Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 11:07 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,609,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
No, it's just underrated, maybe because it's in Queens (read: unhip).
Well, I actually prefer the "unhip" neighborhoods anyway!

Quote:
For a large studio, I think $1300 is reasonable, though it might be a bit less or a bit more. I would expect $1500+ for a one bedroom.
That actually sounds pretty reasonable considering how close it is to Manhattan. I think I'm going to target Queens over Brooklyn from now on in my apartment search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 01:34 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,306,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_R160 View Post
how is the 7 train now? my friend used to live along the 7 line, and it was always under construction during the weekend.
The construction is over for now and, I expect, won't be an issue during the Mets' season. It was more of an issue in LIC, since you needed to take a shuttle bus to Queensboro Plaza. From Sunnyside, you could take the 7 to Queensboro Plaza and switch to the N, which wasn't so bad. The 7 just didn't continue on to Hunters Point and Manhattan.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:43 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
I just realized in the course of one thread that only covers a couple of weeks, I said you could find a studio for $1000 in Sunnyside and then I said you could find one for $1300 plus or minus.

A very, very lucky friend found a very large and renovated rent-stabilized one bedroom with views of Manhattan in Sunnyside this year for $1000, but she had been looking for awhile (was in the right place at the right time) and was friends with the broker. Besides her I don't know anyone who has done an apartment search recently in Sunnyside, so I don't have any way of knowing for sure what you get when your budget for a studio is $1000 vs $1300.

And to Matt- can't remember if you know where you will be working, but often people who work in midtown Manhattan choose to live in Queens vs Brooklyn, and those who work in the very southern part of Manhattan will choose to live in Brooklyn (due to commute times).

If you have time, take a look at the subway map at mta.info and just trace where the lines go, and take the time to see which lines run express. i.e. E and F trains run express in Queens, so Jackson Heights/Roosevelt Ave. is only 3 express stops into Queens from Manhattan and therefore quite a short commute from the east side of Manhattan. If the trains are running local, though, as I think they may late late nights, there are more like 10 or 12 stops, so it takes much longer.

One underrated (imho) and unhip neighborhood in Brooklyn is Ditmas Park. The Q train has a pretty quick commute into Manhattan and the ride to Union Square may be only 20 minutes (once on the train).

Old 03-23-2010, 07:47 PM

966 posts, read 2,446,259 times
Thanks everyone.

There are, btw, lots of studios in Sunnyside listed on craigslist, running from $950 to $1000. I just hope this holds up until August.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:08 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,938,735 times
Quote:
No, it's just underrated, maybe because it's in Queens (read: unhip). Sometimes it seems like the only two Queens neighborhoods people outside of Queens know are Astoria and Long Island City. Sunnyside has plenty of good restaurants, groceries & amenities. A side benefit of living in Queens vs. Manhattan or even some nabes in Brooklyn is that groceries tend to be significantly cheaper. Sunnyside even has a nice gym (NYSC).

For a large studio, I think $1300 is reasonable, though it might be a bit less or a bit more. I would expect $1500+ for a one bedroom.

Being a former 45 yr ressy of SUnnyside 11104...WE DO NOT have plenty of good restaurants or groceries...fact that is an area that we have failed for many years...be great if we DID have some nice restaurants and some groceries in 11104

Old 03-24-2010, 09:37 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichappens View Post
Being a former 45 yr ressy of SUnnyside 11104...WE DO NOT have plenty of good restaurants or groceries...fact that is an area that we have failed for many years...be great if we DID have some nice restaurants and some groceries in 11104
Wow, I really disagree with that statement. Check the chowhound outer boroughs board or yelp to see all the restaurants that are being reviewed.
New to Sunnyside. Need info about EVERYTHING. - Outer Boroughs - Chowhound

And I am not sure what your needs are regarding groceries, but as far as outer borough neighborhoods go, I would be perfectly happy shopping at the groceries and markets in Sunnyside.

Perhaps your needs are different than mine, or you are making a comparison to neighborhoods in Manhattan.

I personally quite like the Met Food on 43rd Ave. It's tiny but quite nice in terms of products, service and cleanliness. There's a natural/organic store on Queens Blvd that's also small but has a good selection. And there are plenty of small foods shops like produce markets, butchers, fish stores, etc.

I would expect for someone like Nala, who is looking to live in a nice neighborhood outisde manhattan where she can be comfortable and keep her costs down, that the amenities in Sunnyside would be more than enough... but I guess you never know.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:24 AM

Met food is Gross the meat is disgusting..and what is really disturbing is they have birds/pigeons flying and crapping in the store and on the shoppers.... The heath food store on QB is VERY limited and be sure to look at the expiration date on the product since they dont move or sell very fast...that has happened to me several times.... I shop at Trader Joe, Wholefoods and Citarella for 99 percent of my goods....There is a VERY good Butcher Butcher Block they are wonderful in terms of fresh meat, but, I don't like the prepared foods that lie out too long....

As per Restaurants I guess our lifestyle and taste are VERY different my nees are Quality, Clean Establishment, That has atmosphere and GREAT Chefs...also it helps when the customer service and waite staff are very nice...The only decent restaurnt that Sunnyside has is Dazies in my opinon the rest are very hole in the wall and not what I would consider worth while.

sites like Yelp etc......anyone can post under serveral names to give a biz higher ratings or bad ratings...I know for a fact that many Restaurants, clubs and shops IN nyc and LA will give you a free meal, drink or discount if you post a 5 star rating...being a 45 yr ressy of Sunnyside and know a lot of people us true sunnysiders will tell you that Sunnyside / Woodside is lacking in the supermarket and restaurant sector...we did get a Starbucks and we are hoping that more hip and trendy places do come to the 11104 11377 ..... I should mention that on Skillman Aburgine Cafe is VERY NICE and the ONLY cafe we really have that is clean with quality food.

Loads of Sunny/wood ressy's go to LIC aka Queens West they have LOADS of High End restaurants that also have GREAT views of the city.

Last edited by Chichappens; 03-24-2010 at 11:35 AM..

Old 03-24-2010, 12:07 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,062,511 times
I agree with you about Woodside/Sunnyside lacking quality supermarkets. Throw in Elmhurst as well, Stop and Shop is the only major grocery and that is on the Elmhurst/Maspeth border.

Wouldn't the Pathmark on 42nd St/Northern Blvd be convenient for Sunnyside residents?

Old 03-24-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
I agree with you about Woodside/Sunnyside lacking quality supermarkets. Throw in Elmhurst as well, Stop and Shop is the only major grocery and that is on the Elmhurst/Maspeth border.

Wouldn't the Pathmark on 42nd St/Northern Blvd be convenient for Sunnyside residents?

that is VERY far..that is considered more LIC / Astoria...and walking down some of those dark old warehouses and train tracks is SPOOKY.. Sad that Fresh Direct only delivers to LIC and not to the rest of queens proper...I have relatives in Woodside near the Big Six all they have is a Keyfood and its not the best or the worst but limited and few items and sometimes over priced.

There was a time that Sunnyside between 41St and 48th and greenpoint/47th ave had 5 BIG supermarkets. now there are 3 one on Queens Blvd and 46, is the same owner as the one on 47 ave and 44th and then you ha...ve the supermarket on 42nd street. and they are lacking. The produce is DISGUSSTING to say the least thank goodness for farmers markets.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:20 PM

you can try this site for produce that is fresh... Local Harvest / Farmers Markets / Family Farms / CSA / Organic Food
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City