Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2010, 05:21 PM

6 posts, read 25,115 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate to NYC for the 2010-2011 school year. I am certified in Texas for Early Childhood-4th grade as well as English as a Second Language. I have five years of experience.

I know that it is not easy to get a job in public schools in NYC. From what I understand there is a hiring freeze? What about private schools?

Any links or suggestions for teachers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 05:35 PM

6 posts, read 25,115 times
By the way...how do I go about searching for charter schools? Is there an easy link??

Old 01-24-2010, 07:25 PM

917 posts, read 2,948,314 times
There's definitely a hiring freeze on, so public schools are out. Two of my friends are working in charter schools. They got those positions from the principals at the schools they student taught at. It's going to be very very hard to find a teaching job right now. Do you have any friends in New York that could ask around for you?

Old 01-24-2010, 09:14 PM

91 posts, read 312,013 times
It really depends on your certification area. NYC schools are mainly looking for teachers in high demand content areas: Special Education, Science and ELL/ESL. Since you have certification in one of the above mentioned, your chances are much better on landing a job in one of the public schools.

Go to the NYC DOE website: http://schools.nyc.gov/TeachNYC/default.htm and apply through there. You can also get a list of charter schools from the DOE website and approach them directly about any openings.

Good Luck!

Old 01-26-2010, 06:42 PM

2 posts, read 9,911 times
It is as hard as it can be to get a teaching job in nyc right now. I teach in a private school, and we get resumes rolling in on a daily basis. Yes, hiring freeze in public schools, so everyone is desperate. Our main "sub" has been out of NYU grad school for two years. soooo, good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City