Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 09:11 PM

5 posts, read 28,741 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am considering to buy an apartment right here.
I have been there few times and saw nothing special.

But today as I was talking with an accountant she told me that there was a methadone center right there and that people hang out here late at night - and I have to say that she looked pretty convincing while not being the type of woman easily impressed (I mean, she looked kind of really really tough).

I am not particularly afraid, but my wife and I are suddenly reconsidering the whole project. I know that crime is very low in Manhattan and this place is certainly not dangerous, still would this specific area be considered as one of the worst if we had to rank the neighborhoods? Is there anyone living here that could share a little bit?

Thanks for any insight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 09:24 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,833,364 times
I was just at 21st and 2nd the other night. We walked out of the place where were at (also an apartment) at 1:30 am and had no problem. We were between 2nd and 3rd. The police station is on 21st where we where so you are pretty close to that. We are two 20 something girls and it was fine. I mean its not PACKED at night but we walked alone and there where other people on the street. It just seemed pretty residential to me. I wouldn't under any circumstances categorize it as a bad neighborhood.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:32 PM

8 posts, read 30,704 times
Is it pretty close to School of Visual Arts?

I got robbed in front of an SVA Campus, which is right around that area.
I was taking summer classes as a HS student a few years ago there. (Maybe it's just because I am a petite female? that bastard!)

I could have just been at the wrong place at the wrong time because he certainly did not look like he belonged there.

I was staying at my uncles apartment at 14th st and 2nd ave I think (right by Union Square)
I am from Queens.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:35 PM

Thanks for all the replies!

But here is the thing, at first we have been looking in 'prime' areas of Brooklyn - Manhattan looked way over our budget, but still we wanted to buy in some nice place (at least considered as such) so that we could resell it quickly and easily if needed.

Totally by chance, 2 weeks ago I spot this place - same seize, same amenities etc. And same price, in Manhattan! We thought hard about what could explain that (the kitchen is a mess, some other things need to be repaired) but still this looks like a good deal.

And now this... so I am wandering, maybe this is the catch - and we should spend our savings in Brooklyn in a real nice place instead of there.
This is a lot of money for us and we really really don't want to mess up!

Old 03-29-2010, 10:58 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,390,804 times
On that stretch of 23rd, The Gramercy is much closer First Avenue, and the VA, which has a methadone clinic. If the apartment you're considering needs renovations, I would think that would be the major reason as to why it's a lower price in that neighborhood, since recent years have seen high-end properties being built, and sold, in the immediate area.

In the immediate area, the block may rank a little lower, but in terms of the overall city, it's far from the worst in Manhattan.

ETA: IIRC, there's another methadone clinic at Bellvue, but the problem of people loitering has been a topic of the East Side Alliance for a while, so it's not being ignored by residents and businesses.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-30-2010, 06:13 AM

Ok again, thanks for the replies.

One last question to all of you guys: if you had to rank the Manhattan neighbourhoods in terms of perceived sense of safety, which one would be the worst?
Let's just put aside Harlem here for a second, just to avoid discussion like 'which is more dangerous, east Harlem or central Harlem'.

I have been living in New York for 3 years now and have been more or less in every part of the city at least once, I am just curious to see if I agree with your thoughts...

Thanks!!

Old 03-30-2010, 09:00 AM

11 posts, read 40,305 times
phil75,

Despite the public services like clinics, etc. in that area, I really can't see how the area you posted about would be any more dangerous than the city in general. Definitely safer than the areas of Harlem you mentioned and completely liveable, right?

Old 03-30-2010, 09:29 AM

747 posts, read 2,758,250 times
Default Is 23rd st & 2nd av a safe area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil75 View Post
I have been living in New York for 3 years now and have been more or less in every part of the city at least once, I am just curious to see if I agree with your thoughts...
Sorry if I struggle to take you seriously. You've lived here for 3 years and you can't decide if 23rd/2nd is a safe area (or as safe as the city in general)?

Old 03-30-2010, 02:17 PM

Well, I have never said I thought this area or the city in general looked unsafe in any way.

But I have to admit that I have mostly stayed in the most crowed and busiest parts of New york. I work midtown and live downtown, this is really where I spend my time, around my place and my work (I know it is sad).

I only been in this particular place 2 times, on Sunday afternoon and again it looked perfectly fine. Now when this woman told me I should be cautious, and since it looked like she knew far more than me about it, I posted this question - that's it.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:36 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,390,804 times
It's a legitimate concern when one hears the words "methadone clinic" in relation to a property where they are about to spend a good amount of hard-earned money. That could give anyone pause, because of the propensity for nefarious activities to take place in relation to such establishments.

You certainly do not want to lose money, nor be a prisoner in a nice building, afraid to walk the streets, so it's perfectly natural to ask an opionion. Now, we had a thread the other day about a rental in the same general area, and it was pointed out that there is a bodega that is not as nice, and can attract odd characters in the night, but you can always walk to the 24-hour Walgreeens for anything you might need off-hours.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: