL... good luck. And try finding even a craphole closet of an apartment here, for less than $900 a month... it won't happen, unless you want to live in a crackhouse or meth lab.

What makes you think you can get any job I can, before I do? How do you know what options I have considered, or what ideas I myself have thought of? That remark indicates to me that you're thinking along the lines of what is offered to you... not what you yourself can offer. Perhaps I am wrong... so please enlighten me... what options would you have, that I would not?

There are other places I could move to, but none of them are where I want to live. I WANT to live in NYC. I am telling the truth, when I say I'd rather be homeless there, than live in LA. It may sound stupid, but it is the truth of how I feel. I am NOT some doe-eyed kid, wet behind the ears, coming to NYC, starry-eyed, and full of fanciful dreams. I have been there before, I have a lot of street smarts and common sense, and I am more than fully aware that at first, things will be more than incredibly rough. The city may indeed chew me up, and spit me out. But before it does, I'm gonna dig my nails in as hard as I can, and fight to establish myself. I'm a lot smarter than people think, and I KNOW I can do this... if I knew for sure I would fail, I would not even try.

well best of luck to you. as a relatively new resident of the city myself I hope you suceed. I'm not sure how educated or experienced you are professionally, but to give you an idea about just how bad it is here right now i will give you a little info about my own situation.

I am nearly the same age as you are, I came here over a year ago to attend grad school. Just this summer i finished my masters degree at a major local school and am lucky enough to have had a job for the past several months. Mind you, someone with my experience and advanced education a few years ago would be earning $70-80K, but i am presently earning about a third of that at a job that is not quite on par with my skills or intelligence. And this is the case for MANY of my highly educated and experienced friends and coworkers!

My current living conditions are cheap and am currently subleting rather than getting a real apt due to the cost and not wanting a long-term commitment due to lack of long term economic certainty. and again, THIS IS TRUE FOR MANY VERY SMART EDUCATED PEOPLE HERE.

People in this town, our age, with masters degrees who should be making nearly six figures and paying mortgages are instead making 30K and subleting or living in tiny studios.

You had better be prepared for a competitive environment full of overqualified people for any job you go for.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:45 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I just want to know View Post
Mod cut: lanugageMy cousin has no job, no money, and no place to live. She decided to buy a one way ticket to NYC. She has no idea what she's going to do once she arrives. I told her she'd end up sleeping on a bench and hungry.

I think she is nuts! Would you do it?
Hell no. In this economy, where jobs are at a premium? NYC isn't known for being a hippie commune. I'd advise against moving anywhere when you don't have a job and money.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:42 PM

218 posts, read 741,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinewebsearcher View Post
well best of luck to you. as a relatively new resident of the city myself I hope you suceed. I'm not sure how educated or experienced you are professionally, but to give you an idea about just how bad it is here right now i will give you a little info about my own situation.

I am nearly the same age as you are, I came here over a year ago to attend grad school. Just this summer i finished my masters degree at a major local school and am lucky enough to have had a job for the past several months. Mind you, someone with my experience and advanced education a few years ago would be earning $70-80K, but i am presently earning about a third of that at a job that is not quite on par with my skills or intelligence. And this is the case for MANY of my highly educated and experienced friends and coworkers!

My current living conditions are cheap and am currently subleting rather than getting a real apt due to the cost and not wanting a long-term commitment due to lack of long term economic certainty. and again, THIS IS TRUE FOR MANY VERY SMART EDUCATED PEOPLE HERE.

People in this town, our age, with masters degrees who should be making nearly six figures and paying mortgages are instead making 30K and subleting or living in tiny studios.

You had better be prepared for a competitive environment full of overqualified people for any job you go for.
Thank you for the kind well-wishes. I do not have any degrees, nor am I in what one would call "skilled labor". So, while every job market is competitive, I am not competing against people for jobs that require master's degrees, or anything of the sort. I am not picky... I will do any and as many jobs as I need to do, to survive. I learn fast, and work hard, as well as honest. I am always early, and give my best effort. I am not afraid of hard work.

I have stated repeatedly, that at first, I will likely be living hostel to hostel. I am under NO illusions that I will magically find a room to rent, or a roommate. I am also under no illusion that any room or apartment I do manage to find, will be of very high standard. But as long as I have a roof and a bed, my needs are being met, because I am living where I'm happy living. Wanna make and save a bit of money? How about considering letting me split the rent with you? You see, even though I'm moving in January, I'm putting the word out now, to try and secure work and place as early ahead as possible. That's only wise. It helps me, and it helps a potential roommate... I mean, would you rent a room to someone who just showed up at your door, and said, "Hey, I just moved into the city... want to rent to me?" Of course you would not, because you don't know the person well enough. But if that person approaches you early on, and makes an inquiry, it gives me and you the time to communicate, and develop a repor and mutual trust, prior. I think that is both wise and important. I know enough to hit the ground running, and not begin with a cold start.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:11 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Quote:
I mean, would you rent a room to someone who just showed up at your door, and said, "Hey, I just moved into the city... want to rent to me?" Of course you would not, because you don't know the person well enough. But if that person approaches you early on, and makes an inquiry, it gives me and you the time to communicate, and develop a repor and mutual trust, prior. I think that is both wise and important. I know enough to hit the ground running, and not begin with a cold start.

Isn't that the whole point of roommates.com and the sublet section of craigslist? A friend of mine found his roommate that way and they get along great and are turning into good friends...People with rooms looking for roommates...

Old 09-22-2009, 05:36 AM

346 posts, read 1,256,934 times
Quote:
I don't know what your experiences have been with NY'ers, but I can tell you from MY actual experience... NY'ers were WAY more friendly and helpful to me, than ANYONE in Los Angeles ever has been.

I find it funny that a lot of people putting down NYC as a potential place to live, don't have their location listed. So either they've never actually lived there, or they do live there, and are for whatever reason, frustrated, or don't like where they live.
That are we haven't bothered to put that information up on our accounts. Only thing I have up is my zip code.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:39 AM

1,160 posts, read 2,960,897 times
Wow this is a disaster in the making. New York is the greatest place and I love it to death, but it's not the easiest place to make it in. Good luck to all these people fleeing to New York.

Quote:
A lot of people think this up-and-go approach to moving to NYC is insane, and I can see their point. I'm not sure why your friend is doing it, but in my case, I've been to NYC three times, have already lived over a month there, and want to go back for good, because I hate California so very much.
FYI - Visiting NYC three times and spending just over a month there is WAY different than actually living in NYC. NYC is a completely different place when you live there. It's naive to think you know the city and know you'll be happy there just because you visited three times and spent a month or so there. New York is too complex to get to know in just a couple months. And this is coming from someone who spent 22 years in NYC.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:56 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,789 times
She might as well try it. It sounds like she has enough family to send bus fare back. In 30 years she's managed to scrape together $200 and BUS fare - what's she clinging to?

Old 09-22-2009, 11:04 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
No offense, but without a degree of any sort, it's going to be extremely hard to make it for either of you. You're already competing against recently laid off people who have degrees with like 10+ years experience working in a white collar job.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:16 AM

105 posts, read 250,260 times
Well, now she's all PO'd at us for trying to talk her out of it. She said we didn't have any faith in her and we were all jealous. I don't know what else to tell her. At least find a job first. But, hey, what do I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City