Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2010, 03:07 PM

176 posts, read 374,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanladytobe View Post
ok so I guess there isn't a mini medical you have to run all around town once again. Thanks for the post. This question is for guys already OTJ. Are there people who work this jobs and are able to persue their degree, or do the rotating shifts make that impossible?
iT WILL DEFINITELY VARY AS TO PURSUING A DEGREE WHEN FIRST STARTING ON THE JOB. First thing, you are days in your district for the 1st 30 days. No nights or out of town. After the 30, it will really depend on how many go to a district with you & how many you have beat. Also, the garage functions are key also in determining what type of shifts you'll work. It is great that you wish to better yourself, but my advice is to put that on hold for now. Complete your 18 months of probation 1st. This way you can see how your garage shifts work for you & your schedule. A big plus for your degree plans would be if you could them online. Thats just my opinion & I wish you the best & good luck.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:46 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,063,729 times
There was a gentlemen from the other thread/website who tried juggling DSNY with college and this was his post.

"I don't mind. Well as everyone knows, when you're one of the bottom guys you don't exactly get to choose your shift. So when I got on the job I just needed one more year to finish my bachelors in education. So i tried juggling sanitation and attending class for the year and a half I was there."

"With night plow, the bad winter we had in 08, and having very little flexibility, I resorted to switching my chart to whichever day I had class, uses hours if needed, and calling out if I had no other choice."

"It ended up that I had to choose one or the other. I had a few complaints for going emergency with no proof and if I ever wanted to come back I had to have some kind of good record. So I figured I invested 3 years of time and money on my education and I wanted to see it through. In a perfect world sanitation would have called me after I graduated but that wasn't the case."

And after having done both I would much rather be a San man hands down."
I don't even think it's feasible to hold a p/t job when you're on probation. Ok, you have Sundays off unless it snows on that day but your other day off is a rotating one, plus you have round robins, bouncing around different districts. Unless your side gig is a self employment one which then you can work around your DSNY schedule.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:51 PM

389 posts, read 775,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanladytobe View Post
ok so I guess there isn't a mini medical you have to run all around town once again. Thanks for the post. This question is for guys already OTJ. Are there people who work this jobs and are able to persue their degree, or do the rotating shifts make that impossible?
It's one or the other.. I worked 5 different shifts in the same week a few times in my first year plus the infamous 'round robin' a few times. Even if you made the classes, you would very hard pressed to stay awake let alone have time to study the necessary material.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:36 PM

14 posts, read 30,251 times
I appreciate all of the posts guys it's very clear what I need to do because my school perfomance or work performance could suffer. I may have a good chance of getting on this round, so I'll see this through. It's just frustrating because you're not certain if you're gonna make the cut or if theres even another class following this one.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:11 AM

124 posts, read 215,001 times
Well I have a strategy just to see where we stand...if you are waiting on this class just email me your score with list number and by the end of the week I will post up what I received and where you would probably be in the top 100 give and take 1 or 3 because there would be gaps depending who doesn't reply, hondacura71@yahoo.com, other suggestions will be taken...best luck to all....

Old 11-06-2010, 09:30 AM

6 posts, read 16,983 times
Default Questions About DSNY

Hi --

I have a few questions about working for the DSNY.

I'm 23 yrs old, about to graduate, in a month, as a certified teacher with two degrees.

A few years ago, I had a mini-crisis in college, where I almost quit, thinking that there is no real "field" for me -- even if I'd enjoy doing something, like teaching. I seriously considered quitting and going for an apprenticeship, or MTA, DSNY, etc. But, I decided to stick it out, give teaching a shot (against my instincts), and right now, I'm in the middle of my student teaching experience. I've decided that teaching is not for me, nor are most fields. It sucks that after several years, the degrees are not so meaningful to me, but oh well, that's how life goes.

But, I like doing physical things, am strong and have stamina (lift weights, do kettlebells, at-home gymnastics, jog), and think working with the [likely] varied groups of people that make up DSNY would not only be fun, but could also be written about. My #1 interest in life is writing, and after I get home, I wanna feel physically tired, but ready to get my words out. No worry about "garbageman" politics, no supervisors getting down my throats about my poor integration of "theory" into the classroom, just straight, honest work for a few hours -- that's my kind of thing. Thus, out of the many other job options I'm looking at now, DSNY looks good.

I know there's a hiring freeze, tests that need to be taken, etc., but don't know where to begin.

