Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 09:37 AM

155 posts, read 446,121 times

Advertisements

I have a lot of free time this week, so I'm thinking about exploring some different neighborhoods. I have a general idea of where I need to go, but maybe someone in the know could give me the low down on what's the best subway stop to get off at for these neighborhoods, and maybe a rough outline of some streets that will give me the best feel for the area. These are just some places I'm considering checking out, will probably narrow down but any info will be appreciated. I'd obviously rather not be walking around in a really dangerous area, but I don't mind a little grit for a more genuine taste. Right now I am located in Carroll Gardens on the F/G trains.

Sheepshead Bay
Dyker Heights
Bensonhurst
Bay Ridge
Greenpoint
Williamsburg
Bushwick
DUMBO
The Rockaways
Jackson Heights
Flushing
Kew Gardens
Harlem
Washington Heights
Inwood
Pelham Bay
Grand Concourse

I'm also looking for suggestions on good Bronx neighborhoods to check out--I am sadly not too familiar with the borough. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by SonicYouth; 12-01-2009 at 09:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 12:14 PM

43,767 posts, read 44,538,330 times
You can get to Jackson Heights (Roosevelt Avenue stop) & Kew Gardens on the F train (Union Turnpike stop).
You can get to Greenpoint & Williamsburg on the G train.
You can get to Sheepshead Bay on the Q (or B) train (Sheepshead Bay stop).
You can get to Washington Heights on the A train (175th Street stop).
You can get to Flushing on the 7 train (last stop - Main Street).

Old 12-02-2009, 07:36 AM

922 posts, read 3,864,193 times
Sheepshead Bay: To get there, take the Q or B train to the Sheepshead Bay station. The main attraction of the neighborhood is the Emmons Ave. Waterfront. Walk down Sheepshead Bay Road past Voorhies and under the Belt Parkway to Emmons Ave. Here, you can take a walk along the bay, visit one of the many restaurants, or cross the footbridge over the bay to check out Manhattan Beach, which is a neighborhood filled with nice homes and some lavish mansions. Most of the boats moored in the bay are fishing charters that provide one-day and half-day trips. If you want to get a sense of the housing stock and general lifestyle of the area, head up Nostrand or Ocean Ave. to Voorhees or Avenue Z, then take a left to head back towards the subway station. You'll see mostly attached single-family homes and 6-story co-op buildings. The neighborhood has a large Russian and Ukrainian population, so you'll probably hear a lot of conversations around you happening in Russian.

Some of the well-known eating establishments frequented by the locals include Randazzo's Clam Bar for seafood (look for the big neon Lobster) and the Roll-n-Roaster for roast beef sandwiches (corner of Nostrand and Emmons). Clemente's Crab House is also well-regarded, but it is hard to get there without a car because it is located on the other side of the Belt Parkway on Plumb Beach Channel.

Last edited by UpstaterInBklyn; 12-02-2009 at 07:49 AM..

Old 12-02-2009, 11:11 AM

650 posts, read 2,520,153 times
Dyker is a great area but not well serviced by trains. Its between bay ridge and bensonhurst, I think the D line is semi walking distance. I remember 13th Ave in the 70s and 80s being a great retail strip.

Bensonhurst - overall a good area. I suggest taking D to Bay Parkway and walk along 86th St as the
avenue blocks go down, over to 18th Ave where the N is (another busy hub for the area).

Bay Ridge -any of the last stops on the R will get you there. Great area again. I prefer to get off Bay Ridge Ave, go to 3rd Ave and walk south. Great retail strip. The general area and housing stock going further west is really nice. One of my fav restaurants is on bay ridge ave (Case pepe).

Old 12-02-2009, 03:00 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I'll be checking out Sheepshead Bay tomorrow.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:07 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,065,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicYouth View Post
Thanks for the info guys. I'll be checking out Sheepshead Bay tomorrow.
Why does everyone go to Brooklyn?

Check out Morris Heights in the west Bronx. Just get off 176th st on the 4 train and walk west.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Why does everyone go to Brooklyn?

Check out Morris Heights in the west Bronx. Just get off 176th st on the 4 train and walk west.
Thanks for the tip. I'm more inclined to visit new neighborhoods in Brooklyn because that's where I live and they're just easier to get to, I'm more familiar with the subways, etc. In my OP I did ask for tips on the Bronx, so thanks, I'll check out Morris Heights. I actually have an acquaintance who lives there, but I've never been. What streets should I check out while I'm there?

Old 12-02-2009, 07:52 PM

185 posts, read 648,666 times
If you go to Inwood, make sure to check out the Cloisters Museum and the Dyckman Farmhouse, also check out Fort Tryon park (a landscaped gem) and Inwood Hill Park (natural/woodsy/saltmarsh) besides the ball parks. If you go on a saturday, there is a farmers market on Isham st right off the the A train.
All the way at the east end of Dyckman st, there is a breathtaking park behind school P.S 5 called Swindlers cove, completely landscaped, (the only way you can appreciate that place fully is in Spring and Summer, (when there are a variety of flowers, even vegetables, paths, a mini waterfall feature, etc and theres a boat house.)

Old 12-02-2009, 09:16 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,065,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicYouth View Post
Thanks for the tip. I'm more inclined to visit new neighborhoods in Brooklyn because that's where I live and they're just easier to get to, I'm more familiar with the subways, etc. In my OP I did ask for tips on the Bronx, so thanks, I'll check out Morris Heights. I actually have an acquaintance who lives there, but I've never been. What streets should I check out while I'm there?
Just walk up 176th to Davidson, Grand, University and Andrews ave. You can go anywhere there really.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:52 PM

Upstater, thanks for the great info on Sheepshead Bay. I visited today and loved it. Might consider checking out some real estate down that way when/if I get priced out of Carroll Gardens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City