Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 03:55 PM

139 posts, read 569,042 times

Advertisements

Has anyone received a ticket for using a cell phone in a car? On the ticket there is a nine box line below, IN VIOLATION OF(section and subdivision).It is blank.I was trying to file the ticket online.There is no record of the ticket.
Does anyone know the violation number/section and subdivision? I would like to learn about ways to have the ticket dismissed.Where can the actual law against cell phone use be located? I have read and heard many nuances of the law,but not from the horses mouth.The actual law/violation has to be available on the internet.I am searching but no luck so far.I will post my findings if/when i find what i'm looking for.
For instance,....must the car be moving? what if the car is in park? what if you weren't talking on the phone/weren't connected? what if the phone is ringing,...can you look at the phone? There must be a place to get the actual traffic violation and the law as it is worded. Please help if you can.Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 04:22 PM

200 posts, read 576,948 times
Hands free saves lives. Its the law.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:58 PM

Default Smart People Save Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yearman View Post
Hands free saves lives. Its the law.

Thanks 20yearman.Do you know where the law is posted in its entirety?So far on the Governors Traffic Safety Comittee web site has taught me,...into law 11/1/09.It states the law is a secondary law. "the driver must have committed a primary enforcement offense such as,.........." So thats what kind of info i'm looking for.
I don't use the cell phone while driving so i don't need a hands free setup. By the way,people talking on the phone with a microphone "in" their ears are just as distracted as people without.Using a cell phone is no less distracting than putting a cd in the stereo and removing one.Should car stereo use be made illegal? What about eating a bagel and drinking coffee?What about kids?They can distract people Mod cut.

Last edited by Viralmd; 12-15-2009 at 06:19 PM.. Reason: Not necessary.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:07 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
No sympathy here.Just pay the fine and quit looking for a technicality to get off.
You sound like the people who swear they can drink and drive even though others can't because they know how to drink and drive or because they are a good drunk driver.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:36 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,471,703 times
If there is no violation section/subdivision on the ticket, then is the ticket even valid?? I would think that in order to be ticketed for something, you have to be violating a certain law (section) and a part of that law (subdivsion).

What else is on the ticket?? Does it just say you were driving while using the cell phone? Or is there something else written?? Did the cop write in the section/subdivision and just not check the box?

Old 12-15-2009, 07:41 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
People just don't seem to know how to search. It's simple: go to google.com - type in this phrase:

NY cell phone law

Old 12-15-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
If there is no violation section/subdivision on the ticket, then is the ticket even valid?? I would think that in order to be ticketed for something, you have to be violating a certain law (section) and a part of that law (subdivsion).

What else is on the ticket?? Does it just say you were driving while using the cell phone? Or is there something else written?? Did the cop write in the section/subdivision and just not check the box?
I wasn't on the phone but looked at it(flipped it open)at a red light.I was pulled over by the only car around.Other car at red light.Undercover cops.He knew i wasn't on the phone but went with the overtime shift must meet quota.In the big box says cell phone.Nothing in the violation number boxes.On the internet dmv site it's not in the system 14 days later.I have 15 days to respond.I think it's not filed but helped meet his quota.
I was interested in the word by word exact law regarding cell phone use in an automobile.I have my bill to show no use during that time.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:29 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,471,703 times
If you have the bill proving the phone wasn't used during that time frame, then that's all you need. No technicalities or anything else.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:17 AM

200 posts, read 576,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnoteddie View Post
I wasn't on the phone but looked at it(flipped it open)at a red light.I was pulled over by the only car around.Other car at red light.Undercover cops.He knew i wasn't on the phone but went with the overtime shift must meet quota.In the big box says cell phone.Nothing in the violation number boxes.On the internet dmv site it's not in the system 14 days later.I have 15 days to respond.I think it's not filed but helped meet his quota.
I was interested in the word by word exact law regarding cell phone use in an automobile.I have my bill to show no use during that time.
Even if you have your cell bill you wont be able to beat it. Who's to say you weren't on another phone of yours and not the one for the the bill you want to present to the judge. just pay the ticket and don't use the phone while driving or at a red light. If your are drunk and in the car behind the wheel with the key in the ignition but not driving you get locked up for DWI. You don't have to be actually driving the car. The same goes for sitting at a red light and just looking at the phone in your hand. BUSTED. pay the ticket and stop wasting your time looking for a loophole.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:55 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Cellular Phones

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City