Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 10:10 PM

6 posts, read 23,727 times

Advertisements

Hey people,

I'm potentially looking to live in an apartment on Lincoln Place, between Classon & Franklin-- like I said in the thread title. I guess this is sort of between the Prospect Heights and Crown Heights neighborhoods. I've seen the place, and it looks good. I also went to a bar about a year ago which was about a block away. Things seemed fine. I'm just wondering what the 2009 reputation (safety wise) is of this neighborhood. I'll just go out and say that I'm a young white guy-- because I guess that's relevant. Like I said, I have been in this area at night, and I feel confident that things will go well, but please tell me what you think about this area in 2009, if you are familiar with this specific block and the surrounding blocks. Thanks--
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 10:14 PM

I should also add that I felt great about this, but I stumbled upon some threads here that made me nervous. Should I just go with my gut feeling from the (limited) time I've spent in the area? Were people exaggerating in those threads, or are they outdated at this point?

Old 09-28-2009, 03:57 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,992 times
My family used to live on Sterling Place between Classon and Washington. That was almost 40 years ago. I would spend weekends with my Aunt who was still there during the Mid-70s. I will say this. The neighborhood has changed significantly in the last 30 years. It has gotten much development and is more diverse.

Pro....
1. Changed neighborhood. Went through bad times in 80s, like many other BK hoods (crack), but much better now.
2. Washington and Vanderbilt Avs (two and three blocks away) have many nice shops and bars, etc!
3. Brooklyn Museum!

Con....
1. A bit pricey, now!
2. Great parade on Labor Day at Eastern Parkway (two blocks south), but a lot of traffic.
3. A couple of empty condos on Sterling (recession), but that's every hood.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:30 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
lincoln place betw franklin and classon is a drug block. during the daytime its probably ok, but I myself wouldnt feel comfortable walking around there late at night. especially in the summer. i have a friend that lives on eastern pkwy betw franklin and classon so i know the area well.

on the plus side, the liquor store on washington ave is probably the best in brooklyn. also you have the bklyn museum which is a obvious plus, john's on franklin and president makes the meanest chicken wings in a chinese restaurant, (its probably the most ghetto looking chinese restaurant in brooklyn too) and sal's on franklin ave and eastern pkwy who makes the wickedest BLT.

and on labor day weekend expect chaos in the neighborhood...but its brooklyn after all....if you're used to living in areas like this you will be just fine. if not it will be a culture shock.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-28-2009, 05:40 PM

What I'm wondering though is, regardless of whether or not it's a culture shock, is something bad likely to happen to me? Or what? Like I said, I have walked in the area at night, but I just kind of cruised through on the way somewhere. I didn't think too hard about what was specifically going on. So, when you say "it's a drug block," can you explain what would actually be going on in such a block?

Old 09-28-2009, 06:19 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn-apt-seeker View Post
What I'm wondering though is, regardless of whether or not it's a culture shock, is something bad likely to happen to me? Or what? Like I said, I have walked in the area at night, but I just kind of cruised through on the way somewhere. I didn't think too hard about what was specifically going on. So, when you say "it's a drug block," can you explain what would actually be going on in such a block?
umm the selling of drugs....marijuana to be specific

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-28-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
umm the selling of drugs....marijuana to be specific
Thanks for the information; I really do appreciate it.

If you could classify the block "activity" as more annoying or truly dangerous, that would help me understand what it would be like to live there. My feeling is that I would be OK at the very least just passing through to/from the apartment-- but am I wrong about this?

All responses appreciated.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:06 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
I don't personally know the block, but why live on a block where drugs are being dealt when you don't have to? For me, it wouldn't be the actual drug dealing that would bother me, but all the associated problems that go hand in hand with drug dealing in neighborhoods/buildings.

Drug Raid on Lincoln and Washington Last Night

Old 09-28-2009, 09:00 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,929,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I don't personally know the block, but why live on a block where drugs are being dealt when you don't have to? For me, it wouldn't be the actual drug dealing that would bother me, but all the associated problems that go hand in hand with drug dealing in neighborhoods/buildings.

Drug Raid on Lincoln and Washington Last Night
Your posting is from 2007, How about the recent shooting on St. Johns which is about a block away. I have family on Lincoln.. and we have to driver her home & walk her up stairs when we take her home. Not a great choice if its me.

Brooklyn block party ends in twin killing

Wait until you see the big police watch towers that they put up at night! They have opened up so many bars & night clubs in the area which is a cause of drunken violence.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:10 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
When you say "is something bad likely to happen to me," you have to remember that everything is relative. I live in Midwood, where you wouldn't say that something bad was likely to happen. Yet two weeks ago I got hit by a car crossing the street to my building. (The hit-and-run bastard never slowed down; he wouldn't be driving around now if I had the chance to get his plates!) By some medium sized miracle, I wasn't injured. Hurt, but not injured.

What I'm getting at is, something "bad" could happen in any neighborhood. What you've got to do is decide if you're comfortable in the area. If you are, then by all means go for that apartment!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City