Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 04:42 AM

15 posts, read 56,043 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have an idea how much an executive/personal assistant can make a year working in Manhattan? High school graduate with 10+ years of E/PA experience supporting C level persons (not in NYC) and 2+ years experience in PR and event planning. Is it possible to make 80k+? How tough is job market for this particular field? Any suggestions regarding job search? Shall I contact employment agencies? Can you recommend any? In your opinion how much time will I need to land a job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 06:20 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,948,630 times
You need to work here with a valid visa. Individuals usually do NOT sponsor foreign nationals' work visas.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:09 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,668,752 times
The job market is horrific right now. The 10 years exp is great, but thousands of other people in NYC have 10+ years exp. You could have easily gotten $85k a few years ago, but right now, jobs are scarce, and the competition for Asst jobs is fierce. You can probably find something for $60ish, that seems to be the going rate right now. Plan on 6 months to find a job. Even when the market was fantastic, I went through an average of approx 5 interviews at each position I was interviewing for.

(I'm an Exec Asst and have been for 11 years).

And as Viralmd said, if you do not have a valid work visa, don't even bother.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:14 AM

9 posts, read 39,863 times
40 Grand is more like it these days ...

Old 03-09-2010, 08:34 AM

I will have a permanent residence, so visa is not a problem. I was planning to give it six months to land a good job and in the meantime to try landing any temp jobs or internships just to gain NYC experience. I will be staying with a friend and I won't be paying rent or utility bills for the first six months. I also have around 45k in savings and I guess that should be enough.
There are also possibilities of evening or weekend part time jobs. Any ideas about those?

Old 03-09-2010, 09:11 AM

917 posts, read 2,948,866 times
Honestly, it's a rough market for everyone, experience or not. If you don't have a college degree, you'll be hard pressed to get a good job because you'll be up against people with similar work experience and a college degree. Most jobs that don't require a college degree have even fiercer competition and don't pay very well at all- like $30,000 a year if you can get an office job. There are exceptions, but those are usually people who have worked their way up through the company. Unless you have friends who can hook you up with a job, it's going to be tough.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:42 AM

Oh - whoops, didn't see that you don't have a degree. Even with your experience, most of the high level exec asst jobs in Manhattan REQUIRE a bachelors. You're looking at more like $40k.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mari972 View Post
I will have a permanent residence, so visa is not a problem. I was planning to give it six months to land a good job and in the meantime to try landing any temp jobs or internships just to gain NYC experience. I will be staying with a friend and I won't be paying rent or utility bills for the first six months. I also have around 45k in savings and I guess that should be enough.
There are also possibilities of evening or weekend part time jobs. Any ideas about those?
FYI - Just having a permanent residence here does not allow you to legally work in the US. If that was the case, anyone could just move here and be able to work. You're going to need an employer to sponsor you for a Green Card/Visa... with the glut of qualified citizens, that's not going to happen.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:26 AM

I will have a green card. A friend of mine works as an architect and I have a job offer(60k) from her company. I was thinking of accepting that one, work part time evenings and weekends and search for something better. I can babysit, work as waitress, hostess...anything really as additional income. I also have in plan to enroll to college but maybe after a year or so.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:47 AM

917 posts, read 2,948,866 times
60K is about as good as you will get without a college degree.

Be warned though, you may be expected to work longer hours than you are used and may not have time for a second job. Just make sure you understand the hours that are expected of you when you agree to take the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: