Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 06:08 AM

791 posts, read 1,433,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
You can also prepare "slow" meals on a weekend that make tasty leftovers that you can freeze and microwave later in the week, when you are tempted to just order takeout because it's quicker and easier than cooking after a long day at work. Lasagna, Chili and Roast Beef are good examples.
I'll cook up a big pan of baked ziti and freeze it up - it makes 10 tasty lunches. I don't skimp on the quality of the ingredients.

And, I roll my own cigarettes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 07:48 AM

203 posts, read 664,902 times
Quote:
It can be any food. I'm a young guy and I recently learned that cooking isn't as complicated as people make it. If u get a recipe and instructions, get the right ingredients, after a couple attempts u would have it down perfect.
I completely agree...I started cooking after I got married. I'm not the best cook but you follow the recipe and instructions and its okay...still learning.
Definitely save money cooking at home and bringing leftovers for lunch at work.
-make your own coffee
-downgrade your cable tv package...plenty to watch online and regular channels
-buy generic brands at the supermarket...most times they are the same, try it out and if you don't like it switch back.

Other than that...I just signed up for the flex spending account at work...always thought it would be a hassle but the calculator showed significant savings...also signed up for the transit voucher thing. But I guess not all jobs have these benefits...if you do, sign up.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:28 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
With the economy like it is, we can all use some tips to save a little money.

I called Time Warner Cable company and asked if they had a better deal for the same things we were getting/no changes in services. They called a week later and said we qualified for a reduction in our cable bill by $40 a month going forward plus cut $40 off my current bill. It took 5 minutes and will save me $480 over the next year.
I called Time Warner and was told that if I could get a better deal elsewhere I should so.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:47 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Being a girl I odviously use more toilet paper than a guy but I realized I was going through a TON. I made a huge effort to use less and it really saves money on something I was using wastfuly.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:10 AM

15,637 posts, read 10,390,278 times
Write Warner Cable an email, Chava61. I just got the reduction on my bill a couple of weeks ago so if they did it for me they must do it for other customers.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:40 AM

403 posts, read 1,394,474 times
No cabs. Shop at Trader Joe's on 14th st and cook at home during the week. Bring my lunch to work. All of this is like 1K a month minimum savings. You know how out of control spending can get in the city if you're not making an effort. You'll be broke and have nothing to show for it. ;-)

Old 12-04-2009, 11:42 AM

295 posts, read 1,505,465 times
Easy ways to save money without ruining lifestyle:

Home "cooking"

1. Make coffee at home in the AM instead of buying it on the way to work (hello an easy $10 a week).
2. Make sandwiches for work lunch.

Food shopping:

1. Always buy generic
2. Eat whatever vegetables & fruits are in season.
3. Eat frozen foods. Brussel sprouts, corn, ect are even almost better when once frosty.
4. Get to know a few grocery stores & what is cheapest at each.
5. Only buy what you NEED.

Entertainment:

1. Read news online instead of on paper.
2. Buy beer/wine from a grocery store & have friends over instead of going to a bar.
3. Visit people at their homes (and have them come over).
4. Eat out: but use coupons (you'd be surprised at how easy these are to come by).
5. Go to the park. Picnic.
6. Take train to a new neighborhood, & explore.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:49 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Write Warner Cable an email, Chava61. I just got the reduction on my bill a couple of weeks ago so if they did it for me they must do it for other customers.
I mentioned that to the customer rep. that I know that they give such deals to customers and his answer was that he couldn't help me.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:29 PM

18 posts, read 83,585 times
I take fewer gypsy cabs to work than I used to.

Old 12-05-2009, 02:51 PM

38 posts, read 342,951 times
I called t-mobile a few months ago to see if i could lower my plan and they gave me a special "loyalty" plan that is not advertized. saved $30 a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City