1) When is the next DSNY test? If 2011, around when? Is this simply the written portion, or more?

2) If it's in 2011, when could I expect to be hired? Obviously, the earlier the better, but I could still teach or do other work in the meantime, so it's not such a big deal to me.

3) What are the working hours like for the first 1-3 years? I hear it can be stressful; can somebody share details, specifics, etc.

4) What are the working hours like after the first few years? Do you settle into a routine, or still have to jump around everywhere?

5) Is overtime required? I don't mean during the winter months, when lots of people have to put extra time in, but in general, and after some level of seniority.

As you can see, I'm trying to find a job that requires 1) good physical work, 2) reasonable hours, at least after a bit of time. I like the physicality, I need the extra hours at home, and I don't about making any 'extra' money.

Thanks,
Alex.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:53 AM

10 posts, read 30,637 times
Hey Obey, I can answer most if not all your questions. I just completed my 5th year with the dept. although I love the job, it has its ups and downs. First and foremost, there wont be another test til around 2014 since the current list was extended, with that being said after you finally get to take the test and if you get called ( depending on city hiring freezes or some unforeseen event ) I would say 6-7 yrs would have passed by. So basically what I'm telling you is don't give up on those degrees you have.

Your working hours will be based against your seniority, it will definitely be an 8 hr shift but you will bouncing around like a beach ball once your done with your 30 days in the district. You might get lucky since there are a ton of my union brothers who dump on shift and there is basically no need for a night shift anymore so You might not even bounce, you will though probably be forced out of town ALOT which isn't bad in some cases because you can pick up alot of hours.

OT is based on availability and Seniority meaning we only get OT when they need us and you get it if noone wants it and it noone wants it they go from the bottom up. As of late though all the senior men in my district have been jumping on every bit of OT since they are scared there wont be anymore in the near future ( KEEP DUMPING on shift and there wont be )

Teaching is a very noble profession, my kids education depends on teachers and i respect them more than know. I would say try looking for a teaching job in LI if you know anyone to get you in. The pay is better and the classes are smaller. I know you say your physically fit and all but this job throws curveballs at even the most fit person, not saying your not up to the challenge, but physical prowess means nothing on a job that can blow your back out or rip your bicep right out in a blink of an eye. If teaching really isnt for you then by all means look for whats gonna make you happy. My wife works for MTA , they get a ton of OT but they are in the crosshairs of the media and the public so im sure the state is gonna bring the hammer down on them too so get in somewhere before its too late. If by some chance you make it into DSNY I will be wishing you the best of luck and hope to see you out of town somewhere as one of The Strongest.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:41 AM

6 posts, read 16,983 times
Hey Lifer,

Thanks for the comments. To follow up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYlifer View Post
First and foremost, there wont be another test til around 2014 since the current list was extended, with that being said after you finally get to take the test and if you get called ( depending on city hiring freezes or some unforeseen event ) I would say 6-7 yrs would have passed by. So basically what I'm telling you is don't give up on those degrees you have.
So, do you mean that I should only expect a job in 2016 or 2017 at the earliest? It's a long time, but there's always things for me to do in the meantime.

Quote:
Your working hours will be based against your seniority, it will definitely be an 8 hr shift but you will bouncing around like a beach ball once your done with your 30 days in the district.
What are these 30 days? Also, do you mean multiple 8 hr shifts -- as in, very early morning --- noon, then, on the same day, afternoon --- midnight? How long does this kind of grueling schedule last?

Quote:
you will though probably be forced out of town ALOT which isn't bad in some cases because you can pick up alot of hours.
Out of town, where? And in what context -- what would I be doing outside of the 5 boroughs?

Quote:
Teaching is a very noble profession, my kids education depends on teachers and i respect them more than know. I would say try looking for a teaching job in LI if you know anyone to get you in. The pay is better and the classes are smaller. I know you say your physically fit and all but this job throws curveballs at even the most fit person, not saying your not up to the challenge, but physical prowess means nothing on a job that can blow your back out or rip your bicep right out in a blink of an eye. If teaching really isnt for you then by all means look for whats gonna make you happy. My wife works for MTA , they get a ton of OT but they are in the crosshairs of the media and the public so im sure the state is gonna bring the hammer down on them too so get in somewhere before its too late. If by some chance you make it into DSNY I will be wishing you the best of luck and hope to see you out of town somewhere as one of The Strongest.
Thanks for all the comments, I'm still keeping my options open as far as teaching goes, but I definitely won't end up as a "regular" teacher -- maybe a para, or a literacy coach, at most.

