Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 02:08 PM

186 posts, read 570,302 times

Advertisements

I'm contemplating staying in East Rutherford NJ near the Meadowland Sports complex. Is this a good idea for traveling into the city? Is there a train that I can take from here? Cost?

Also, what if I wanted to get to a beach, is there such a place right near NYC that is nice?

Forgive me of my ignorance but I'm not familiar with the area. Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 02:55 PM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Check the NJ Transit website for trains/buses to NYC:
New Jersey Transit - Home

Old 10-18-2009, 08:07 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Although Coney Island is more famous, Rockaway Beach is actually one of the finest beaches on the entire eastern seaboard! (You can take the A train directly to the Rockaways--that's part of Queens--from Port Authority Bus Terminal. Get on a downtown train; just make sure the signs say "Far Rockaway" rather than "Lefferts Boulevard." There are two branches of the A line, and you need the former rather than the latter to get you there).

Old 10-18-2009, 05:40 PM

Thanks for your help. I've not heard of Rockaway beach before, will definitely have to check it out.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:19 PM

162 posts, read 602,094 times
To get to the city by train you can take New Jersey Transit's Bergen County Line from Rutherford to New York Penn Station (via a quick transfer at Secaucus Junction) or Hoboken (then transferring to the PATH train or NY Waterway) for what should be no more than $10 one way.

To get to the city by bus you can take New Jersey Transit's 163, 164 or 190 buses to the Port Authority Bus Terminal depending where you are in Rutherford, or on weekdays you can drive to the nearby Vince Lombardi Park & Ride and take New Jersey Transit's 167 or 321 buses to the Port Authority Bus Terminal for what should be no more than $8.

As for nice beaches you have the Jersey Shore, Brighton Beach, Manhattan Beach, Long Beach, Rockaway Beach, and Jones Beach within two hours from Rutherford.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:51 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,297,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tscrilla View Post
I'm contemplating staying in East Rutherford NJ near the Meadowland Sports complex. Is this a good idea for traveling into the city? Is there a train that I can take from here? Cost?

Also, what if I wanted to get to a beach, is there such a place right near NYC that is nice?

Forgive me of my ignorance but I'm not familiar with the area. Thanks in advance
You want to take the train to the beach? I would recommend staying in Jersey. Taking a commuter train into Penn and then the subway to the Rockaways is a very long and tedious trip. The Rockaways are great if you're already in Queens.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:27 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,527,415 times
The closest nice beach to Rutherford is Sandy Hook in NJ but I'm not sure about public transportation. I suspect there will be a bus out of Port Authority.

There is also a NJ Transit shore train line out of Penn Station that will take you to Red Bank and points south, all the way down to Bay Head (which is a really nice town, and *beautiful* beach not far from train).

I think the Long Island Railroad out of Penn Station will take you to notable LI beaches like the Hamptons. Don't know how far stations are from beach.

And yes, you can always hop the subway to get to beaches in Queens.

You have many beach options.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:47 PM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
The closest nice beach to Rutherford is Sandy Hook in NJ but I'm not sure about public transportation. I suspect there will be a bus out of Port Authority.

There is also a NJ Transit shore train line out of Penn Station that will take you to Red Bank and points south, all the way down to Bay Head (which is a really nice town, and *beautiful* beach not far from train).

I think the Long Island Railroad out of Penn Station will take you to notable LI beaches like the Hamptons. Don't know how far stations are from beach.

And yes, you can always hop the subway to get to beaches in Queens.

You have many beach options.
To Sandy Hook, NJ there are also ferries. See Fares and Schedules,SeaStreak .

Old 10-19-2009, 07:41 PM

Love this forum, you guys are great. I will have a car but I do want to use public transportation especially when going to the city.

BTW, this will be my first NYC trip. Spent A LOT of time in Philly but never ventured up to NYC, not sure why. Guess it seemed kind of intimidating due to the sheer size and that it might be overwhelming to find parking and figure out which train to get one, etc, etc. But heck, I've always wanted to go and now I'm going to do it. Again, thanks for your knowledge...much appreciated.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:51 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
Is there a reason you want to stay near Giants stadium? If you are planning to go both to NYC and to a beach in Jersey, you might consider parking in Jersey (near the ferry) and taking the ferry to Manhattan, then the bus out to the stadium (if that's a place you want/need to be).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City