Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 11:52 PM

4 posts, read 24,376 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to NYC. I have responded to dozens of roommate ads. I have checked out almost two dozens places over the last week. I still haven't found a "jock." I've found many, many artists and actors and musicians and students who are not into sports. One of the reasons I wanted to move to NYC was the sports-crazed culture I've heard about. I've played football and basketball and baseball in high school, football in college. I spend the overwhelming majority of my free time either watching, reading about or playing sports. I am a sports nut. Most of my friends, who are scattered across the country, are the same way.

Now, I move to NYC and I can't find a single athlete. I am trying to find roommates with similar interests, but no luck. Am I doing something wrong, or has George Steinbrenner has been paying for the Yankees with other sources of revenues?

Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 12:18 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,267,353 times
You were sadly misinformed. I don't believe I have ever met a jock in NYC. Be more specific in your own ad concerning what you are looking for.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:45 AM

917 posts, read 2,947,925 times
I'd move to Boston or Jersey or something to find jocks. I'd also bet you're looking in Manhattan, which has a very high concentration of yuppies and hipsters.

I'd bet you could find your jocks in Brooklyn and Queens.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:06 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,212 times
It might not be so bad to live with an artist or something. It would broaden your interests. Recently I have gotten more into sports (last night me and my friend went to a Texas bar to watch Texas vs Alabama). You can still go watch sports and stuff.

But I wouldnt say there are very many jocks in NYC. try moving to the midwest

Old 01-08-2010, 08:15 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
Hmm...I can tell you there are plenty of all American college jock-types in Hoboken, NJ, which is 1 path train ride away fron Manhattan. The entire city (very small, about 1 mile , 55,000 people) has become basically ground zero for newly minted all-American corn-fed jock college/mba graduates, as well as similar Manhattan transplants.

I recommend taking a day trip to Hoboken..it's VERY close, has LOTS of jock bars, and the athletic scene you are looking for I suspect. If you need more info..email me. Good luck dude.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:50 AM

420 posts, read 805,048 times
There are plenty of jocks in the Murray Hill neighborhood in Manhattan. I used to work out at the NYSC on 34th and Park. That gym was always filled with lots of jocks and a ton of hot chicks.

I played in a very competitive, lots-of-contact flag football league as well when I lived up there. Check it out: unitedsportsleague.com

You won't find any jocks in "trendy" neighborhoods like SoHo, the Village, Chelsea etc... but Murray Hill is packed with them, I promise.

Also, Asphalt Green in the UES has year-round sports leagues.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:49 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,294,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_emt View Post
One of the reasons I wanted to move to NYC was the sports-crazed culture I've heard about.
People move to Manhattan to get away from the jocks. Manhattanites are often into fitness, but that's not the same as sports.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:03 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,212 times
I have yet to see a "sports crazed" culture. Sure everyone seems like like baseball and football. But its hardly crazy

Old 01-08-2010, 10:03 AM

403 posts, read 1,394,232 times
I second the post about murray hill. Filled with jocks. I work out at H Club on 34th btwn 2nd and 3rd and it too has tons of jocks, and yes, hot girls. But youre right, most of manhattan is bereft of true sports fans. Most people in the city are from somewhere else. Want frustration? Try going to a manhattan super bowl party. The guy to my left says, "So, the guys in the gold are the steelers?" OH MY GOOD GOD. I moved from Boston and it's not the same. No one to watch Pats games with or anyone who can relate how sports can break your heart. BUT, this is NYC and everything is here. You just gotta find it. Ive yet to go to a Boston sports bar to watch the games. There's one near my place, and Im sure it would satisfy some of my cravings.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:06 PM

4 posts, read 24,376 times
Thanks for all the replies, fellas! Keep it coming. I will definitely check out Hoboken and Murray Hill. I also will email some of you to ask more details soon when I get the chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City