Thanks again,
Alex.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:20 PM

10 posts, read 30,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeyTheSloth View Post
Hi --

I have a few questions about working for the DSNY.

I'm 23 yrs old, about to graduate, in a month, as a certified teacher with two degrees.

A few years ago, I had a mini-crisis in college, where I almost quit, thinking that there is no real "field" for me -- even if I'd enjoy doing something, like teaching. I seriously considered quitting and going for an apprenticeship, or MTA, DSNY, etc. But, I decided to stick it out, give teaching a shot (against my instincts), and right now, I'm in the middle of my student teaching experience. I've decided that teaching is not for me, nor are most fields. It sucks that after several years, the degrees are not so meaningful to me, but oh well, that's how life goes.

But, I like doing physical things, am strong and have stamina (lift weights, do kettlebells, at-home gymnastics, jog), and think working with the [likely] varied groups of people that make up DSNY would not only be fun, but could also be written about. My #1 interest in life is writing, and after I get home, I wanna feel physically tired, but ready to get my words out. No worry about "garbageman" politics, no supervisors getting down my throats about my poor integration of "theory" into the classroom, just straight, honest work for a few hours -- that's my kind of thing. Thus, out of the many other job options I'm looking at now, DSNY looks good.

I know there's a hiring freeze, tests that need to be taken, etc., but don't know where to begin.

1) When is the next DSNY test? If 2011, around when? Is this simply the written portion, or more?

2) If it's in 2011, when could I expect to be hired? Obviously, the earlier the better, but I could still teach or do other work in the meantime, so it's not such a big deal to me.

3) What are the working hours like for the first 1-3 years? I hear it can be stressful; can somebody share details, specifics, etc.

4) What are the working hours like after the first few years? Do you settle into a routine, or still have to jump around everywhere?

5) Is overtime required? I don't mean during the winter months, when lots of people have to put extra time in, but in general, and after some level of seniority.

As you can see, I'm trying to find a job that requires 1) good physical work, 2) reasonable hours, at least after a bit of time. I like the physicality, I need the extra hours at home, and I don't about making any 'extra' money.

Thanks,
Alex.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeyTheSloth View Post
Hey Lifer,

Thanks for the comments. To follow up:

So, do you mean that I should only expect a job in 2016 or 2017 at the earliest? It's a long time, but there's always things for me to do in the meantime.

What are these 30 days? Also, do you mean multiple 8 hr shifts -- as in, very early morning --- noon, then, on the same day, afternoon --- midnight? How long does this kind of grueling schedule last?

Out of town, where? And in what context -- what would I be doing outside of the 5 boroughs?

Thanks for all the comments, I'm still keeping my options open as far as teaching goes, but I definitely won't end up as a "regular" teacher -- maybe a para, or a literacy coach, at most.

Thanks again,
Alex.
Okay to elaborate more
If this list expires in 2014 they usually give a new test right around the time it expires and depending on your score and any credits you use ( military, city residence ) it will take anywhere from a few months after the test to a few years. Obviously the higher the score the earlier they call you.

After you get the job and you do your orientation and you get assigned to your district you are given a 30 day period where you will not go out of town or go nights. So you can get a feel for the district and your duties.
You only work 8 hr periods with 8 hrs between every shift , the only time you go past 8 hrs in a shift is for OT during the snow or after a backlog holiday where they might need guys/gals to dump trucks ( thats also if noone dumps on shift )

Out of town means if you cant make your district they will cross utilize you where they need you and if they need you in the Bronx then you go there or in Manhattan then you go there and you could be doing collection, recycling, MLP . Basically anywhere in the 5 boros.
There are perks to that though because you can pick up 4 hours travel time to go to districts out of your zone or some senior guy might want it and you might even make the district so like i said the job has its ups and downs. as you gain seniority you gain better picks of shift, might not be right away but eventually you will get there.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:18 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,063,729 times
The next DSNY exam should be sometime in 2013, they have to give the next exam before the list expires according to civil service law. Just a warning though, if you think this current list is big(29,276 eligibles) the next one will be even bigger. Regardless of what the starting base pay will be when the new contract comes around next fall and also if Tier 5(pension) is passed. The Economy being the main reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City