Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 09:07 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,613,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolwaves View Post
How high should I go with Upper East Side? What boundaries should I be looking at? I'm single and late 20's.
Since I am not used to high density living and the noises associated with it, I'd like a quiet but convenient neighborhood, of course , near grocery stores and cheap takeouts
You shouldn't let anyone tell you what "boundaries" to look at. Feeling safe is a very subjective thing. One person might not want to be caught north of 96th Street under any circumstances, while another might find it just fine. Check neighborhoods out yourself and see how you feel. (You might also want to reconsider that "Manhattan or nothing" philosophy!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 11:18 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
I would say to look at the East 60's, 70's and 30's - to the East of Lexintgon Ave. The further East you go from Lexington - the quieter it will be - but you'll still be close to lots of restaurants, businesses, stores, etc. The East 50's is a little trendier and a little noisier - but still a very nice area. And anywhere from the 30's to the 80's or 90's is still a lot quiter than anywhere in the village (which is an awesome part of town - just busy, thriving, and noisy). With your budget - you can really afford to live anywhere - so I just don't see that you would want to go that far up on the east side since it would just make your commute longer.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:37 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,409,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I would say to look at the East 60's, 70's and 30's - to the East of Lexintgon Ave. The further East you go from Lexington - the quieter it will be - but you'll still be close to lots of restaurants, businesses, stores, etc. The East 50's is a little trendier and a little noisier - but still a very nice area. And anywhere from the 30's to the 80's or 90's is still a lot quiter than anywhere in the village (which is an awesome part of town - just busy, thriving, and noisy). With your budget - you can really afford to live anywhere - so I just don't see that you would want to go that far up on the east side since it would just make your commute longer.
Very good advice. The UES will have less noise than Downtown areas, for the most part, since it's not a trendy club zone at all hours of the night. The only extra noise in the far E30s is the heliport, and it's not that bad since flights are only allowed 8-8 weekdays, and 10-6 weekends.

96th is the UES boundary, and it's where police precincts change. I would tend to avoid the larger crosstown streets if you want to minimize noise, as they carry traffic that's akin to the avenues. In the neighborhood, these would include: 96th, 86th, 72nd, and the general area from 57th-60th between 1st & 2nd because of bridge traffic in the area. That said, outside of peak traffic times, you would just have the regular background city noise in these areas, so it might not be too much of an issue for you.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City