Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: queens or brooklyn?
queens 29 45.31%
brooklyn 27 42.19%
neither! 8 12.50%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 10:09 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,500,653 times

Advertisements

Broooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooklyn. Some parts are wonderful, beautiful and charasmatic. Other parts are dumps.

Southern Brooklyn is suburban, sort of. But it takes about an hour to get into Manhattan. That can be a real issue, especially if you take the subway during rush hours. You're packed like sardines, the train is physically hot, and there are nuts on the train who may try to feel you up. And the train often gets stuck.

But if you are willing to handle that, or if you travel to and from work during off-peak times, or if you work in Brooklyn or Queens, then southern Brookyn has some nice things to offer. There is the water, the beaches, Rockaway (Queens) and the open ocean across the Marine Parkway Bridge. There is Jamaica Bay. There are some interesting neighborhoods such as Gerritsen Beach, Manhattan Beach, Brighton Beach. There are some strongly ethnic neighborhoods. There is also a lot of ethnic and religious diversity. The Arab delis serve wonderful coffee to Jewish customers. There are lots of Jews, Christians and Muslims. There is the amusement park section of Coney Island. A dump, but historic and campy. And it is on the open ocean, but the ocean there doesn't have the big waves of Rockaway. There is diversity of architecture in Midwood, Prospect Heights, Ditmas Park.

Unfortunately, lots of the southern coastal areas of Brooklyn are built on landfill. If there were an earthquake, a lot of the land would probably liquify.

Coney Island Creek is gross. I pass there several times a week. I see sunken boats with their tops sticking out. The water could be lovely if it were cleaned up but right now it is disgusting. I think they are actually working on cleaning it up. Further north in Brooklyn is the Gawanus Canal. Also disgusting, but on the way to being non-disgusting. People actually kayak on it. And some fish actually swim in it.

The pace of life is slower than in Manhattan or Brooklyn Heights, which is both a plus and a minus. I have lived in Manhattan. I much prefer to listen to quiet or birds in southern Brooklyn than to heavy traffic in Manhattan.

Queens has some interesting and pretty areas. I really don't know Queens well, so I will not say much more. Parts of Forest Hills are gorgeous. The ethnic diversity in Queens is more breathtaking than that in Brooklyn, if ou can believe it. I believe that Queens is the most ethnically diverse county in the country.

The Bronx? Riverdale is beautiful, and there are some other areas of the Bronx that are nice. City Island is nice. But much of the Bronx is really ugly.

Staten Island is pretty in spots, but it is getting built up. I used to work there, and I found the people much more provincial than in Brooklyn. Also, you need to spend money to get off the island. It can be very insular.

But, in my opinion, I think Brooooooooklyn is the best borough to live in. It has its own charisma. But I am prejudiced, because I grew up there.

I'm still trying to get up the nerve to move to Vermont.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 07:08 PM

259 posts, read 939,229 times
Try the Brooklyn-Queens Boarder Ridgewood-Bushwyck! Regentrifing area Reasonable commute on the LL train! Also Glendale-Maspeth fresh pond road or metropolitan ave. Commute on the M train.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,478 times
Yes what should i do i really need to choose Brooklyn or Queens. Me and my husband and child is planning on moving from Philly to NY.

We're into partying and we want to find a good school for our daughter (who's 3), we're also into the whole Jamaican culture. Still don't know what do to give us ur opinion. We like family oriented scenery, house or apartment ,2bedroom and rent thats not astounding. $1000-$1500.
And yes we own a car.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:36 PM

43,668 posts, read 44,406,521 times
I suggest you also check out Rego Park & Forest Hills in Queens.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:51 PM

11 posts, read 36,772 times
Anything along Queens Blvd, where the subway runs is a good option, the neighborhoods all along it are decent....from Queensboro Plaza all the way to to Briarwood.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:24 PM

169 posts, read 489,963 times
I was born and raised in Astoria...so I am partial...besides, Brooklyn is full of people trying too hard to be hip....Queens is blue collar....everyday people.....although I hear Astoria is quite "hip" nowadays, too

That being said, if you pick up local papers....i.e. Irish Echo....Ridgewood Times...Astoria Gazette.....and these papers come out on Thursdays, I believe...you will have no problem finding an apartment..albeit a studio...in a private house...maybe a basement....for around your price range

I never was into the drama that having roommmates might incite

Old 02-02-2010, 06:40 PM

104 posts, read 380,555 times
I was born and raised in Queens (Jamaica), moved to Brooklyn when I was 23 and never looked back. I find that Brooklyn has more culture, more activites, you dont need a car as the transit it throughout is pretty sufficient (and hardly any 2 fare zones like Queens). I have lived in several areas of BKlyn, I am currently living in Downtown, Clinton Hills to be specific. I own my Co-Op here and I love the area. I may be moving to Long Island soon, but I will always return to Bklyn.

Go Bklyn!!

Old 02-03-2010, 08:32 AM

176 posts, read 730,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy13 View Post
Yes what should i do i really need to choose Brooklyn or Queens. Me and my husband and child is planning on moving from Philly to NY.

We're into partying and we want to find a good school for our daughter (who's 3), we're also into the whole Jamaican culture. Still don't know what do to give us ur opinion. We like family oriented scenery, house or apartment ,2bedroom and rent thats not astounding. $1000-$1500.
And yes we own a car.
You can live nice and comfortable in Canarsie Brooklyn, tons of parks, you have the peir and Alot of West Indians lives here. I own a two family home in Canarsie and am currently charging my tenant 1300 for two bedroom and these are big bed rooms newly remodeled. It is close to highway and there is a subway not too far but it is time consuming getting to city about 1 hour.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:09 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,541,261 times
queens

Old 05-19-2010, 10:21 AM

4 posts, read 29,610 times
Anyone know how the area around 48th and broadway is in Queens? Is it possible to have a car there?

I'll be moving from philly and my new employer needs me up there in 2-3 weeks..need to find a place with a quick commute to midtown east....fast

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: