Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 10:25 PM

1 posts, read 5,487 times

Advertisements

my 17 year old (suburban) daughter wants to go to a music event on Bushwick Avenue near the Myrtle Avenue stop on a friday night with a few of her friends. and probably leave pretty late. good idea? safe? not? i have not been to that area in a few decades so have no idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 06:32 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,059,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magumba View Post
my 17 year old (suburban) daughter wants to go to a music event on Bushwick Avenue near the Myrtle Avenue stop on a friday night with a few of her friends. and probably leave pretty late. good idea? safe? not? i have not been to that area in a few decades so have no idea.
No it's not a good idea. Car service would be the safest option. As it is, a music event, late at night in Bushwick sounds like trouble to me. I don't think anybody on here is going to say it's a good idea.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:19 AM

295 posts, read 1,505,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
No it's not a good idea. Car service would be the safest option. As it is, a music event, late at night in Bushwick sounds like trouble to me. I don't think anybody on here is going to say it's a good idea.

I agree with above. Not a great idea.

It's not a horrible area... but 17 y/o girls leaving late at night...

Old 12-04-2009, 11:48 AM

403 posts, read 1,393,873 times
no. not safe.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:34 PM

177 posts, read 700,473 times
That area of Bushwick is a dump. As a parent you shouldn't let your daughter go somewhere like that at night.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:38 PM

144 posts, read 463,789 times
whether its safe or not i wouldnt want to wait 20 minutes in the cold weather to take the subway at night!

Old 12-05-2009, 08:33 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Honestly I would be worried about any part of the city for a teen at night. It's not really a location thing for me at least. She can go, just give her the money to cab it instead.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:19 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times
Where is the group coming from?

Yes, that area is still rough, although much improved from decades ago. I will say that if the choice is made to go:

1. Make sure the girls are all together at all times when walking the street. If they do take the train, make sure they are in waiting areas, or areas where there the manned token booth is; so if something, God forbid, does happen, a) assistance can come quicker, and b) there are witnesses in addition to the girls themselves.

2. Don't talk to strangers by any means, even if the person is asking for directions (Many folk who ask for directions do not want directions!). The girls don't know the area, anyway, so don't bother!

2. Be aware that the 83rd Precint is on Knickerbocker, just right off of Myrtle Avenue.

Old 12-05-2009, 05:54 PM

904 posts, read 2,872,141 times
Could they drive? If they can drive, it should be OK, if they're careful. I wouldn't want a kid from the suburbs to be taking the subway back from that area late at night. And I wouldn't want them to leave the actual concert venue.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:00 PM

904 posts, read 2,872,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Honestly I would be worried about any part of the city for a teen at night. It's not really a location thing for me at least. She can go, just give her the money to cab it instead.
I would disagree with that. I grew up in the 'burbs, and did a lot of exploring the city when I was a teenager, and even went at night by the time I was 17. But I didn't go to Bushwick - indeed, I stayed pretty much entirely in Manhattan. I think it's important for a kid to experience that kind of independence and culture. I know it shaped my love of the city .

That said, a high-school kid going to Bushwick is kind of a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City