Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 12:27 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,678,239 times

Advertisements

Is there anyone who has or has had a car in Manhattan? Is it that much of a hassle? Do you spend much more money on it than you would living elsewhere?
I know that it's highly recommended that you don't own a car while living here, so you don't need to tell me that. I commute to work in Long Island and even with traffic it'd be faster and more convenient for me to drive there than to take the LIRR. Moving to LI is an option, but the absolute dead last resort for me. I'm wondering if anyone who has owned or owns a car here knows the cost, disadvantages, and tips of owning a car in the city...I need to make a decision whether or not to buy one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 02:05 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,948,630 times
I had a car - only because I was doing a reverse commute to NJ. It was expensive, was a problem getting inspections done (the inspection places are rarely open on weekends) and, after I changed my work to a position in Manhattan, I sold the car. A wonderful day. I think if I lived elsewhere where there was easy street parking I'd still have the car. But in Manhattan? No way. I use a ZipCar if I need a car now.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:19 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,298,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
Do you spend much more money on it than you would living elsewhere?
Of course it's going to cost more. Everything costs more in Manhattan.

What about Brooklyn? That way you avoid a lot of traffic and parking is cheaper. A lot of the newer buildings have parking available.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:22 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,948,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
A lot of the newer buildings have parking available.
And that'll cost you, too - just not as much as in Manhattan.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:26 PM

40 posts, read 118,037 times
Default Funny....

I was speaking with my Aunt this morning who is a retired Professor and has lived there for 30 years and we were speaking of this because I am coming up to visit with a possible stay and she said 'whatever you do (I'm from California recent transplant to Maryland, I drove) don't bring your car." I have plans of visiting friends in Brooklyn before seeing her and she said leave your car in Brooklyn and then take the train to Manhattan. Then she went on to tell me several stories over the years of those who have moved from the Midwest with their cars only to discover it was more of a hassle and cost . There really is no need for a car there. She has a car but it stays at summer house in Pennsylvania. The biggest cost was storage. She mentioned that she knew people who were paying upwards of $2000 a month to store car monthly! WHAT????! And actually she's been there since 1968 in her same apartment so that's 40 plus years of experience. :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
Is there anyone who has or has had a car in Manhattan? Is it that much of a hassle? Do you spend much more money on it than you would living elsewhere?
I know that it's highly recommended that you don't own a car while living here, so you don't need to tell me that. I commute to work in Long Island and even with traffic it'd be faster and more convenient for me to drive there than to take the LIRR. Moving to LI is an option, but the absolute dead last resort for me. I'm wondering if anyone who has owned or owns a car here knows the cost, disadvantages, and tips of owning a car in the city...I need to make a decision whether or not to buy one.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:59 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,668,752 times
I had a car in BK for 2 years while I was doing a reverse commute to Westchester.

It was the biggest PITA ever. Ticket after ticket after ticket. Sitting in traffic for hours. Don't do it. Where in LI are you working? The traffic to and from LI in rush hour is TORTUROUS, even doing a reverse commute (I live on LI now).

Old 02-25-2010, 05:00 PM

27 posts, read 143,174 times
The other night it took me about 20 minutes to find a parking space, that has been the longest time span since I've been here. Every morning I wake up hoping that the car is still there and doesn't have a ticket.

I don't think anyone will steal it, I'm just hoping it won't be towed. I got a ticket the first night I parked it. I parked where someone had previously been. They were from New York so I thought it was legal. Not so much. Apparently, I was parked in a crosswalk.

I can't figure out just how close I can park to the fire hydrants and I see people parked in the actual intersection between the crosswalks and I don't know if it's legal. I've never had to walk too far to where I parked though and as I said, the only people I'm afraid of is the NYPD Traffic somebodies.

I say this because we are in the same area and I also have to make drives out to Long Island. Get the car and park it in the garage on St. Nicholas if you don't want to deal with finding a spot. You'll know that you'll have a spot and get a little bit of exercise on a daily basis. When I bring up my personal car, I expect it to be spending the nights there.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:40 PM

988 posts, read 3,256,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
And that'll cost you, too - just not as much as in Manhattan.
I got lucky, I only pay $150 monthly for a spot in a brand new building in Brooklyn. Since you work in LI, I would choose a close-in BK or Queens neighborhood with good expressway access, good subway access, and on-site parking. Williamsburg, Greenpoint(so-so subway access), Long Island City, Downtown Brooklyn, etc all come to mind. As said tons of times, parking is expensive, and a huge hassle in Manhattan. There is a good chance that if you get a parking garage that it won't be in the same building or even the same block. Walking 4 blocks to the garage, waiting for an attendant to get your car, and tipping the attendant daily(unless you want door dings) would annoy me. That's just extra hassles that I wouldn't want to deal with.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:56 PM

172 posts, read 273,877 times
I garage my car in my building, although there is always street parking up front.

Should you own a car in Manhattan? Can you afford to own it? I'm guessing the average price of a garage in Manhattan is about $500 per month (but you get a small discount, being a Manhattan resident). Insurance is quite expensive.

I personally love having a car.

Last edited by gulfstreamliberal; 02-25-2010 at 09:06 PM..

Old 02-25-2010, 10:04 PM

314 posts, read 547,509 times
I drove one of my cars down from Des Moines one time... had a car in NYC for maybe a month, never again...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: